Suggested Dive Destinations/itinerary For Bali In September?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another vote for Gekodivers in Padang Bai.
In Tulamben, the cheapest with correct dive guides will be Puri Madha (there are even cheaper low cost companies like the gringos Dive Concepts but then you know the saying "pay peanuts..." ) I would recommend Liberty dive centre (free nitrox, free private guide) or Matahari (excellent dive guides).

Komodo of you're looking for very short live aboards (3 days), you might be interested with Blue Marlin or Dive Komodo; there's also Komodo Aventure that organizes 5 days liveaboards on the JIngoJango that you can privately charter for 1100USD.

Another vote for Gekodivers in Padang Bai.
In Tulamben, the cheapest with correct dive guides will be Puri Madha (there are even cheaper low cost companies like the gringos Dive Concepts but then you know the saying "pay peanuts..." ) I would recommend Liberty dive centre (free nitrox, free private guide) or Matahari (excellent dive guides).

Komodo of you're looking for very short live aboards (3 days), you might be interested with Blue Marlin or Dive Komodo; there's also Komodo Aventure that organizes 5 days liveaboards on the JIngoJango that you can privately charter for 1100USD.

Thanks, Luko. I'm jotting notes down. Great info.

I really appreciate everyone's help here. I'm leaning towards doing a 3 night 4 day LOB. (Way to enable, guys! In the process of talking my DB/SO into it now. If all goes forward, not sure how to space out the rest of the itinerary. Any suggestions? We'd love to get some really awesome beach time in (any favorites?) as well. Thanks!

Sep 23 - Arrive DPS (Bali) around 8PM.
Sept 24 - ?
Sept 25 - ?
Sept 26 - ?
Sept 27 - ? evening flight to Labuan Bajo
Sep 28 - Komodo LOB
Sep 29 - Komodo LOB
Sep 30 - Komodo LOB
Oct 1 - Komodo LOB
Oct 2 - ?
Oct 3 - 9:45 PM flight home out of DPS (Bali)

I would hit Tulamben for the critters!! You can do some exploration(27th) on your no dive before fly day! Just arrange for some temple tours on your way back to Denpasar for your evening flight. On the way back from Komodo, go to Ubud for some culture!!!

Do you think it's likely to be a better value if I do a lot of research on my own and line up my own accommodations/transportation and day/multi day dives at each location?

I recently put together my own "dive safari," not so much because I was convinced it was cheaper but more because I think working with a dive operator in each location will ensure I will have a local guide who dives the sites every day and has more inside knowledge than a guide who drives me all over Bali. My trip is in about four weeks, so I will see how it works out! Transportation is easy to arrange. Everyone in Bali has a brother who is a "driver" who can take you anywhere in Bali you want to go. Every dive center can arrange for a driver to pick you up from anywhere.

Hi,

Just to add on over here. I've done a lot of research and figured out the following:

Stay in Padang Bai for 3-4 Days and cover the dive sites in this area (I'm going to be diving with Geko)
Post that i'm heading to Tulamben. You want to stay here and dive so you can start early and avoid the rush on this site and also lets you do a night dive. Plus you can cover Amed from here.

Post this i'm headed to Komodo and diving with Scuba Junkies. They have got great reviews and a very attractive all inclusive package.

@Cali_divergirl @Lorenzoid @Aiyush Gupta

Thanks for your replies! I'm writing these all down as you make the suggestions. I just booked Komodo 3 nights 4 days with Komodo Dive Center on the Mastro Aldo. I'm still working on the specific itinerary before and after the LOB so please keep the suggestions coming and I will do more research OR if you want, you can slot in the activities for me as I have outlined above from day to day. :)

The next thing I am thinking about is how cold I'm going to be. I hear there is a large range of temperatures in Komodo but the LOB only rents out 3mm -- there seems to be some temps where I'd rather just be in a 7mm!

Double check with the liveaboard, but if you are doing a 3night trip it's doubtful you'll get to south Komodo, where the waters are much cooler in September. Generally, with the exception of some cold water upwellings central and the north Komodo average 82f/28c - 84f/29c. At that time of year I dive in a well used 3mm with 1mm hooded vest and 5mm booties and I'm fine (I'm known to be a wimp when it comes to cold water).

I hope I didn't just jinx you for unseasonably cold water :wink:!

Have a fantastic time in Komodo and get ready to be amazed by it's beauty!

Cheers,

Double check with the liveaboard, but if you are doing a 3night trip it's doubtful you'll get to south Komodo, where the waters are much cooler in September. Generally, with the exception of some cold water upwellings central and the north Komodo average 82f/28c - 84f/29c. At that time of year I dive in a well used 3mm with 1mm hooded vest and 5mm booties and I'm fine (I'm known to be a wimp when it comes to cold water).

I hope I didn't just jinx you for unseasonably cold water :wink:!

Have a fantastic time in Komodo and get ready to be amazed by it's beauty!

Cheers,

Good to know. I think we may be similar levels of "wimps". 28-29C is definitely a 3mm for me. :D I really appreciate your response. Thank you so much!

My wife and I took our 5/4 mm suits for a Komodo liveaboard because we had heard about the surprising range of temperatures. There was only ONE dive (Manta Alley maybe?) where I was glad I had the thicker suit. For all of the rest of the dives I wished I had my 3 mm, which, like most people, I find more comfortable and easier to don and doff. It's hot topside. A thick suit takes the joy out of the tropics.

I hate 5mm wetsuits! But I fell in love with it diving south Komodo and Rincha! Then I hated it again when I was diving in the North. I'm fickle that way. Seriously, I wish I had a 7mm in the South, I was there a couple of years ago in July and the North was warm both above and below.

Lucky diver! Hmmm, I need to look at going back.

Back
Top Bottom