Student dead - West Vancouver, British Columbia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder what class is 4 days? AOW is 5 dives, but usually done in 2 days (from my exp.)
My guess is that it was the 4th dive, not day, of a 4 day class. It wouldn't be the first time that the media got a basic point wrong.

I dove to 130' for my PADI AOW in 1993.
But that was 1993, not 2016. Training standards today state max depth for the AOW deep dive as 100'. AOW in 1993 may have been different, I don't have my manual from that far back.

My guess is that it was the 4th dive, not day, of a 4 day class. It wouldn't be the first time that the media got a basic point wrong.
From the article "She was about 40 metres below the surface on her second dive of the day"
Makes you wonder what the days dive plans were. Typically I wouldn't conduct a 130' dive as dive 2 in AOW without a long surface interval.

From the article "She was about 40 metres below the surface on her second dive of the day"
Makes you wonder what the days dive plans were. Typically I wouldn't conduct a 130' dive as dive 2 in AOW without a long surface interval.
I'm pretty sure that this was a deep diver specialty course, as that is a 4 dive. AOW is 5 and limited to 100' for the deep adventure dive.

Reading Deco for Divers, it discusses the myth in which deepest dives have to be conducted first. No one can justify it, yet it remains as "common knowledge." I don't have the wreck specialty manual with me to discuss the depths at each dive. I do remember however that the first dive is to go to 100 feet, just as one would for the AOW adventure dive.

Four days could cover AOW and Deep.

Bob
Theoretically true, but unlikely. While some courses are conducted during the workweek, most classes around here (Salish Sea) are taught during the weekends only. GUE fundies and rebreather training are taught around here (as to the best of my knowledge) continuously. Others, not so much.

I could be wrong, however.

FWIW, I did my AOW and Deep on the same weekend (3 days), 9 dives in total.

Percentage wise, I would guess that people like you are significantly in the minority.

Percentage wise, I would guess that people like you are significantly in the minority.

A LDS here regularly runs 9 dive AOW weekends. The AOW fee encompasses all 9 dives, if you choose to take the cert, the fees can be paid for the Deep and PPB specialties. But you get to do all the dives regardless.

Friday: PPB, Navigation, Night
Saturday: 3 x Deep
Sunday: Deep, Search & Recovery, PPB

A LDS here regularly runs 9 dive AOW weekends. The AOW fee encompasses all 9 dives, if you choose to take the cert, the fees can be paid for the Deep and PPB specialties. But you get to do all the dives regardless.

Friday: PPB, Navigation, Night
Saturday: 3 x Deep
Sunday: Deep, Search & Recovery, PPB
Yeah, I'll never teach classes like that. I think students retain a lot more knowledge and skills if they space it apart and are better rested. If I "credit" a dive with an adventure dive as part of AOW, then I offer my students a separate dive with additional skills/experiences.

Yup, me too. A long weekend with 3 dive days and 9 dives for the AOW and Deep Specialty. Very common around here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom