Surf suit over shortie scuba suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NotOnlyButAlsoPete

Registered
Reaction score
So here's the deal: My mother, god bless her soul, bought me a wetsuit when she learned I was getting certified for my 35th birthday. She bought a 4/3 O'Neil Epic full-suit. A surf suit, basically. Returning it was/is not an option.

I'm diving in SoCal, and when I told the guys at my LDS what I had, they told me no way it would be warm enough. So I rented a 7mm and forgot about the 4/3.

Later, on CL, I found a used 7mm Henderson. The guy even threw in a 3.5mm Henderson shortie.

The thing is, like a dummy, I bought a size too small. The 7mm works, but it's tight. So tight that I split the zipper. I was able to repair it, but I don't trust it and the suit just isn't comfortable. I did 3 dives this weekend and kept it on the whole time I was worried it was going to split. Thankfully it wasn't too hot or I would have died. It's also just about as hard to get out of as it is to get in. No bueno.

Turns out though that the shortie he gave me is an XL and fits like a charm. I've used it in the pool and love it. I don't think the guy used it once.

I tried the 4/3 over it, and it fits very nicely. With boots and gloves, it seems to seal up great.

Before I go jumping in the SoCal waters again this weekend (mid to high 60s on good days), I was wondering if I'm going to be having any problems I may not have considered by mixing a short dive suit with a full surf suit. I've read mixed things about doubling up on suits, and even worse things about using a surf suit, but nothing about the two together. I run pretty warm, and I feel like my core is pretty well covered and my arms and legs should be nice and flexible (something I didn't feel in a 7mm). Of course buying a new custom suit would be best, or just a better fitting 7mm, but I'm kinda liking the idea of the flexibility. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've heard that the neoprene typically used in surf suits gets crushed at depth. It's not designed for use in scuba. But that may not be true of your suit.

I normally wear the wetsuit jacket, the shortie in your case, on the outside over the jumpsuit. I don't think that there are any "danger" issues with the opposite as long as you are comfortable and they all fit you OK.

I am not sure that the surf suit is good for scuba diving at depth however it was meant for use at the surface not underwater.

I put a 3mm shorty underneath my rental 7mm for open water. Catalina was shivery that December. It still wasn't enough to keep me warm. I got a solaFX semidry and am now a happy diver.

Thanks for posting this question. It may have saved me a headache in a few months. We are going to Cayman Brac for a week, and my husband wanted to use an old 2/3 oneil surf suit we found at the thrift store for 15$. It seems to be in good shape. We tested it snorkeling in Catalina 2 weeks ago and he was plenty warm, figured at depth in CB it would work out just fine. I had not considered the crush factor. He has problems with his ears and most likely will be doing shallow dives (30-60). He's not going to like the fact that now he needs to go back into the dressing room :p. And I get to shop again! YAY! Even if its not for me its fun.

Back
Top Bottom