Suunto DM4??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All,

I received some information from Suunto Finland today.

1) Comments about editing taking place only in Movescount.
- It's true that the first release of DM4 does not allow adding notes/deleting logs. All editing currently takes place in Movescount (MC). We’re constantly bringing new improvements to the DM4 and notes is one of the features we’re working on to add (the same applies to deleting dives, gauge view and tissue saturation graphs). It's good to see the user's reactions in order to have a sound basis for prioritizing our feature lists. It is important to emphasize to customers that the DM4 updates automatically to newest version when one comes available and the computer is online. Stay tuned!

2) Suunto is forcing customers to go "cloud".
- Customers will still have a local copy of their dive logs on their laptop. The computer OS provides the application with a location for persistent data. We’ll add the personal persistent data folder path to DM4 “about” box for in the next release.
DM4 is for offering basic log book capabilities and MC adds to the experience the social media level features. We believe that the mainstream of divers will be pleased with the features and functionalities MC offers for diving.

3) Suunto is not supporting Dive Manager anymore.
- To the contrary - DM4 is what we're going forward with, and to demonstrate the "going forward", we're preparing the Mac compatible version release this Fall. DM4 is the "new Dive Manager" and Suunto has every intention to keep evolving it with constant improvements.

We're also encouraging everyone to contact our Helpdesk at Suunto.com for detailed troubleshooting on connectivity issues, drivers etc.

(Tom again) - We thank you for your patience as Suunto moves through this transition. Please feel free to contact the Suunto Helpdesk if you need assistance with your v3.1 if you are not ready to jump on to DM4 yet.

Tom Phillipp
Product Manager
Aqua Lung / Suunto Distributor in the USA

What I think is really strange for Suunto/Aqualung is that this "improvement" is a noticeable backwards step in terms of features and functions from the previous versions of the Dive Manager software. Why would a company release a product with LESS functionality than the current version?

The DM4 in my opinion was not ready for customer release. Its missing too many features. I also disagree with Suunto removing the download software for the older versions of Dive Manager. Ok, you may not want to support it, but leave the downloads available for those who are happy to run them.

"new improvements to the DM4 and notes is one of the features we’re working on to add (the same applies to deleting dives, gauge view and tissue saturation graphs)"
<-- I have this in the old software. Why would I want to "upgrade" and wait for "improvements" that I already have???

I have used Suunto for all my dives, I bought an Eon in 1994, and 2 years ago a Cobra 3. The only reason I went with Suunto was the dive log capability, I no longer keep a paper dive log it's all in software. I was prepared to put up with the outdated black and white display and the outdated design of the Cobra, purely to continue with my dive log. I was looking forward to a Mac compatible DM. This on line community thing was tried before and flopped, now you are trying to force it on customers with this abomination called DM4. Thanks Suunto, I now have no reason to stay with the brand, you have liberated me and I will now look for an LED display computer. I was around when Uwatec was the leading brand in dive computers, and was swamped by Suunto, I'm going to still be around when Suunto is swamped by whatever is coming up now. I can't believe that there is anyone with a clue as to what customers want running your program, heads should roll! It's this out of touch arrogance that will loose you market share, sell shares now! Most companies, even microsoft, (that everyone likes to hate) use beta testers before they release software. I guess I was expecting a version of 3.1 that had the idiosyncrasys and bugs ironed out, increased functionality, not a very basic data transfer program. My logbook is a personal, private diary, not for general consumption.

Well, at least we got their attention. Let's see how fast this gets fixed. I do like the DM4 concept, I just want all my old info presented in the new format. I have to admit, I liked the way the software recognized my Cobra 3 fairly quickly.

JB, well said. I have the original Suunto Cobra. I love the computer and was very happy with the previous Dive Manager software. I will be taking Trimix this summer and was originally looking at the new HelO2. Even against recommendations against it by others that are full tech divers. They were saying I should be looking at Liquivision or Shearwater for a good Trimix computer. I don't know how many discussions I have had trying to defend my position on the HelO2. Well, with the release of this "New" Dive Manager it is apparent that Suunto isn't interested in playing in the big leagues. Guess I will have to eat crow and will be looking at the Shearwater and the Liquivsion as was previously recommended to me.

I downloaded and installed DM4 and was appaulled. Suunto obviously did not do a requirements capture before designing, what is a terrible piece of software. One of the key features they have removed is the ability to have multiple divers. Both my wife and I dive and have been quite happy with DM3.1. We cannot use DM4. The interface looks like it has been designed for a 5 year old child, there is no functionality to export/import or record buddies, weight used etc, it only exports the actual profile - Do Suunto really expect all the annotations for nearly 100 dives to be manually copied over? I posted my concerns on their Facebook page, and my post was deleted - really helpful.

We have two D6 and two Vyper, so the expense of changing supplier is not an option, but I hope someone at Suunto get this, because when it is time to chnge computers, they have definately lost two customers.

The other key feature is the inability to print!

JB, I hadn't even noticed that! Can it get worse?

I hope Suunto can come up with something to fix this. One of the reasons I bought a Suunto was because the software was better than the others I looked at. I will stick with 3.1 until this is sorted out. I did play with the dive planner portion of the DM4 and that seems a little more user friendly than the previous version. However, I don't know a single tech diver that would be caught dead using this program, even if they liked the Helo2.

Hi all,

we at Suunto feel just as passionate about diving as you do. We&#8217;re committed to providing not only the best dive computers but also the best on and offline experiences possible.

The reactions towards the new Suunto DM4 are understandable in the sense that it does not have all the same features as Dive Manager used to have. DM4 is a completely new software, and it's constantly being developed. Features (such as notes, printing and gas blending), which you had in Dive Manager, will be available.

Below I&#8217;d like to clarify a few things that have come up in this thread. If you have more questions, please contact the Suunto Help Desk: Contact Us | Suunto

It is possible to have a private (hidden) account on Movescount if you don&#8217;t want to share your dive logs with anyone else.

You can still continue using Dive Manager 3.1 if you prefer - the only exception are the new Suunto D-series wristops which are only compatible with Suunto DM4. You can contact Suunto Helpdesk to obtain a link to download Dive Manager 3.1. if you don&#8217;t have it already installed.

Yes, the Suunto DM4 with Movescount is currently more suitable for recreational divers than for tech divers. More features that especially tech divers may be missing at the moment will become available in new revisions - we're sorry that you have to wait a bit. We are in fact releasing a new (PC) revision again this week which automatically updates to user&#8217;s computer when the user is online and starts the Suunto DM4 program. The Mac compatibility is also coming up!

Everyone is welcome to join and comment on our Suunto Diving Facebook group, and I assure we don&#8217;t delete any posts :)

Thanks for your feedback, we genuinely appreciate it and it encourages us to work even harder.

Kind regards,
\Pia @ Suunto

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom