Suunto computer reading wrong depth

Have you had a Suunto dive computer indicate the wrong depth?

• I have a Stinger, D3, or Mosquito that has had this problem

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • I have a Stinger, D3, or Mosquito that has NOT had this problem

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • I have a Vytec, Vyper, or Favor that has had this problem

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • I have a Vytec, Vyper, or Favor that has NOT had this problem

Votes: 36 48.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey once bubbled...
Maybe...but I wouldn't blanket them all as bad. Anyone who has had a problem with their comp and noticed this thread is going to comment. I'm sure the numbers of people who didn't have any problems but didn't post are much higher.
In the two cases of SUUNTO computers lying about depth (one Cobra and one Vyper) that I personally know about, both were reading 4' - 8' shallow when they screwed up. There didn't seem to be any reason or common thread in the dive profiles - the error was present on about 4 dives in 50 for each of these computers before they were sent to
SUUNTO. (one of these was Rick's he mentioned earlier, the other belonged to a DiveCon) SUUNTO never admitteed there was anything wrong with these computers and claimed they were only tested and not fixed while there, but neither of them has had the error since, and both have hundreds of dives on them now.
My point is that the average recreational diver isn't likely to notice a 4' error that only happens occasionally, so I wonder how many SUUNTO's are out there with this error - and while 4' doesn't sound like much, it could hurt you easily on a decompression dive.
E.

jamiei once bubbled...
Actually, everyone that has had a problem has had their dc reading deeper than they actually were, right? This wouldn't really hurt you on a decompression dive, it would make it more conservative in theory anyway....
No, in the two cases I know of, both computers were reading shallow. Very bad potential.
Also, reading deep can be very bad as well as it can cause you to bust a mandatory deco stop depth.
IOW, inaccuracies of just a few feet - especially close to the surface, are unacceptable and dangerous.
E.

The reason I started this thread is that I have actually talked to half a dozen people who have had problems with their Stingers.

A few feet can be dangerous for deco, up OR down. 5 ft is probably not that big of a deal, but 10 ft is a huge problem. You'll either TOX or get bent.

Even for recreational diving 10 ft is a lot. 10 feet deeper for the whole dive really changes things if you are close to the limit.

This si the 1st I've heard about this. I have the Mosquito and a Cobra. I use the Mos as a backup/quick reference about half the time and so far it's been dead on with the cobra. How's the old saying go? If we're all wrong, we're alright?

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
Yeah, we have had two Mosquito's and one Stinger that we have sent back that is in dive mode at the surface...

AT surface, displays 40' or something, and is still calculating the dive...

We sent them back, and they replaced them... However, I have a Stinger, with over 100 dives on it, and its never done that to me. My Stinger is always within a foot of my cobra (thats just because the cobra is clipped off a little lower than the Stinger on my wrist) duh...

But, anyways, I think I am going with a VYper for my backup gauge from now on... Stinger will be relegated for tropical diving only...

I just sent my Mos off for the second time. I dive with both a Mosquito and a Cobra (a little weird I know, but I like redundancy), last month my Mosquito started acting like I had ended my dive (flashing between SI and no fly time)....unfortunately I was at 60 feet at the time. When I got to the boat, I did another battery check (I check it before each dive) and it showed three bars (as it did before the dive)...so I called the place up in IL and they said to send it in. When I spoke with the woman who worked on it...she informed me that I'm supposed to check the battery before I dive (DUH!). She said that when she looked at it, it only had one battery bar left. When I mentioned that it had three when I saw it last....she said that as soon as it went to four I should replace the battery (DOH!). I didn't like that answer much (if it's true, it's not her fault but a design flaw) I feel like if the things got 5 battery bars....I shouldn't have to change the thing at the first bar...anyway, she said that it acted wonky because it wasn't getting enough power from the battery. She did a chamber test with it and two other comps and she said it was fine.

So, I'm on a weeks vacation diving in Catalina, and two days into it...the same thing happens....check my battery when I'm on the boat deck and the battery is at 5 bars. I called IL back and they said send it in again....so I did. The folks in IL have been great and the guy I spoke with said that they'd probably end up sending me another computer.

I've had this just over a year, with probably about 75 dives on it....before last month, I had no problems with it at all and I've had no problems with my Cobra. Usually my two computers are just about the same as far as depth.

Peace,
Cathie

My Suunto cobra crapped out after only 3 months. It gave me depth readings that were 15 feet less than the true depth. The resulting data would have put me in deco on the 90 foot dive my gf and I were on at the time. LeisurePro replaced it within days of getting my defective one back. I am waiting to see how the new one holds up. At this point I am not at all impressed with this product.

It sounds like there are a fair number of folks who have had to return their computers for service. Manufacturers generally say the warranty is void if the equipment is not purchased from an authorized dealer.

How are those of you who have NOT bought from dealers getting service? Or, are the mfr's just blowing smoke?

My wife has a Favor, and I use a Vyper...have not had any problems--Although we both do notice the temps do read a bit high...

I have 15 dives on my Cobra (new warranty replacement one) so far. All is working except the water temp is reading 3 degrees high. For the money this product costs I expect it to be accurate. Personally, I would not buy this product again.
:shades:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom