Tec, Where to begin??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have an exhaustive list, but I know GUE doesn't allow that (having been through 5 courses and sat in on 3 more). I doubt UDT does either, but I can't be for sure.

So: 2 agencies out of.....?

And that makes PADI crap, specifically how?

But yes, their manual does have crap photos... but then, some agencies manuals don't have any photos (is that better? maybe, yes) and others are shoddy ring-bound photocopies...

I put it down to PADI not being a tech-only agency. They are also large. So they employ non-tech divers (but publishing professionals) to put together materials. In doing so, the publishers make some mistakes... stuff that's "O.M.G. AWFUL" in the tech community, but probably goes right over their heads..

In contrast, some agencies put manuals together by putting a few tech guys onto MS Word and running down to the local Xerox shop... Less embarrassing gaffs, but less quality production. That is all..

The quality of photos/manuals doesn't make or break the effectiveness of any single given course though...

It's crap because they don't hold themselves or their staff or instructors to high standards. The only thing you've got so far is 'I teach a better class than I have to', but the minimum is so pitifully low that it doesn't say much to claim you surpass them.

Well, every instructor, in every agency, is free to surpass standards. The level to which they surpass them is entirely personal. What it boils down to is the quality of the instructor - that's applicable across all agency divides. An instructor is either good, or not... can teach effective technical divers... or not.

A serious technical instructor presents themselves on the market by way of their individual reputation in the community...and word-of-mouth reputation by their ex-students (who are, themselves, a walking advertisement). That's agency-irrelevant.

As others have mentioned, there's many instructors in other agencies who also teach for PADI. That includes GUE, IANTD, TDI etc etc etc instructors... Does that make them all crap? Does it make their TecRec courses crap? Seriously?!?

I don't work for PADI. They just permit me to teach their syllabus and issue cards proving that training. They enable me to teach very effective technical courses. I'm pretty forthright in my opinions on PADI... if I felt they limited me in technical training, then I'd be the first to whinge about it (as I do with their recreational courses). But they don't limit, so I don't whinge...and I feel it's narrow-minded.... or simple snobbishness... to disregard an entire agency for such presumptions.

The trouble with PADI is simply that their entry-standards for instructors are low. That means you stand a chance of getting a bum instructor. That chance varies with agencies...and is determined by their instructor training, standards and prerequisities for instructor certification. ALL OF THAT is irrelevant if the potential student researches a technical diving instructor by individual reputation. That's all I am saying.

And how do we know you're not a bum instructor? I would expect your students to say you're great, and I equally expect YOU to say you're great. See the issue?

I don't understand why you're defending their crap standards other than you just like to argue with aj

Sorry, but IANTD holds the title for crap manuals!!

And how do we know you're not a bum instructor? I would expect your students to say you're great, and I equally expect YOU to say you're great. See the issue?
Everyone I've talked to about cave/tech training had a great, if not the best instructor out there. I don't think bad instructors teach classes.

/sarcasm

Both AJ and DD have valid points concerning the PADI Tec program -- at least from my perspective as a "Certified" PADI Tec Instructor.

That written, I will say that I'm not in favor of any agency, whatever the number of letters, that doesn't encourage the use of He as soon as possible. I know people say they aren't "too narced" at 40, 45 or 50 meters but IF they are honest, they'll also admit they are much clearer headed on trimixes than on "deep air."

I'll keep my NAUI card and training that introduced 25-25 as a recreational diving gas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom