TDI Full cave not always accepted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My TDI full cave, without further enhancement/instruction, has a limit of 40 meters and no stages. Perhaps that is why it isn't good for a specific cave.

But this has every full cave certificate. IANTD same, but when you are a trimix diver the depth of your trimixcertificate will be the limit of depth.

At the moment I will not dive very deep, I hope to finish a normoxic course at the end of 2012, and then maybe combine cavediving with some decompression diving. But first I want to make some easy cavedives.

No issue in Mexico when you show a TDI card.

Though many dive sites don't ask for the card, most instructors and guides do want to see the cert card before diving with you.

Dennis

In five years of cave diving in MX, the only place where I have even been asked to SHOW a card was at Dos Ojos, so I wouldn't worry about your certification there.

It happened to me there too. I did not have my card with me.

I showed my DAN card with 20 pesos and they let me in. :eyebrow:

I wouldn’t say that TDI cave courses are not being accepted in Europe. OK, let’s say that many American associations are not respected, as Jago wrote why, but let’s admit that no matter on association or standards, the most important is the instructor who made course for you.

If providers of diving in caves don’t know you, or your instructor, you might have problem with TDI certification in Greece. The reason is simple, due to the local law (at this moment I am not sure but I think it is the 3409/2005), as a diver you have to be holder of diving license of recognizes diving association. And to be recognized diving association the local representative of association has to pay to Greek government every year some fee (I think it is around 5000 Eur).
TDI/SDI has no representative in Greece, that’s why it is not recognized in Greece.

In Czech R. it is bit different. All activities in caves are controlled by §10 of Code n. 114/1992 Coll., about the protection of nature. The goal is to protect and preserve caves. So for the caves exploration, there has to be the permission of the authority for nature conservation and landscape protection or from the Ministry of environment.
The basic units of Czech speleological society, who are holders of such kinds of permissions, are responsible for all activities in "their" caves. And they are following the safety standard of Czech speleological society (such as wearing helmets on heads. Just imagine what would DIR divers say about wearing helmets.). So it is on their decision, to let anybody dive in "their" caves. And of course they prefer to reduce any risks by not letting unknown divers (unknown for them) dive there, or by preferring divers, who passed course in similar conditions to Czech caves than divers who passed course in Cennotes.

I wouldn’t say that TDI cave courses are not being accepted in Europe. OK, let’s say that many American associations are not respected, as Jago wrote why

"Some countries", not all. In France and Belgium, american certs are not very popular especially in cave-diving. In many others (Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, Italy, UK ... your cert is recognize by native people.

Last edited:
Greece can be a problem for a padi diver too. Because you must have a certificate with 'EUF' on it. And Padi don't have the 'EUF' on its cards. CMAS cards sometimes have (on my specialty certificates I have 'EUF', on my 3* (DM) I don't have).

Greece can be a problem for a padi diver too. Because you must have a certificate with 'EUF' on it. And Padi don't have the 'EUF' on its cards. CMAS cards sometimes have (on my specialty certificates I have 'EUF', on my 3* (DM) I don't have).

No, PADI is one of the founding members of the EUF (and appears in the members section of the EUF website). Your certs must be older than EUF or issued by a non-certified agency (some CMAS members have refused to be certified).

"In France and Belgium, american certs are not very popular especially..."
In France there is everything non-French not very popular. Isn't it regarding to patriotism? That very often "sans cerveau" patriotism. I know many excellent cave divers, who are diving in caves in France, in Sardinia etc. and none of them had a problem no matter that they are certified in american diving agency.
And Jago, be honest, what else, except of CMAS is accepted in France?

"Greece can be a problem for a padi diver too."
No, you are wrong. Padi is unfortunatelly recognized by Greek law, so there is no problem with padi. And it has nothing to do with EUF

In France there is everything non-French not very popular.Isn't it regarding to patriotism?

It's called chauvinism and is not specific to any country.

I know many excellent cave divers, who are diving in caves in France, in Sardinia etc. and none of them had a problem no matter that they are certified in american diving agency.

Of course, most if not all french cave sites don't require any cert or entrance fee.

And Jago, be honest, what else, except of CMAS is accepted in France?

FSGT, SNMP and ANMP but foreign CMAS 3* (both instructors and divers) are not recognized.

Padi is unfortunatelly recognized by Greek law

Very open minded, you deserves to be french-diver. :D

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom