TDI Full cave not always accepted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taliena

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I heard that your TDI full cave pass is not always accepted in Europe? Is this the truth?
And can you dive in Mexico in caves with your TDI full cave?

In some european countries, "american" certs (both rec and cave) are very criticized ("certs have been baught", you make emphasis on trim, advanced kicks and you promotate the use of a manifold instead of a isolated back-mount twins, you are dogmatic ...). Fortunately, many sites have a free (0€ and no cert required) access.
But, you seem to live in a european country, so why do you ask this ?

Can't answer your first question, but I couldn't see why not, a lot of the agencies' standards & training practices are very similar (I know,... not the same,.... else there wouldn't be different agencies). I will be diving in Mexico in Feb. & am not aware of any restrictions. A classmate of mine (we're both certified TDI) from the class we passed, last year went to Mexico & did not report any restrictions. When I went through Full Cave, I started out IANTD & finished out TDI (same instructor) & did not see/ feel anything much different about the training, other than the written test. When it came time to process the card, my instructor asked me which way I wanted to go. Didn't make any difference to me, so he went ahead & certified me through TDI.

Yes, I dive normally in Europe, mostly Germany. Here some rules of a mine in Germany:Grube Christine: Zugelassen sind GUE Cave I Zertifizierungen und Full Cave Zertifizierungen der Verbände GUE, NACD, NSS/CDS, IANTD, PATD, TDI. Grube Brilon: Zugelassen sind Full Cave / Cave II Brevets der Verbände NACD, NSS/CDS, IANTD, GUE.

So as you can read, in Brilon they don't accept TDI (or it must be a mistake, I can ask for it). I'm a beginner (as you know, you learn the basics in such a course, an now you need to dive, dive and dive, so I won't dive here without an experienced diver or a guide, but diving here is not very far away.). Christine is more easy and better to start with. But I wonder if there are more caves where you aren't allowed to dive with a TDI full cave certificate.

In five years of cave diving in MX, the only place where I have even been asked to SHOW a card was at Dos Ojos, so I wouldn't worry about your certification there.

I'm afraid, there are some countries in Europe with cave-diving sites than Germany and UK (Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, France ...).
Remember Kissinger : “Who do I call if I want to speak to Europe?”

I asked the owner of Brilon why a TDI full cave diver only can dive there with a guide and a IANTD/NACD full cave diver can dive a he want, without a guide. OK, Brilon is deeper than 40 m. But should this the reason?

But normally you can dive with a TDI certificate where you want?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom