Straits of Mackinac - June 21-24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Papaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I had the pleasure of diving the Straits of Mackinac last Thu-Sun out of Mackinaw City. The trip was organized by Duane Johnson (ppo2_diver, Precision Diving) and the charter operator was Shipwreck Explorers (Jitka Hanakova). We dove out of the State DNR Harbor in Mackinaw City.

For the first 3 days (Thu-Sat) we had beautiful weather, great lake conditions (slighly choppy at times but not bad at all), and surprisingly warm water temps that seemed to be cooling down by the end of the weekend. Sunday was rainy initially, but by the time we hit the first dive site the rain was subsiding. All told it was a fabulous trip diving some awesome wrecks!

Here's the run-down:

Thu 6/21
- Cedarville Bow Section ... 40 min, 96', 52 F, at least 50' viz
- William H Barnum ... 40 min, 69', 59 F, 40-50' viz
Fri 6/22
- Eber Ward ... I had to sit that one out due to an equipment issue I later fixed
- Sandusky ... 42 min, 77', 58 F, 40-50' viz
Sat 6/23
- William Young ... 30 min, 108', 51 F, 30-40' viz
- Cedarville Stern Section ... 33 min, 93', 49 F, 20' viz
Sun 6/24
- Eber Ward ... Finally got to dive it! ... 26 min, 110', 48 F, 40' viz
- Minneapolis ... 29 min, 103', 49 F, 30' viz

We used Northern Michigan Dive Center in Cheboygan MI (15-20 min SE of Mackinaw City right on US23) for air fills. Highly recommended!

Thanks to Duane Johnson (Precision Diving - The Leader for Recreational and Technical Scuba Diving Classes in Chicago) and Jitka Hanakova (Shipwreck Explorers) for running a great trip!

For those with non-diving spouses, my wife came along on this trip and had a blast! Mackinaw City is a fun summer village to explore, and there is of course world famous Mackinac Island.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great report Jim!

I enjoyed my dives in the straits last year. I love that the wrecks are so convenient to get to from any harbor. No long rides on the boat. You barely have time to get gear ready and the charter is already tied into the mooring and you are ready for diving. Not to many places around that can boast that! :)

Thanks for the report. Glad you had a good trip!

Note to self: I need to dive the straits this summer

Thanks for the report. I'm heading up there tonight & diviv' Saturday & Sunday.

Thanks for the report. I was so close I had dinner with your skipper. Maybe we will meet next time. The ward is still my favorite dive. First time on the young for me and that wreck was top notch. I was particularly amazed at the petoskey stone reef it was on. Most the wrecks are in mud.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom