Suunto computer reading wrong depth

Have you had a Suunto dive computer indicate the wrong depth?

• I have a Stinger, D3, or Mosquito that has had this problem

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • I have a Stinger, D3, or Mosquito that has NOT had this problem

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • I have a Vytec, Vyper, or Favor that has had this problem

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • I have a Vytec, Vyper, or Favor that has NOT had this problem

Votes: 36 48.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally have a Stinger that has done 50 doves and my wife has teh mosquito and it's been happy doing about 30 dives. No problems with either.

Last year I used a Viper for 50+ dives with no problems.

I purchased a Suunto Cobra in mid July 2003. My first 3 or 4 dives, the depth readings were fine. On my next several dives, the Cobra gave me problems. On one dive, I was at 20 feet, and the Cobra read 3-4 feet; the next dive, the depth was accurate; on the subsequent dive, I was at 25 feet, and the Cobra read 8 feet. I returned the Cobra to the dive shop for repair; however, since I had purchased the Cobra only three weeks prior, the dive shop gave me a new one. As of August 16th, I have done 4 dives with the new Cobra, and thus far, I have not experienced any problems with depth readings.

The local dive shop replaced my original Cobra dive computer after it was giving incorrect depth readings, as noted on my earlier posting to this board. I had done 9 dives with the new replacement computer when I again started to have problems. When I turned the dive computer on to record the information in my dive log from yesterday's dives, the computer immediately entered dive mode. It recorded a 32 minute, 11 foot dive with 0 psi, while sitting in front of my desktop computer. I immediately took it to the dive shop and they are going to send it to Suunto for service. So far, I'm not very impressed with the reliability and accuracy of the Cobra dive computer. Has anyone else experienced similar problems with the Cobra?

Having started diving in 1982 there where no choices. I "got out of diving" for a few years and having started again a year ago I find computers coming the rage. I always thought they where pretty "neat" but am comfortable diving with the tables and my Seiko. I have been pondering the use of a wrist mounted computer especially that my interest in Wreck diving is peaking and I have been diving deeper since my new cert level. How in the name of Davey Jones do they (the manufactures) expect me to pay money for a so/so device! At least with my watch and tables I know I am within any doubt NDL. I will stick with my measely 20 min/100' dive until I am convinced that these confounded contrapations work, all the time every time.. CORRECTLY! I want a "I get to shoot you guarantee." If I get bent I get to shoot the person who made it.

Eric

i never had a problem with my favor...
i thought of buying Mos...
but reading your comments about it, i'm happy with my Favor...

Orlando Eric once bubbled...
I want a "I get to shoot you guarantee." If I get bent I get to shoot the person who made it.

Eric

Not only do you not get to shoot them, but they'll fix it (won't give you a new one), and then you'll have the same problem again TWICE.

I'm still pissed that my Suunto is a 600 dollar paperweight. I won't even sell it, because I don't want to pass the problem on to someone else.

If you're using a bottom timer, that's fine, but I suggest a backup. Bottom timers can also fail.

In the end, none of these devices are immune from potential problems, and we should all dive in such a way that computer/gauge problems don't hurt us.

To me, this means that in any team there should be 3 devices, so that if one acts funny you can tell and you can tell which one it is. In reality, to me, this means having two devices on my wrist.

Also, I make sure that at least one of the two devices has a very good reputation, such as the Uwatec bottom timer.

My Uwatec Smart Pro.
I was doubting between the Vyper and the Smart Pro.
I choosed the Smart over the Vyper, because i just like the features of the Smart.

What i liked about the Smart:

- That it’s a wrist model
- I like the MB levels.
- Wet contacts: I just like this, never can have the problem of leaking o-rings.
- Closed housing: with this you can't change the batt. yourself (this is not a problem for me, because i don't dive that much), so i have never start to worry that it starts to leak.
- Max depth 120m: this is good for when i need the gauge mode at great depth.
- Temp reading: (very pesonal) I know, when you feel cold, you are cold! But when do i get it cold? This depends my on wetsuite, my health, et, etc. And it's never at the same temp for when i get it cold. So when i start to get cold while i am in warmer waters, i know that there something with my health (or suite etc. etc.)
- Big Display
- Acent rate is displayed in % and the accent rate variables, depending on the depth you are diving.
- Automatic altitude adjustment (In Europe there are nice dive places at higher altitude, but i wouldn’t do that to much/never).
- Life time free batt replacing
- 4 Sec. interval with 100 Hours of logging.
- I like the Smarttrak program.
- The infrared connection between my laptop en the smart (nomore hassle with the serial!!)

What i don’t like:

- Max Depth limit alarm adjustment only via smarttrak
- You only can put it into gauge mode with smarttrak
- No possability for simulations with smarttrak.

Should be there something more for what i should know?
(despite the softwre problem)

I did notice a depth problem with my Vytec the other day.... not sure if it's a major problem...

Towards the end of the dive, after our safety stop... we hit a shallow thermocline at about 7 feet... my Vytec started reading shallower depths... then when I hit about 4-5 feet, it read "0" ... this happened 2x that day.

Does water temp affect depth reading accuracy? Cuz I tested my Vytec again in a rinsing basin... and it read a 1 foot depth just fine... used a ruler to check it... and it was on the dot.

I know this thread is about the Dive Computers themselves, and it's 13+ years old, but hopefully I'm not alone with my 2018 "Suunto DM5 reporting wrong depth" problem. My son and I have identical Suunto Cobras, and last week in Cozumel once we uploaded our dives to the PC we notices that on two occasions the second dive of a repetitive dive day were displayed at impossible depths. This happend on two different days on both computers. LOL, it's difficult to go to 182 feet when the sea floor was only 70 feet deep! Again, it did it for both dive computers, so I doubt I have two bad computers, it has to be the DM5 application..

We reviewed the dives on the Cobras themselves, and they both had the depths exactly right. We uploaded the same dives to the Subsurface application and, again, the dives reported properly at ~70 feet.

So this is definitely a DM5 application issue, not the dive computers, so I'm just wondering if I'm the only one seeing this?

Back
Top Bottom