Sunset House Singles Special

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We visited the Our World Underwater scuba show in Chicago yesterday and Sunset House was advertising their "singles special" so I am posting it here in case anyone is interested.

http://www.sunsethouse.com/resort/specials-events.htm

Traveling Solo? Singles Special is Back!

Well received last year, Sunset House is offering a special for the single diver who is looking for a dive package, but feels penalized, because they incur the ENTIRE cost of a room. Well, we have the answer!

This special is only for our Courtyard rooms, based on availability. Includes 7 nights accommodations in a courtyard room, 6 days of two tank boat diving, unlimited shore diving (with a buddy and we’ll help pair folks up as best we can), daily breakfast, transfers from and to the airport here in Grand Cayman and all tax and service changes.

Special Price US$1807.95
(Regular price would be US$2281.50)
A savings of over US$473.00.
Special Ends December 21, 2016.

Couple of questions.

1.) They mention single divers 'feeling penalized' by having to incur the entire cost of a room. When I went on a live-aboard in Belize, they (Aggressor fleet) just put another guy in the other bed in the room. didn't cost me anything extra because I was traveling alone. So what happens if a solo traveler books with Sunset House, and doesn't mind if Sunset puts a same gender person in the other bed in the room? Is that cool, or do single travelers have to pay for a whole room?

2.) They mention unlimited shore diving with a buddy and that they'll try to pair folks up as best they can. Anybody know what happens if someone shows up, grabs a tank and tries to dive solo?

These things would be good to know.

Richard.

Many tropical resort hotels charge a single supplement for an individual traveling alone. I don't know of any hotels that will pair up same gender guests. I've heard that Club Med does that but I don't know for sure.

Some resorts like Anthony's Key in Roatan frequently offer "2 for 1" vacations and that also usually means that there is no single supplement for an individual traveling alone.

I don't think that solo diving is permitted anywhere in the Caymans. The Caymans are a rather conservative country in many ways. There is no gambling permitted anywhere, most of the shops close up on Sunday, it's hard to buy a bottle of liquor on Sunday, and there is no nude or topless bathing allowed on the islands.

It's a little old-fashioned but that is part of the charm of these islands IMO. I don't think that parents would ever have to worry about taking young children to the Caymans. Too bad about the no single diving, though. It's not like Bonaire but it has other nice features.

My understanding is that most liveaboards will try and pair up same gender single divers but if someone wants a cabin to him/herself then he/she will have to pay a hefty single supplement. However, if the boat isn't fully booked up (or they can't sell the second bunk) then they often let the single divers have private rooms without paying the supplement.

Some economy liveaboards like Blackbeards don't have any single supplements because they mostly have single berths in dormitory style accomodations.

FYI, the single divers group at the link below runs trips and pairs up single and "buddyless" divers. They are planning a trip to Little Cayman in September and they have some inexpensive upcoming trips to Dominica.

SingleDivers.com - About

Last edited:
Thanks. Sometimes I travel alone, sometimes not. When I did the Sun Dancer 2 (now Belize Aggressor IV), I had a same gender room mate, but had one not shown up, it still wouldn't have cost me anything extra from what I understand. Similarly, I recently took advantage of the 32% Aggressor sale to book a Cayman Aggressor trip (instead of heading to the Bahamas like I planned; planning around work drama figured in with timing concerns), and booked a quad. room that was (& apparently now is again) $2,695, but I got for around $183x (something) or so.

Ironically, when I don't travel alone, land-based can be cheaper, since a number of people can share a room, which often brings the cost down. Live-aboards are often viewed as good value based in part of total trip cost/total # of dives, yielding a cost/dive to go with total dive #. As a value proposition, I suspect for the solo traveler tough to beat, but more complex for the non-solo diver.

"I don't think that solo diving is permitted anywhere in the Caymans."

I've gotten that impression, too, and I've tried without success to track down the root cause of it. Is it simply pervasive local dive op. policy? Some government law?

Richard.

Congratulations, we had a wonderful trip on the Cayman Aggressor! I hope that you have great weather and spend most of the time diving off of Bloody Bay Wall and Jackson's Bight off Little Cayman. The walls are gorgeous!

The Russian Frigate off of CB is an easy wreck dive and I think that they will also take you to the Kittiwake off of GC and that is a big boat and an interesting and easy dive.

When we headed back to GC at the end of the week they did a Sting Ray City dive, we were not all that excited because we had done it before and it has gotten so crazy crowded and packed with cruisers; but they got there very early in the morning and it was a wonderful experience.

I did get seasick during the crossing from GC to the sister islands, so if you are also prone to motion sickness remember to eat light, drink water, take motion sickness pills, and stay up top in the fresh air and stare at the horizon!

I think that if you book a liveaboard with the understanding that you are open to having a same-gender roommate(s) then you only have to pay for your portion - even if they don't sell the other bunks. It is only when you make it clear that you want a private cabin when you book that they charge you a single supplement - because they don't have an opportunity to try and sell the other bunks.

I believe that "no solo diving" is a law in the Caymans but I am not sure.

We were at the Our World Underwater Show on Sunday and that 32% off sale was enticing!

Have fun!

Last edited:
I just found this in the Cayman Islands Safe Diving Standards:

"The divers must dive in a buddy team and each member of the team must have a computer and understand computer diving techniques."

You mean Keith won't dive as my buddy? Tee hee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom