Question Suggested weather-"safe" & reasonably-priced locations for OW checkouts in March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-JD-

Eclecticist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My sister-in-law and nephew got (half) skunked and couldn't finish their OW checkouts on our December trip to Cozumel due to 3 days of port closure and backed-up demand. Now they need to do the final 2 dives (and hopefully some "real" diving.)

They are considering doing it in March when my nephew is on spring break and have asked me for advise.

We traveled to the Keys in March of 2018 and were blown out (other than seeing an under-water sand-storm in the Pennekamp lagoon for 5 minutes while trying (yea, really that bad - 6" viz) to do a weight-check - no diving. From what I have read subsequently, that is not unusual. I don't want to set them up for another disappointment ... And keys have gotten pricey too.

Thoughts on areas that are significantly more likely to be dive-able in March, with access to a PADI-op, and that won't break the bank?

My sister-in-law and nephew got (half) skunked and couldn't finish their OW checkouts on our December trip to Cozumel due to 3 days of port closure and backed-up demand. Now they need to do the final 2 dives (and hopefully some "real" diving.)

They are considering doing it in March when my nephew is on spring break and have asked me for advise.

We traveled to the Keys in March of 2018 and were blown out (other than seeing an under-water sand-storm in the Pennekamp lagoon for 5 minutes while trying (yea, really that bad - 6" viz) to do a weight-check - no diving. From what I have read subsequently, that is not unusual. I don't want to set them up for another disappointment ... And keys have gotten pricey too.

Thoughts on areas that are significantly more likely to be dive-able in March, with access to a PADI-op, and that won't break the bank?

Pura Vida in Riviera Beach FL perhaps? They own 2 boats, go out of the largest inlet in the area (thus get blown out the least) and also do checkouts at Blue Heron Bridge if they cannot get offshore. They are a PADI shop and teach up through IDC. They have 2 Course Directors on staff and many instructors.

Another option is Sea Experience in Ft. Lauderdale, but they have no good shore options for checkouts like Pura Vida does.

How about some of the larger Caverns in "cave country" do they do any OW checkouts in the spring portions at all?

Depending on where you are flying from Curacao can be budget friendly, also Roatan. Spring break tends to drive up airfares so that is working against you as well.

On Curacao, like Bonaire, if you have your own gear and are comfortable executing a shore dive with your buddy or squad (my wife and our three children for me) dives cost between $12-$15 per person.

Most of our local shops in north/central Florida do their checkout dives in the springs; constant 72-degrees year-round and guaranteed not to blow out. (Some of the springs brown out/flood occasionally; this isn't really a problem, there are always a few that stay clear regardless of river/rain conditions and are suitable for training/checkout dives).

Bird's and Spring Run are both great PADI options in the area; if you're open to SSI, check out Florida Springs Scuba. All will do referral dives, I believe.

There are inexpensive vacation rentals in the High Springs area; you'd want to rent a car, but there's a lot of good diving you can take them on after they're certified. A lot of OW checkout dives are done in Devil's Den, Blue Grotto, Troy, and Manatee. There's plenty of springs around to keep them occupied afterwards. In addition to those (if they didn't visit them during their checkout dives), I usually suggest new divers try the following spots once they're certified:
  • Alexander
  • Fanning
  • Manatee Headspring
  • Troy
  • Royal
All are shallow (max 60' for most), offer limited to no overhead environment, and generally good light/visibility. There's a full list of the open-water friendly springs (and map) here. I find new folks have the most fun diving the springs when dives are paired with visiting little local watering holes and restaurants, or make a day of it and do a post-dive grill/BBQ.

If it's still cold when you're here, snorkeling with the manatees at Crystal River is also a lot of fun (but only if outside temps are in the 50s or below, you really want to catch the manatees when they come into the springs to get out of the cold in the Gulf).

Southeast Florida will be a good choice, IMO. We have great diving in March...my dive logs show I did 8 tanks this past March and had some memorable dives.

I think it's a good idea for you for a few reasons:

1. You're in the Philly area and will have about 100 cheap flights a day to MIA, FLL or PBI.
2. You have access to many, many good dive centers up and down the coast
3. You can take your pick as to what area works best for you regarding pricing. I would target Fort Lauderdale, Lauderdale-by-the-Sea and Pompano areas to start. Then look at the Miami and Palm Beach/Riviera beach areas.
4. Lots to do besides diving and a wide range of budget-friendly food, drink, and lodging.

Worst case scenario - if the weather is terrible, many dive shops in Broward and Divers Paradise in Key Biscayne will do a checkout dive at Tigertail Lake in Dania Beach.

Bonaire or Curacao is the some of the most reliable weather in the Florida and Caribbean area. Lots of dive shops and operators to choose from on both islands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom