Tec Side Mount - Need help selecting gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you seen the new and improved Z manifold system? The thought that went into it probably kept the engineering department on their toes for an unfathomable amount of time. It makes the original Z manifold pale in comparison.

So they went from aluminum to brass... how did they even find the cutting tools for that?!

In spite of my initial suspicions and best efforts to resist, I have been successfully trolled. Well played, sir.

So they went from aluminum to brass... how did they even find the cutting tools for that?!

In spite of my initial suspicions and best efforts to resist, I have been successfully trolled. Well played, sir.

:)

Through innovation and refinement and after years of being bashed, UTD answers with the industry standard brass valve. BUT WAIT....IF YOU BUY NOW, you get a heavier piece of crap to travel with for the same price, lol.

:)

Through innovation and refinement and after years of being bashed, UTD answers with the industry standard brass valve. BUT WAIT....IF YOU BUY NOW, you get a heavier piece of crap to travel with for the same price, lol.

I can't believe you got me to watch both of those videos. That's like the diving equivalent of rickrolling, twice.

@tbone1004, have you had a chance to put your hands on a new stealth tec? I'm still setting mine up, hopefully diving this weekend, so I can't say a lot. But, I can say that it is so much tougher and better constructed than I expected (I think I must've thought that all these MX-oriented rigs were kind of dainty). It's super low profile, changing little when inflated, but feels super super tough. It sort of puts my old rig to shame. One side effect, however, is it probably isn't quite as packable as I had expected (still better than the my hollis rig though, no doubt). You've seen everything, so I'd really like to hear your thoughts on it if you get to play with one sometime. I won't be in FL for a while but I'll check in with you when I do so you can check it out if you haven't seen one up close and personal.

Attachments

• IMG_0544.JPG
    IMG_0544.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
I haven't seen everything, most things, but not everything....

definitely check in with me next time you're down. I haven't been able to play with the new one yet. It is very intriguing to me, but unfortunately their history with distribution in the US has put me off of the brand. Was never a quality concern, strictly a service one. Combine that with the lack of traditional dump locations and I'd be very concerned about using top mounted stages with one.

i was concerned about the dump valve too. I finally decided to go for it after I was on my last trip, working along the bottom and changing depths as I followed the topography. I had to tilt way up to dump. Granted, part of my problem was that the SMS75 doesn't dump gas well without steel tanks pulling down on the rails, so, using al80s clipped to my belt, I had to sometimes reach back and squeeze the bladder by hand to get the gas upwards toward my head. That's a long way for gas to travel, a big bubble free to move from my hips to my shoulders. So arrises another issue, trim is less stable with the long-back wings. but I digress. I spoke to patrick about the dump valve placement, and he said it was conceived with the frailty of industry dump valves in mind. If the dump fails somehow, if it's at the bottom, you can tilt up a little to trap gas and head on out. If it is at the shoulder, well, you get all those stories on CDF about trying to use an SMB, their drysuit, climbing walls underwater, and calling for double bladders. SO, I finally decided that with the success of the stealth, I can learn to use the butt dump if all those other people can. I'll let you know how long it takes me to get used to it.

With al 80's for your main tanks I really don't see the need to backmount stages. Now with large steel tanks I do find it better to backmount stages especially when scootering.

I'm not convinced that one cannot top mount al80 stages (with steel main tanks) with the stealth's dump valve, skeptical, not convinced. That's on my list of things to play with using my new stealth. Anyway, yes, I'll be bottom-mounting if that is problematic.

Eric, I see your point there, though I think the stealth is a bit excessive for AL80 diving. I see Patricks point about the dump, but not sure why it had to go on the bottom instead of on the top? Not sure why coming out head up is better than slightly head down, especially where the top mounted dumps can be put on the bottom of the wing, but that's their choice.

That also said, I would have just engineered a better dump valve, but that's why all of my non DSS wings have been swapped with their valves.

I'm not a fan of the SMS75/100 design and while not particularly vocal against it because it works, it is no secret they aren't my favorite rigs on the market, so I hear you with dumping issues on them and if you're going to al80 diving almost exclusively you should get a rig designed for that type of diving.

Zach, I think you will be much the Stealth over your SMS. Traveling and diving al 80's like you generally do traveling it will work a lot better. I bought a Razor and for traveling the Mexico rigs are so much better. I think you will be fine with the butt dump. I have heard of some shorter people in drysuits having a hard time reaching it. Let me know how you like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom