stealth backup light mount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a878bob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm fine tuning my stealth rig for caving. What seems the best place to mount your backup lights?
I tried mounting one on my left d ring and tucking in the inner tube near the bottom of my shoulder strap, but that's seems way too hard to get out. The light is partially covered by the wing, and difficult to get to under the tank. So I moved it to my pouch, easy to get to, but takes a few steps to get it out, but at least I'm sure I could get it out in black out conditions by feel.

Not sure if this would work with the Stealth but after much experimenting with my SMS 75 I clip my back-up lights to the d-rings then UP the shoulder strap secured by the usual inner tube. They ride nicely near my shoulders and the little bit of weight they provide sits nicely for trim.

Does the light ride above or below your upper d ring?
As I'm thinking about it, that probably won't work with my stealth. The hollis has shoulder straps that run straight down. The stealth shoulder straps run almost immediately under my arms and back to the plate. I don't have enough real estate to mount them there.

Last edited:
I tried the D-rings on the last trip after I gave up on the helmet(got tired of the racket). I didn't like them there, though, so they ended up in the pouch.

Last edited:
Does the light ride above or below your upper d ring?
As I'm thinking about it, that probably won't work with my stealth. The hollis has shoulder straps that run straight down. The stealth shoulder straps run almost immediately under my arms and back to the plate. I don't have enough real estate to mount them there.

They run above the upper d-ring and rest pretty much on my shoulders. Very easy to deploy and as I said put a little weight where it helps with trim.

Back in the day when I had my Nomad XT, I would stow them "Hogarthian Style". While that worked fine with a "larger" sidemount rig I quickly found it to be a little awkward with the more minimalistic style rigs that have hit the scene in the past couple of years. Since then I have gone to stashing my back ups in my thigh pockets, and a third(small) back up on my decompression bottle.

Use a torch selected to match the outside of your pouch.
I have three in/on the Razor Pouch:
12647329_1536374469988765_2487453070650164862_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom