Tec, Where to begin??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to start off with deep tec diving.

Why do you want to dive deep Zackery? There are good reason, and not so good reasons for wanting to do that. What are yours?
And what do you mean by "deep" 150 feet is way different to 500 feet !

Tech diving varies between expensive and crazy expensive. I started a thread ages ago asking how much it would cost to get to the stage where you could competently do 300' dives. Consensus came out at around $20,000.
EDIT: Found It http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/te...lties/133966-300-foot-dive-how-expensive.html

PADI has 1000's of instructors. I guess one or 2 of them must be O.K. :D
More seriously I would pick an instructor who is a serious diver first and an instructor second. My Advanced Nitrox instructor had done 400 foot dives, cave instructor has been cave diving for something like 35 years, and has personal experience of how dangerous this pastime can be.
By comparison my Trimix instructor taught for the money. I basically bought a card rather than training. (I knew that going in and was fine with it)

I have no idea how anyone can simply dismiss all the instructors in a world-wide program.

Because PADI's requirement for a snorkel did not mesh well with with my Hogarthian configuration.

It's not only about the instructor, it's also about the agency. I repeat: It's a bad idea to be looking at PADI for any kind of techical instruction.

PADI doesn't recommend a snorkel for technical level programs... or sidemount etc.

What sort of dream-land are you existing in?

It's easy to dismiss something if you know squat-all about it...and just make stuff up to fit your absurd preconceptions. :shakehead:

PADI doesn't recommend a snorkel for technical level programs... or sidemount etc.

What sort of dream-land are you existing in?

It's easy to dismiss something if you know squat-all about it...and just make stuff up to fit your absurd preconceptions. :shakehead:

The only person making up stuff is you.

I stayed with PADI all the way through Master Diver and Intro to Tech, through multiple instructors and dive shops along the east coast of the USA, Florida Keys and Caribbean. I disagreed strongly with PADI's idiotic requirement that I always wear a snorkel, so I haven't taken a PADI course in many years.

DSAT TecRec Courses
Tec Deep Instructor

Min of 100 logged dives to to sign up to learn the 'Tec Deep instructor' program. Top notch.

Yes, to enroll. Along with OWSI + Nitrox and Deep instructor ratings. To qualify:

• Must be MSDT or higher.
  • Have a minimum of 270 dives logged, with at least 25 stage decompression dives that had a maximum depth deeper than 40 metres/130 feet.
  • Have certified a total of ten or more PADI Deep Divers and/or PADI Enriched Air Divers.
That's quite comparable to other tech agencies.. i.e.:

TDI:
Advanced Nitrox Instructor: Nitrox instructor + Provide proof of 100 total logged dives, 25 must be nitrox dives.
Decompression Procedures Instructor: Advanced nitrox instructor + 150 logged dives total.
Extended Range Instructor: Extended range diver certification, advanced nitrox instructor and decompression procedure instructor and 250 logged dives, of which 25 must be extended range dives

I see little difference... 100 to start (Tec40/AN). 250+ to finish..

What's your petty point?

I stayed with PADI all the way through... Intro to Tech,

Oooh... "expert" :shakehead:

The only person making up stuff is you.

From the horse's mouth, the PADI TecRec Instructor Manual:

"Usually you omit the snorkel. They are appropriate standard equipment for recreational diving, but not for tec diving. In tec diving condictions, a snorkel tends to create drag and be an entanglement hazard.

a. In rare instances with long swims at the surface in conditions calling for a snorkel (before or after a dive), you may choose a snorkel you can detach and stow for the dive."

Again, it's foolish to make absurd assumptions based on something you clearly have no idea about. :idk:

---------- Post added August 12th, 2013 at 11:34 AM ----------

Link to what?

The standards came from the relevant PADI and TDI technical instructor manuals.

Can you show me? Yanno...a link that shows me where it says that. Pretty reasonable request, I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom