Taka review (May 08)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damselfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We originally booked the 4 night Coral sea itinerary on the Nimrod Explorer which didn't run. They had engine trouble (supposedly, though I wonder a bit as AFAIK there were no other Explorer refugees on Taka and wonder where they all wound up.) Anyway, after checking with us - the morning before - they rebooked us on the 3 night Cod Hole itinerary on Taka. Not the boat or itinerary we would have chosen, but we were already in Cairns so, oh well.

Crew were all good when doing their jobs, and the whole thing in general ran well. Cruise director was great and you always knew exactly what was going on. I am used to Peter Hughes and Aggressor type boats, with fewer passengers and much more service, and I missed that a lot. On vacation it's nice to have the bed made, dishes cleared for you, and all the little niceties you get on those boats, but it's just not that kind of operation. As far as I know they don't enter your cabin all week. You use your assigned and allocated towels. Clear your dishes, scrape your plate into a bin, put your trash in the trash bin, put the dishes in another bin, sort of like a high school cafeteria.

Everything about the boat looked clean and in good condition as you would expect from a fairly new boat. We had the largest cabin which was pretty large for a liveaboard. All the double cabins looked a pretty decent size too. Not fancy, but very functional. It would have been nice to have a hanging bar for some clothes, there was a cubby that looked like it was intended to have one, but didn't. Plumbing worked very well which is always a treat on a boat. The sink was so tiny you had to turn your head sideways to hit the sink when brushing your teeth and no place to set anything in the bathroom, even your toothpaste. I don't expect a palace of a bathroom on a liveaboard but for the biggest cabin I've had it had the tiniest and least functional sink. Not a big deal, but could have been better designed.

Diving ran well, especially for the number of people. There were a lot of new and inexperienced divers, but the mix was handled well and more experienced divers were not limited by it. Excellent dive briefings. You signed if you were skipping a dive. Everyone else physically signed in when getting back on the boat, literally before you'd gotten your mask off your face. Everyone had numbers, which they asked for in addition to signing in on one dive when a serious current kicked up and they had to pull everyone back to the boat with the inflatable. They would yell into the bathrooms on the dive deck and whatever they needed to to to make sure they had actual verbal communication with every single person. Seeing how unexpectedly conditions changed and how easy it would have been to wind up in New Zealand, it seemed like an appropriate system. The rental gear looked pretty good and I heard no complaints. Nitrox available and tanks always full.

Boat traveled to Cod Hole the first night. The feeding at Cod Hole didn't do much for me. I'm not a big fan of feedings of any sort, but I was there and thought it would be interesting to see since it's so famous a dive. Overrated from what I saw. I think I was disappointed because you hear so much about these huge 600# fish, and the ones there at the time (2) didn't seem all that big, although the interaction between the 2 of them was sort of interesting ti watch. We really enjoyed the other dives up there, around Ribbon Reef #10. We traveled south over the 3 days, and the diving was definitely not as good as we traveled further south. Our dives on the last morning were near one of the platforms the day or one night boats go to. Apparently this was a recent change, this boat became part of whatever company owned that platform and the moorings nearby. I think it's a convenient stopover point on the last day of this itinerary for their travel purposes, but I'm guessing it's not an improvement in diving over whatever they did before. We did see some nice critters on those dives, but the coral was nowhere near as big and pristine as we saw up north, and lots of the area was sand or sediment covered.

Other people (lots of Aussies) seemed fine with the food, or at least everyone always cheers the chef because it's the thing to do. But I wasn't too crazy about it. We got fed, some things were better than others, but mostly mediocre. The hot food seemed to be cold most of the time, fried things were greasy, and sometimes they really needed more of things. All buffet style, served at a counter near a corner which was difficult for people to get around. People ate, then the crew ate, then they called that it was ok to go for seconds. First time on a liveaboard I was ever hungry and dipping into some snacks I had along.

Nothing to drink but water, coffee and tea. No glasses to drink water from, just the stained coffee mugs. Bring a water bottle. No ice. I asked for ice at dinner the first night and the cook told me it was hard to get to at the time (under the back of the buffet counter) and he would get it for me later. He never did and I didn't bother asking again. I didn't want to create a production every time I wanted ice, plus it seemed I couldn't get it during meals anyway. (To be fair, no ice seems to be a common thing in Australia, I love a glass of cold water with lots of ice and learned I had to ask for ice in restaurants.) They charged for various canned beverages in a frig, none of which I was interested in. I would just prefer to have some basic stuff like lemonade and ice tea available, it wouldn't cost them much (especially considering what they charge) but would probably cut into their drink profits.

There weren't really any comfortable public areas to hang out on this boat. There was a large sundeck, which went unused after the safety drill. It had no partial shade cover like most boats, and no lounges so it's not very inviting. There are only some plastic chairs, which were tied down in stacks the whole trip, presumably so they wouldn't go overboard during a crossing. Sensible, but on a more service oriented boat they likely would have put out some chairs during stretches they would have been useful, and put them away when necessary. The lounge/dining room was mostly the dining tables with benches (laid out so you had to crawl over other people to get in and out of some of them.) 2 couches in one corner that guests used. The opposite corner had a couch and a counter with computers, and the crew hung out there. I don't think that corner was off limits to guests, but no one went there because it was made to seem very much like the crews turf where you weren't welcome. Other than the cruise director, the crew tended to avoid mixing with guests when they weren't on duty.

They run this boat on a really tight schedule. You did 2 dives on the last morning, then you had to get your stuff packed and be out of your room by 1pm, while traveling back to port. No time to really get stuff dry. Less of a problem for the majority of people who used the boats gear, a pain if you brought your own. A huge rush, not a relaxing way to end any trip. I understand why they do this, they basically clean cabins and turn the whole boat around while it is still traveling because they board a new group of passengers within a couple hours of getting to the dock. But, from the passengers point of view it sucks big time.

It was better than not diving while I was in Australia, but their prices are very high for what it was (like lots of things in Queensland.)

Hi Damselfish,

I'm new to this posts and not sure how to post them successfully, so here it goes my other attempt...

I read your review and could not believe the similarities with mine, specially your last 4 paragraphs !

DÉJÀ VU !!

(It's like you were there with me and lived the same experience with me. (although that's impossible as we were diving with TAKA at different times).

Anyway, here's my experience with TAKA:

AVOID TAKA at all costs !!!

I still have my feedback form, I regret I didn't handle it at the TAKA office that day...

I've done Taka live-aboard and did regret purely 'cause the staff members !
Too young and foolish or too old, grumpy and bully! - Both with lack of customer service experience, I'll explain...

"Taka's boat lends itself to a VERY rough ride, the boat had a budget feel to it, the constant pitch to buy the DVD (with mostly stock footage) gets annoying, and the food isn't good."

There was a big, big group of Asians who got preferential treatment the whole trip. - From going to dinner earlier, choosing the dive sites and diving first in the morning etc. etc. to trashing completely the coral several times on EVERY single dive (witnessed by many other divers) and when I got their dive guide's attention, she told me "don't worry, it's not your problem, go and dive with your group".

Another occasion I also was forbidden to wash my own gear (I did explain the crew that I have a Mistral twin hose that needs a quick rinse before disconnecting the tank). After my second attempt to rinse my first stage, the girl diver guide told the older staff member to take the hose from me and have hidden the fresh water hose so I could not use it, and unlock it again out of the cupboard when they wanted to wash theirs !

Their approach to customers/divers was also very unprofessional, rude and aggressive in many other occasions, either by a particular (very immature) young New Zealand staff member (who was actually the team leader) or by the oldest Australian staff member who had no manners, was bully and rude...

I have worked with Apple Macs for 15 years, so when I was told by their sales person, at the booking the trip time, time and time again over the few phone conversations (in a very pushy way) the use of the internet and CD/DVD burning etc. aboard, I was thrilled, (that way I didn't have to take my latest and very expensive MacBook Pro aboard TAKA in case it got damaged or something could happen) so when I got aboard TAKA and notice 2-3 (very old) colourful iMacs from circa 2000, I didn't resist to check the specs, out of curiosity... well, no need to say I was yelled and growled at so loud, that I felt like a 5yo after breaking something, which I did not !
TAKA advertised so much the use of internet aboard and then I was screamed at, as "...NO ONE is allowed to touch the computers except the digital photographer!"
- The day before the TAKA trip, I met the young photographer at ScubaPix he had no idea about my camera gear..., and frankly, I didn't think much of his computer skills, but that's another story...

Even at the last day, at the sales approach from the TAKA team leader, who was suppose to try and sell some merchandise on behalf of TAKA, he said: "I don't give a ****** if you don't buy any of these stuff, it doesn't bother me at all..."

...In the end we were told to submit an anonymous feed back, while filling out the forms, we've all noticed a field asking for our contact/info. - Well, that's not anonymous at all !!

Briefly the only nice staff member there, was actually the volunteer in the kitchen, she always smiled to everyone all day/night long ! - the others were either too young and didn't listen to you, or too old and grumpy and boss you round. - AND NEVER A SMILE !!

I (with others) over heard a conversation at the dinning table while watching TV late at night, just the night before we got back. - The staff members were reading out loud the comments/feedback at the table next to ours, and the older member kept saying "who da ****** said this, if I know who did it I'll punch him on the face. - I'm going to find out..."

The next morning everyone who heard about these comments from TAKA staff members, simply didn't handle their feedback form to avoid confrontation, and these last one's were being read in front of every one who just handled them that morning!

Many of us had exactly the same impression about the TAKA crew (I personally read a few other feedback forms that were shown to me and was surprised with the similarities) and some of them did in fact handle the comments regarding the 'young staff' - we still heard at the farewell "what do they know" from the staff, so I didn't handle mine after that last comment.

I still have my feedback form, I regret I didn't handle it at the TAKA office that day, but all the crew went to the office in front of me and it would be too clear.

I've always experience around the world the best camaraderie and friendship amongst fellow divers... so I was very disappointed with TAKA's crew lack of touch and skills.

Ooops...I've also forgot to add following:

It's quite interesting TAKA advertises their state of the art vessel, fully equipped with the latest technology for the use of all divers etc. but then the reality is pretty opposite...

While aboard, TAKA was 'pushing' so much for new courses, I thought I would enrol for Nitrox while aboard. Good idea but not practical as it turned out...
- as I mentioned on the form I've had asthma some 20 years ago, I was asked for a doctor clearance/certificate. I told the team leader I had one but left at home and my wife (not present, diving with us) could fax it to the main TAKA office and the vessel if necessary.
It's like I've asked for the boat to turn around back to Cairns (which, of course I didn't) - they came up with so many excuses about not being possible to receive faxes aboard and not being able to use the telephone while aboard (even when I offered to pay for the whole costs etc.) - in the end the excuses escalated to the fact the Nitrox refills were so, so expensive that it would not be worth the dive trip and they didn't have enough for me and the dive guides.
- I got the message, since they didn't want to do the course after all, I went else where and finished my Nitrox course the same week we got back from TAKA.

Another 2 comments I forgot to mention, was regarding the feeding at Cod Hole, which didn't do much for me and also the Shark Feed.

As I mentioned before the big Asian group who were getting the briefs just before jumping in the water (ahead of us) - they obviously did ignore everything it was said on the briefs and their dive guide did care much about it either. We were told to seat at the bottom in a circle and wait for the cod to be fed, but when we got to the bottom, the Asian group already reached the bottom some 10 mins before, ignored all this and were all trying to touch and feed the cod, all over the diver/crew who was trying to feed the cod. The result was disastrous as the rest of us, (2 separate groups) got to the bottom, the chaos was already taking over - the dive leader feeding the cod, decided the cod feed was cancelled even before it started, so no one had a chance to see much because the cod had run away just before the whole group got to the bottom!

The other feed, the Shark Feed, was pretty much the same! By the time we got to the bottom, the Asian group was already down at the bottom and once again did not listen to the brief, they were kicking and swimming round, scattered trying to touch the sharks!! Once again these caused a chaos and the remain divers did not see anything else but elbows and fins on their faces, the sharks disappeared really quick too, what a mess!

Although it's appalling the behaviour and 'over enthusiasm' of some less experienced divers, in the end, it's up to their dive leader to supervise the behaviour of careless divers, to, avoid e.g. the destruction of the coral reefs as we witnessed several times.

RV

and adding to that list I got bed bugs.....

and during our only minke whale sighting, they lef the whales after us only spending half an hour with them so that we could dive some unspectacular reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom