Student Pulled from Elliott Bay in Seattle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a hypothesis, a suspicion (or is it an instinct?). All was apparently well as the students signaled ready for ascent. Ascent began, one student disappears. My hypothesis is that the lost student was kicked by another, potentially dislodging her reg and /or mask. She may not have been able to locate her reg to replace it and /or choked and panicked whether early or late in the process. I'm still trying to suss out the 69' if depth is only 40'.

What are currents like at this site?

Despite the "rescue" from the bottom, the chest compressions etc.,her death wouldn't have been called until a doctor called it once she was at the hospital. In other words, it's likely she'd been dead when found on the bottom, at whatever depth that was.

:( She might have tried her best. She might have had very good instruction. She just wasn't able to overcome the results of the 'kick'or what have you. Something very sad and incredibily unfortunate happened here. :(

And your hypothesis is likely right, spot on, or way out in left field. If we're focused on a single incident, sure, she lost her reg and drowned. Or she panicked and drowned. Or she passed out due to cold and drowned, or whatever happened. And if we only want to look at a single incident, great, she is dead, and that's so sad. But the reality is, it's another case of losing student control. Now, I'm a firm believer in putting divers in challenging conditions. It's how we become better divers. I personally am an 80/80/80 diver, I am uncomfortable in low vis. My bride doesn't care if she is diving in a closed tank at night with no light. She goes in caves, I don't. Point is, if you can't see your student under all expected scenarios during the dive, don't make the dive. When they are no longer your student, the level of intensity and responsibility isn't so high.

I can't tell you how long I've preached that the Captain or Operator is responsible for his or her divers from the moment they step on the boat until you have them back at the dock. No, there is nothing you can do for them when they are at the bottom, so you'd better make sure they are good to go before they step off the boat to make the dive. I got tremendous pushback from divers and Captains who will loudly proclaim that they are merely a taxi driver and not responsible for their divers. I think that the situations in Virginia and LA show that the Coast Guard agrees with me, not with the taxi drivers.

In the same vein, I maintain that the scuba instructor is 100% responsible for the student from the moment they step into the water until they are back on shore. It's a dumb decision to not be able to see something if you are responsible for it.

Yes, of course, I might be out to lunch and even if I'm completely right, we may never know that either. Be that as it may, the instructor was attempting to remove the students from the bad viz. I also hypothesize that the four were clumped too closely together during ascent in an effort to be able to see one another at that point, it's not just bad viz from silt out, there's bodies everywhere bumping one another, bubbles everywhere further obscuring the ability to clearly count all arms amd legs until heads rise above the surface.

Right now, the viz in Puget Sound is pretty good, 15' to 20'. Of course, if students crater on descent where there is a lot of silt, it goes to zero very quickly. [.....]Small ratios are critical. Those are the facts with regards to diving around here in general. [....] I would state that even with small rations (1:3), 1:2 is really more appropriate (though I don't think would have changed this outcome). [...] Maybe even 1:1 ratios if the viz is bad enough [....] [....] According to this report, the instructor was with 3 students [link]

I think that viz is the heart of the matter. Around Minneapolis, the viz in lakes used for open-water instruction is typically 10-15' but can go to 3' without much warning if there are storms any time during the preceding few days. In 3-5' even experienced divers can become separated. So the question is how do you teach in that environment, and what is reasonable.

Ratios. The place where I'm getting air teaches open water with a max ratio of 1:2. Typically it's an instructor taking one or two students to the lake. But maybe 1:1 would be safer here.

I've seen classes go out in conditions that I refused to go in the water. Poor judgement in my opinion, but the 'system' puts a lot of pressure on the instructors, and that includes the demands of the students. They have no idea what decent conditions are since they have absolutely no experience. They are kind of at the hands of decisions made by other people, people that they are supposed to trust.

I agree with that. It isn't realistic to expect a student to call the dive based on viz. They don't have the experience to do that, and the instructor/shop is unlikely to respect that decision.

The way you overcome the pressure etc is by making the decision making process objective. Make a standard that you teach at 1:3 below 15' viz, 1:2 below 10' viz, 1:1 below 5' viz, and not at all below 3', then measure it with a spinning plate or something before the dive or when conditions change during the dive. It doesn't have to be the agency that sets standards like that -- they can be done by individual shops or instructors.

Things you can get away with in the tropics can go very very wrong in our conditions. We don't believe a tropical OW certified diver can dive around here until they prove it. That's not to be haughty or 'tough', it's prudent and a safety issue.

What that means in the context of this particular accident is that the transition from pool to OW is more difficult, which has implications for both how the pool session is handled and how the OW dives are handled. When the viz is poor for the OW, it is more important that the students fully develop their skills in the pool.

Where did we lose empathy as dive instructors? Why didn't we learn that some folks can be pushed, some coddled, some at their own pace and some in a classroom setting? [...]Why does it have to be the students fault that they forgot to check gauges? They are students. We as instructors are responsible for everything they do, up to and after a card is issued.

This. Teaching is an art and science of its own. Like guitar teachers and flight instructors, there are too many diving instructors who are teaching not because they like students or like to teach, but because teaching is the only practical way to make money doing an activity they love.

I don't think there is any way to change that, but it is possible to put objective standards in place to try to overcome the safety-related implications.

Looking at the schedule on the Seattle Scuba website, the Confined Water portion of the class is one evening in the pool from 6:30PM to 11:00PM.

I know this sort of thing is allowed, but I think it's a bad idea, and I think it contributes to accidents like this. Pedagogic theory tells us that the skills can't be learned as well in a one-day session as in a two-day session. Weaker skills, combined with poor viz in OW and excessive students per instructor, makes instruction risky.

Entire companies have safety stand downs because they have a global issue with safety. It's all a part of establishing a safety culture instead of giving lip service to safety. The question posed on the first page of this thread was "why does this keep happening?" I proposed that it keeps happening because the culture of safety in SCUBA has been ignored in favor of short term profits

While I agree with much of what you wrote, I don't believe that safety culture is the culprit here. I think it's a lack of objective standards.

I've seen environments with a lack of safety culture. I would characterize these environments as disregarding established best practices and safety protocols. Examples would be: not using eye protection, not using gloves and a respirator when handling toxic chemicals, failing to replace damaged guards, using a damaged ladder, exceeding the safe capacity of lifting equipment. In all these cases there were specific standards that were violated out of apathy, overconfidence, cost concerns, or whatever.

That's not what happened here. You could characterize this accident either as a failure of judgment (because the instructor should have called the dive given the ratios and conditions), or a failure of standards.

I think there should be standards specific to conditions. It's one thing to do the pool session in one day and have a big class in the water in completely benign conditions (viz, swell, current, temperature, etc). It's quite another to do it when conditions are measurably, objectively, demonstrably poor.

Wrong

Entire companies have safety stand downs because they have a global issue with safety. It's all a part of establishing a safety culture instead of giving lip service to safety. The question posed on the first page of this thread was "why does this keep happening?" I proposed that it keeps happening because the culture of safety in SCUBA has been ignored in favor of short term profits, not for the individual instructor, not for the dive shop in question, but for the benefit of (not even the training agency itself) a holding company that knows less about diving than the nubbiest of open water students.

But the PADI fanboys in the audience can't possibly stand to think that there is a global issue with dive training, so short-sighted moderators look through a microscope and limit the analysis to one issue, "Why did this woman die?", instead of seeing that the entire industry has issues with safety.

Why did this woman die? Because her instructor thought it was safe to train her in crap vis with inappropriate ratios. Just like in a lake in Utah. Just like on a DSD in Hawaii, Thailand, and Australia all of which have lawsuits all pending against the same training agency. Just like an open water class in a lake in Virginia. Shall I go back and list all of the dead open water students who died in poor visibility because their instructor lost student control? The same agency that goes back and throws it's instructors under the bus for making bad decisions.

One bad decision is an anomaly. Two bad decisions is bad luck. When we get past three bad decisions, I start to see a systemic problem. You don't see it because you don't really understand root cause analysis, but it's OK, Marg, just fall back on your moderator credentials to limit the conversation to a single incident. If we only look at a single incident, and only one at a time, there isn't really a problem that needs facing, is there?
I don't think I would count myself as a PADI fan-boy. Don't give a rip one way or the other, actually. What I AM going by is my experience in health care and critical incident analysis in that area. Certainly education/training could be considered in such, but it is very, very specific...not just the "send them all back to school for a few years" nature. And if I had been wearing my mod hat, my message would have been posted as a mod message.

What appears to keep happening is that instructors put non-certified students* in situations where they find they cannot keep all the students in view. And then the instructor comes to the surface and they are short one or more students, and it's another "unpredictable freak accident". Which is pretty much identical to the "unpredictable freak accident" that occurred last month, and the "unpredictable freak accident" that occurred two months before that. And will be essentially identical to the "unpredictable freak accident" that will occur in the next three months.

Maybe if instructors stopped putting non-certified divers into situations where the visibility and/or conditions can be predicted to possibly prevent them from maintaining clear visual contact and ability to easily reach all the students these"unpredictable freak accidents" would stop happening again and again?

*I'm including people doing some variety of DSD in the term students.

Last edited:
I got my initial certification here in Puget Sound. At that time we had a lot more pool work than just one session. We didn't progress to open water until we were known to be comfortable in the water under various circumstances, like with a mask suddenly removed, or regulator pulled loose. The next step was snorkeling in wet suits in the salt water. By the time we actually were scuba diving in open water we had quite a bit of instruction and observation to be sure we were well prepared.

I know that diving in clear, warm water is far less challenging than diving in a colder environment with lower visibility and the preparation for each needs to be different to be safe. One size does not fit all.

When I took my initial open water course, it was about 15 weeks long. The first night was swimming skills, the next five were snorkeling and snorkeling skills, and the last eight were actual scuba skills. Once certified, I did quite a number of dives before I went on to the advanced course - the dives were to get comfortable in the water. Once comfortable in the water I took the advanced course, and progressed on to the point where I have the Master Scuba Diver rating. Recognizing that some new divers are much better than others, I sometimes question how you can take a new diver, and have them attending an Instructor Development Course with a minimum of 60 dives.

Divegoose

When I took my initial open water course, it was about 15 weeks long. The first night was swimming skills, the next five were snorkeling and snorkeling skills, and the last eight were actual scuba skills. Once certified, I did quite a number of dives before I went on to the advanced course - the dives were to get comfortable in the water. Once comfortable in the water I took the advanced course, and progressed on to the point where I have the Master Scuba Diver rating. Recognizing that some new divers are much better than others, I sometimes question how you can take a new diver, and have them attending an Instructor Development Course with a minimum of 60 dives.

Divegoose
I don't think you should be a instructor with only 60 dives. In fact to my knowledge only NAUI is that low. When I was on the board for NAUI I tried to convince my fellow board members to raise the number of dives for an instructor but was unsuccessful. I wanted the standards raised to at least those of the RSTC (100).

I don't think you should be a instructor with only 60 dives. In fact to my knowledge only NAUI is that low. When I was on the board for NAUI I tried to convince my fellow board members to raise the number of dives for an instructor but was unsuccessful. I wanted the standards raised to at least those of the RSTC (100).

Chris; you have it right. Hard to imagine a flight instructor with 60 hrs. of flt. time.

I always equate dive training to flight training, not bunny slope 1st day ski demo.

I remember talking with PADI HQ folks when they were deciding to "make diving easy" and then the internet courses and "quickie" courses evolved.

Dive training does not at all need to be "hard" but it should be inclusive with multiple classroom face to face sessions with a qualified instructor, pool practice, 4-5 supervised open water dives, and encouragement to continue training.

The current quick/internet based courses are perhaps a profit center for those who sponsor/promote them. It is the new student who loses.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom