Tec Side Mount - Need help selecting gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anand417

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Cave Divers,

I am in my slow but steady journey in the world of cave diving. I did my TDI Intro to Cave course last year in Tulum - I was not happy at my body positioning in water especially when task loaded. So I went back to Houston, signed up for the PADI Dive Master course with a local dive shop with the goal of making good buoyancy/trim as second nature - 6 months of diving almost every weekend, I think I have come long ways since Tulum.

However, I think another reason for my poor form during the Intro to Cave course was the rental side mount gear which didn't really suit my tall/slim body type. So I plan to invest in a Tec Side mount rig (BC & Reg kit), adjust to suit my upper body & get a lot of dive experience in the gear. I plan to go to Florida or Tulum next summer to do a bit of cave diving & consider doing the full cave course - knowing I am ready for it.

Sorry for the long background - the short question now is: what is the side mount rig I should invest in? The consensus from what i read online is between Apeks WSX 25, Hollis Katana or X-Deep systems. I seek a good balance between diving shallow in the Cenotes and also be able to use it for tec deep dives (say, the USS Oriskany). Sorry if this question sounds too rhetoric - but i definitely need some help to select. Appreciate your time - thanks so much.

The consensus from what i read online is between Apeks WSX 25, Hollis Katana or X-Deep systems
Think of sidemount systems like buying a car. Road and Track can give great reviews,but when you take it for a test drive it doesn't meet your needs. Often individual reviews of an item that you read on the internet can be biased from the sense that person spent $500+ dollars,that is the only one they have, and no one wants to think such a large $$$ purchase is less than optimal. My suggestion is test several models, and try to test these models in an environment you plan to dive in.

. I seek a good balance between diving shallow in the Cenotes and also be able to use it for tec deep dives (say, the USS Oriskany).

What you seek exists,but since many out of the box sidemount rigs tend to by myopic,it may need tweeks to the system between dive locations. My sidemount system has had modifications but will allow me to trim well in Florida caves,Cenotes of Mexico, and Missouri caves,but I can drop in the ocean.

my suggestion would be to take a long weekend and go to Florida, specifically Cave Adventurers in Marianna and test dive a bunch of rigs and see what you like. You can do it with steels and al80's to replicate mexico and florida and check it out.

Personally the Hollis Katana has been working exceptionally well for me despite my best efforts to try and not like it

I'm a new Cave Diver, but an experienced Surface Support to many Cave Divers. I've seen all types of rigs from Katanas to SMS100s to Halcyon Doubles rigs. It seriously depends on your comfort. I think Tbone1004 has the right idea. Go to Ed's (Cave Adventurers) and ask to check out a few rigs. Try one each day. Do a few dives in each. See what you like.

Remember, however, that no single rig will be 'perfect' for all types of dives. Lots of divers have multiple rigs for the different types of dives.

Diving off a boat in side-mount is difficult, but not impossible. If you prefer your side-mount setup, do it. I know people who love diving side-mount at all times (boat or no boat) because that's what they are comfortable in.

The first decision when choosing a sidemount rig is dictated by the cylinders you'll be using. Steel or Aluminum? Or Both?

Read: The Two Schools of Sidemount Diving Heritage

There's plenty of 'Florida Cave' style rigs - great for steel tanks, but really awkward for diving aluminum primaries. Some can be better adapted than others. Likewise, some of the 'Mexico Cave' style rigs - great for aluminum tanks, don't have the lift capacity necessary for high capacity steels; or if they do have the capacity, suffer from a 'turtle shell' effect... rising high above the divers' back.

Mexico Cave (British style) sidemount rigs are generally based on a minimalist harness run from two plates; at the shoulder and lumbar spine. This makes them very user adjustable for sizing.

Personally, I think the XDeep Stealth Tec checks all the boxes (and more so once the dual bladder version is released). It has ample lift capacity, but restrains itself well. A good weighting system. It's lightweight for travel. It's sturdy. It works excellently with aluminum cylinders...and very workable with steel also (optional butt plate, if desired).

I prefer the XDeep Stealth Tec over the Apeks WSX-25. The Apeks doesn't have the buoyancy/lift of the XDeep, but a larger version (45) is coming. I've not yet had chance to trial a Hollis Katana or the Apeks WSX-45.

Bear in mind that Florida is (surprise, surprise) the home of the 'Florida Cave' style sidemount. What you're gonna see there is American rigs, mostly of the same approach. The Hollis Katana being a new departure into 'Mexico Cave' design heritage.

In contrast... go to Mexico and you'll find (you guessed it...) more Mexican Cave heritage sidemount rigs.... the Razor 2.0, XDeep etc...

As for fear-mongering over 'boat diving' with sidemount.... this must be a very regional issue. Snotty boat captains in Florida maybe.... but a sidemount instructor/mentor who actively/routinely boat dives will show you the proper approaches.

I teach novice open water divers how to sidemount effectively from boats. My last student was a 5.1" tall Filipina... I'm surprised that these rufty-tufty cave diving types find it so very daunting... :wink:

Last edited:
Hello Cave Divers,

I am in my slow but steady journey in the world of cave diving. I did my TDI Intro to Cave course last year in Tulum - I was not happy at my body positioning in water especially when task loaded. So I went back to Houston, signed up for the PADI Dive Master course with a local dive shop with the goal of making good buoyancy/trim as second nature - 6 months of diving almost every weekend, I think I have come long ways since Tulum.

However, I think another reason for my poor form during the Intro to Cave course was the rental side mount gear which didn't really suit my tall/slim body type. So I plan to invest in a Tec Side mount rig (BC & Reg kit), adjust to suit my upper body & get a lot of dive experience in the gear. I plan to go to Florida or Tulum next summer to do a bit of cave diving & consider doing the full cave course - knowing I am ready for it.

Sorry for the long background - the short question now is: what is the side mount rig I should invest in? The consensus from what i read online is between Apeks WSX 25, Hollis Katana or X-Deep systems. I seek a good balance between diving shallow in the Cenotes and also be able to use it for tec deep dives (say, the USS Oriskany). Sorry if this question sounds too rhetoric - but i definitely need some help to select. Appreciate your time - thanks so much.

If it was me I would buy the X Deep Stealth Tec then go to Protec Tulum who invented it (Patrick Widman) and then get shown how to use it. Does 5 metre mexican caves to advanced trimix. Simple.

As for fear-mongering over 'boat diving' with sidemount.... this must be a very regional issue. Snotty boat captains in Florida maybe.... but a sidemount instructor/mentor who actively/routinely boat dives will show you the proper approaches.

I teach novice open water divers how to sidemount effectively from boats. My last student was a 5.1" tall Filipina... I'm surprised that these rufty-tufty cave diving types find it so very daunting... :wink:

A lot of the diving in south Florida is drift diving in strong currents. Negative giant stride entries are a real thing. When they say "dive dive dive" if you're slow getting your butt into the water you just missed the drop site.

I will add Razor dual bladder more minimalist that the stealth tec and plenty of lift

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom