Stung by a Rockfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I teach Pacific NW Fish ID to divers, and one of the questions they always have is HOW BAD DO ROCKFISH STING?

Not having personal experience in that area, and appreciating every mm of neoprene I wear on my hands, I really like hearing about others' experiences on the topic. Thanks guys!!

I also stumbled across this fisherman's experience with a Black Rockfish. Sounds like he's been nailed a few other times as well.

http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure/angling/protalk/thornton/saltwaterff10.phtml

I am under the understanding that Cabezon are not poisonous - just their eggs. (nice purply masses that they'll guard fiercely! I've been rammed several times by these hefty bottomfish)

Actually Rockfish, Scorpionfish, and Lionfish are closely related their venom is not seriously dangerous to most peoplej. The people that should worry are people who are allergic to bee stings. Although if you ever get stung again, run hot water over the area that got stung (as hot as you can stand it) for 5 to 10 minutes, this breaks down the venom and will relieve your pain.

Rockfish sure do sting, although sometimes it's not that bad. While we are trolling for Salmon up here (Alaska), we catch many different species of rockfish, and often you will get stung while the fish is flip-flopping around during the "hook extraction" phase. I've had mild ooey-gooey wounds on my hands, and other times it's not much to speak of. My uncle, however, is a commercial fisherman, and a few years back he got spined big time - 3 spines broke off in the back of his hand. It was NASTY - they had to cut necrotic portions out, sew him up, and he was bandaged & swollen for quite some time.
Of course if he would have come off the fishing grounds a few days earlier to seek medical attention, it would not have been so bad, but he is one of those bullheaded "time is money" fishermen who are so focused on their livelihood....darn him! :eek:ut:

I was stung just over 2 wks ago in the Sea of Cortez. Never had anything hurt so bad in my life. After a 2-hr boat ride back to dock, I did soak my hand in HOT water for the next 4 hrs. It took out the throbbing, but the swelling and the pain were and ARE still there. Swelling gone down some, but still very painful--can't bend middle finger all the way yet. Yikes! how long does this last? Saw improvement for the first 8-10 days, but now the swelling & pain are just pretty constant. Tried to see a Dr in Mexico, but the clinic was crowded & time didn't permit. Is it too late for any treatment? I'm thinking it will eventually go away, but sure is uncomfortable now!

Saw improvement for the first 8-10 days, but now the swelling & pain are just pretty constant.
Grouper,

There's a good chance after this much time has elapsed that you've got an infection of some sort, which needs to be treated with antibiotics. So this armchair dr. thinks you should get that hand seen by a REAL Doc, pronto!!

:wacko:

grouper4246 once bubbled...
I was stung just over 2 wks ago in the Sea of Cortez Saw improvement for the first 8-10 days, but now the swelling & pain are just pretty constant. Tried to see a Dr in Mexico, but the clinic was crowded & time didn't permit. Is it too late for any treatment? I'm thinking it will eventually go away, but sure is uncomfortable now!

I agree fully with Scubamom, after two weeks you have an infected hand. Dont wait for it to heal on its own! The problem is that the infection can cause all kinds of problems from septic arthritis in the joint, to a fatal blood infection, to bacterial infections of the heart valves (endocarditis). The responsible bug is usually not a marine bacterium but staph aureus, the bug which causes most wound infections, and the complications mentioned above. Get yourself seen by a clinic ASAP, get the wound cultured, get put on antibiotics.

I recently had a puncture wound by a nonvenomous fish spine (while fishing) and ended up with a staph infection in my finger, so I have had a similar experience. A few days of antibiotics, and all was fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom