tank questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting your wife a different tank will probably only change the total amount of weight she's carrying by a few pounds....probably not noticeable enough to make a difference for her carrying all of her gear.

I'm a pretty small girl and carry a pretty heavy rig....I work out regularly (lift weights) so that I can manage this. But that doesn't change the fact that it's almost 70% of my body weight. I take frequent breaks, especially if climbing up stairs is required. I don't care if I can't keep up with my buddies....I only care that I'm able to get my dives, have a good time, and get my gear back to the car somehow.

If you can offer your wife some help (maybe just taking fins so she has both hands available), allow her to take frequent breaks, and just be supportive, it will probably do more for her than buying a new tank. If it's still just miserable on her, you could offer some sherpa services. Unfortunately, I don't think changing tanks is going to help enough. Good luck!

And still do the "smart thing"....carry your bride's gear!

That's what I do for my lovely bride. :blinking: She uses a XS 80 HP Worthington.

I got my wife a XS 65 HP steel for many of the same reasons.

We dive with a friend that uses one of those, she is very small and can handle it with ease. Nice cylinder for tiny humans.:wink:

Some of it is technique as well. Marci wears double 95's and other than needing some assitance getting in and out of the some of the less developed (no steps) sinks, does pretty well with it. That said, when it is reasonable to do so, I'll carry her tanks back post dive.

Getting your wife a different tank will probably only change the total amount of weight she's carrying by a few pounds....probably not noticeable enough to make a difference for her carrying all of her gear.....!

Although I carry my wife's gear for her to a site, she still needs to wear her gear to go into the water. When you are going across rocks and such, walking weight can make a big difference.

As I stated above, the amount of lead my wife needed with a AL80 was reduced by 8 lbs. going to a HP Steel 65. And, her total walking weight was reduced by almost 16 lbs. That's a big diffference!

Just realize that these Faber 72's and some HP Steel 80's are so negatively buoyant that she may not need any added weight if diving in warm water. This could be dangerous should her BC fail.

I use my 72 in cold water here in NE were being over-weighted by a tank is not usually an issue unless wearing a shorty on a hot summer shallow lake dive.

Smaller tanks are a great suggestion; better one is for you to start hauling her gear

Best way to have a spouse stop - or curtail - diving is make it tough for them.

I carry, set up, help her put it on, rinse, et al - she is a superb diver; just want to make it as easy as possible for her.

Smaller tanks are a great suggestion; better one is for you to start hauling her gear

Best way to have a spouse stop - or curtail - diving is make it tough for them.

I carry, set up, help her put it on, rinse, et al - she is a superb diver; just want to make it as easy as possible for her.

This is so very true for many of us. I never put any pressure on my wife when it applies to diving. If she wants to pass on a dive, call a dive short or just go slow and look around, that's what I do. She also like to hold my hand when we dive and I love it.

She is not dependant on me to dive but my real desire is to make diving as much fun as possible for her. She is a very competent diver and a great dive buddy, I just want to keep it that way.:D

I would recomend getting a (High Pressure) HP 80cuft tank for her. It's smaller than an aluminum 80 and you"ll be able to take a few pounds off her weight belt. too

This is so very true for many of us. I never put any pressure on my wife when it applies to diving. If she wants to pass on a dive, call a dive short or just go slow and look around, that's what I do. She also like to hold my hand when we dive and I love it.

She is not dependant on me to dive but my real desire is to make diving as much fun as possible for her. She is a very competent diver and a great dive buddy, I just want to keep it that way.:D
Thanks!
Glad to see its not just me!

Its really the best solution; I'm convinced she is truly the better diver, once she's in the water - I think its the set up, trip out, et al she hates - so I take that nonsense away, which I'm more than happy to do.

Thanks!
Glad to see its not just me!

Its really the best solution; I'm convinced she is truly the better diver, once she's in the water - I think its the set up, trip out, et al she hates - so I take that nonsense away, which I'm more than happy to do.

And we get to clean all the gear as well!:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom