Tagline for Strong Current?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our drag line has saved someone from a hard swim on more than one occasion. Once, we surfaced and discovered that we were quite a ways from the boat and were drifting past it fast. We missed it by quite a bit even though we were paddling as fast as we could. On that day, there was somebody in the boat.

My girlfriend and I blew our whistles and waved the whole time that we were swimming like crazy. My partner and his girlfriend both spotted us early on from the boat and waved back. They were shouting something but it was to far away to understand. We expected them to drop the anchor line with the attached buoy and come get us but they didn't. They just kept shouting and waving. We kept swimming as hard as we could, getting more and more angry.

We finally managed to barely snag the end of the drag line and were able to float on our backs and rest for a few minutes. Then we felt a yank on the line as our "friends" in the boat started pulling us in. My girlfriend and I made our plans to dump their bodies in the swamps and their gear out over the deep mud flats. We had out stories straight as we got close enough to yell at them.

We trained for this! Dump the buoyed anchor line and go get the divers! But no! They left us to swim fast or drift away! Little did they know that they were dragging in a couple of very PO'd divers. They laughed at us! We screamed louder. Then it dawned on us what they were saying.

"You took the boat keys with you". I felt my pocket and sure enough, they were there. Back then, I wore cutoff jeans and a shorty wet suit top for padding and I stuck them in my pocket when we anchored. They had no way to come get us because they couldn't start the boat. (I always took them with me when we left an empty boat) After that, I hid a spare key in the boat and told my partners where it was. That's why I said "don't forget to leave your keys in the boat".

A 200 ft floating line with a dive flag/float on it is cheap and easy. Yellow Polypropylene line from home depot or harbor freight is cheap and will last a FEW years in the sun. The float will be down wind, which may not be exactly down current, but hopefully will be close. You want as long of a target as you can get, if you are diving an unattended boat.

If a boat rus over it and gets it caught in the props, you could probably hear the commotion and come up and get to laugh at their stupidity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom