Suunto Eon Steel Review (post 30 dives)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@DivingDubai: I don't live in the US either (africa) and regularly import equipment from DGX and will continue to do so. I can highly recommend DGX for all your online scuba shopping needs.

Dive Safe and have fun.

I'll second the recommendation for DGX, I live in Japan and use them a lot. I also recommend Cave Adventurers and DiveRightinScuba. All great people.

I'll +3 DGX... I live in Jordan and they are my goto source for scuba gear. Awesome company.

Here's why the lockout thing is a bad idea.

For ease of illustration, let's use VPM since it's easy to see conservatism. So you normally plan VPM+4 because you're a bit overweight, the water is cold, at the end of a long dive you're a bit dehydrated.

Let's say you're doing a nice smooth deco dive. All of a sudden you have a suit flood and all of a sudden what was a nice warm drysuit is slowly cooling you down. And maybe you get a regulator free-flow on your deco gas. All of a sudden you're in potentially some serious trouble. On a computer like the Petrel, you can switch to say, VPM+1 and it will recalculate. I guarantee that depending on the profile, that change will cause you to blow a deco stop for 3 minutes somewhere.

With a computer that locks out, now you're running gauge mode, on a table that isn't inline with your decompression schedule. Now you either run the risk of either running the entire deco schedule on a lost-gas profile with a flooded drysuit increasing the chance of getting bent. OR, you have a computer that is continuing to calculate proper deco, although at a less conservative level, getting you out of the water faster.

It's definitely a choice, but I don't want a computer that takes that choice away from you. That's what happens when you dive a computer that will lock you out.

We could dream up hypothetical situations all day long, but at the end of the day, it is far safer to have a piece of gear that gives you reliable information so that you can make an informed choice, than a computer that leaves you to your own devices.

Can't you just do that in your head? Or if skipping shallow is your plan then plan for it and put it on a slate.

You have two failures at once here. Are you also planning for both your first stages to die? Didn't you have a buddy with deco gas to steal? You have a lost gas plan?

For the diving i do (eg The Duke off Brighton, OC 55m leaving the bottom at 27, 18/35, 40% and70%) the difference between a VPM+1 and +4 profile is small below 9m (3 minutes).In fact my HelO2 will get me to 9m quicker than either. The real difference is at 6m where you'd spend an extra 5 or so for VPM +4 vs +1 and then another 10 minutes for the RGBM (P-2).

Having planned a few such dives, with both multideco and DM5 I know that I should be able to chop back the shallow suunto minutes and not get too far away from a reasonable profile.

Suunto really have three sorts of stop:

Deep
Ceiling
Safety

The deep stops are essentially optional. Skip past those and you might get a beep. No error modes or lock out.

The ceiling is the serious thing. Go above it and it thinks you will be likely to bend yourself. Do that for 3 minutes and it says all bets are off and it errors and goes into gauge mode. My backup Zoop does this at about 9 to 7m on the profile above when it thinks I did the entire dive on air.

Safety stops are totally optional.

So supposing some disaster that forces you shallow, but not to the surface on a HelO2. Say you decide to go shallow as fast as you dare. What happens? Eventually you reach your ceiling at (using the Duke example) something like 12 to 9m. Now you can choose to follow the computer to 6m or ignore it. Say you ignore it, go directly to 6 and bend it. Now your options are wait out whatever your slate says, or guess. Personally I'd follow the computer as shallow as fast as possible and then do as long as I could take in the cold. The only difference between that and the same with a VPM Petrel is that the Helo2 would be bent at the end.

I think the Suunto computers deserve some criticism but it is almost never what people on SB claim. I find they hate helium, hence my use of P-2 and the DM5 software has been exceptionally poor from time to time. On the other hand with the Petrel you need to spend extra for planning software and hope that it has a similar enough implementation, also I have had as much trouble with the Bluetooth on mine as I have with the poxy usb to serial nastiness for the Suunto.

I will not buy the eon, it is too expensive really. If it would do GF then it could back up my Petrel then maybe but that will never happen. Perhaps the new research on helium may change suunto's algorithm so,I could set it to be more aggressive than the petrel and so a useful backup.

Thank for the recommendation to use DGX for overseas shipping - I'l give them a look for the stuff my LDS doesn't stock

So back from another liveaboard with an update. Not so many dives as expected because I got sick with a fever and the diving in the Philippines in the area I visited (Cebu) wasn't' that great but...

Couple of issues with the Eon (bearing in mind I have one as does my wife - interesting on the trip we had a couple form the US, the guy had borrowed the Shop Eon to get familiar with it - which turned out to be a boon.

One day we found that both Eon's hadn't charged over night - plugging them both back in we got a charging message but the battery indicator stayed white on both (rather than green when charging) both comps both leads. Tried a different charger a different outlet and even a computer - nothing. Borrowed a lead and a charger of the other owner and everything worked fine.

Interestingly the day before I'd tried to down load dives to my comp and the Eon wouldn't be recognised either by Mac Dive or DM5.

I changed the modes (into CCR) which makes the computer reboot then changed back. The Comp went into Error and rebooted losing its date and time setting BUT would then recognise the USB connection to the Mac and charge from the lead it wouldn't charge from before.

Did the same with my wife's and her's started to charge fine too (no error message) No further issues during the trip. I wonder if there had been a power surge on the boat

I didn't perform a restore factory settings as given it wouldn't connect to DM5 I wouldn't' have been able to get the graphic mode back.

Transmitter niggles. Using multiple transmitters the Eon appears to treat them as individuals rather than combining them all. As a for instance if you have two tanks and change between the two it gives you a SAC rate based on that tank usage rather than the whole dive meaning you get weird SAC readings

On one dive I'd surfaced using my side slung tank (need to breath it down to get a rich for the next dive). I turned the gas off at the surface before handing the tank across and the Eon starts alarming at 0 gas even though it knows I'm at the surface for some reason it had been slow to swap into surface mode.

So for me the improvements I still want to see:

Get the transmitters all working as one rather than a number of individual devices. I would like to be able to configure a screen where I can have multiple gas pressures showing

Allow us to choose which alarms we want as audible rather than all on or all off - it would be nice to have a couple of different tones to select as if there are a number of Eon's in the water you are hearing an alarm and looking at yours or I could have one tone for warnings and another for alerts

Allow the water sensor to be turned off (computer switched on by button or pressure) Something causes the comps to stay on at the surface even after being washed unless you gently blow them dry and take the cover off.

Minor niggle. The bungee mount. Could Suunto include 2 cheap torx drivers for those who want to change the strap. I had to take mine to the LDS to change to the bungee as I couldn't buy the required driver OR use a simple hex bolt rather than Torx bolt (these are generally used as anti tamper devices)

Back
Top Bottom