Tech diving, equipment, awareness and too much too soon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

New diver here and reading this confirms I am on the right path. I am assembling my own scuba gear. I went with plate and wing. It's been a long road. I have done a lot of listening to experienced divers. This winter I have gotten to know my gear. Since I will doing a good amount of quarry diving in low viz I have gone as far as kitting up and practicing in a pitch black room. Try getting out of Bcd, locate spg,etc with thick gloves on in the dark. Gives you an appreciation of how hard it is. One of the local Lds owners is an accomplished technical diver and told me that you should know where and how to reach every piece of gear by memory... Cannot agree more with this post and us new divers appreciate reading this type of feedback as it makes us safer.

great article ! What things can we practice during the safety stop?

Anything that requires neutral buoyancy... Which is everything (other than ascent/descent)

Mask clearing/replace, finning (back kicks), helicopter turns, reg donation ... The list goes on.

Basically any skill you had to perform during your training dives, you can do during your SS (well, I wouldn't suggest a CESA or diver tow).

BRad

Nice and to the point post! Similar to flying, were never complacent or if you are, your not around too much longer. I like to train as much as possible, but I'm really just a recreational diver. One who likes warm water and 100 ft visibility:)...I am taking advanced classes now so I can become a better diver but to also have more skills to practice! Just completed my First Responder and Rescue Diver class....AOW is in a few month but the RD class gave me plenty to practice and share with the wife to keep me busy for years.

Just cause I have in excess of 300 dives doesn't make me an expert....I find it makes me humble and somewhat lucky:)

As in flying, its all about recurrence!

Dive safely!

New diver here and reading this confirms I am on the right path. I am assembling my own scuba gear. I went with plate and wing. It's been a long road. I have done a lot of listening to experienced divers. This winter I have gotten to know my gear. Since I will doing a good amount of quarry diving in low viz I have gone as far as kitting up and practicing in a pitch black room. Try getting out of Bcd, locate spg,etc with thick gloves on in the dark. Gives you an appreciation of how hard it is. One of the local Lds owners is an accomplished technical diver and told me that you should know where and how to reach every piece of gear by memory... Cannot agree more with this post and us new divers appreciate reading this type of feedback as it makes us safer.

Hello Landlocked123,

I am a newly minted Tec 40 diver. I agree with your tactic of learning your rig using tactile means.

During my Tec 40 training, we dived a reservoir for one dive as Monterey was blown-out with 40 kt. winds and 10+ foot seas combined with 10+ foot swells from a different direction.

The water temp at Folsom Reservoir was 48 degrees with about 4 feet of visibility. Our run time was 53 minutes--I was very cold in my wetsuit! Also, the new gear made using old techniques, including visual stimulus, useless. I customized my rig so that I could distinguish different pockets and gear by feel and location. Of course, I used a Hogarthian set-up for major components (required--and now I like the set-up--I aint changing back to standard rec set-up)).

I bought a Magni-view lens for my mask so that I could see up close--something I did not need before.

The next weekend we were able to dive Monterey, but the conditions were at minimums. The storm door was open and El Nino was pumping low pressure systems in one after another.

My point is this, without dry-running the different skills required to pass the course, I would have struggled!

Good Luck!

Hey Flyboy08,

You wrote: "Just cause I have in excess of 300 dives doesn't make me an expert....I find it makes me humble and somewhat lucky:)"

Yeah, I agree. I am approaching 200 dives, and am not an expert. However, I am not a newb and should not be treated as one (that last sentence was not directed towards you or anything you wrote)!

For a really comprehensive course, try Tec 40. It is really good. I am not going to become a full-blown techy, but it was a very worthwhile class. Be prepared to read, study, and write--this is not your ordinary recreational dive course.

thanks,
markm

Why were you in 48 degree water in a wet suit? It doesn't appear to be an auspicious beginning to your tech training. The exposures are only going to get longer and being that cold isn't helping you to off-gas very efficiently.

Why were you in 48 degree water in a wet suit? It doesn't appear to be an auspicious beginning to your tech training. The exposures are only going to get longer and being that cold isn't helping you to off-gas very efficiently.

Hi Ron,

You have a very good question. I will be iterating and expanding on points that I wrote about above (I don't know if you read the last paragraph from my previous post).

I do have a very good custom wetsuit combo that is designed for west coast diving.
  1. I am not going to be a full-blown techy. I did the course to extend my recreational diving capabilities by a small margin. I do not have a twin set and wings. We used the alternate PADI equipment standard for a recreational diver.
  2. I may have been cold, but I was not dangerously cold. Uncomfortable, yes. In trouble, no.
As I have stated before, I do not have the brains or experience level to be a full-blown techy. I would be the person with a green regulator in his mouth at 70 fsw. People need to know their limitations and adjust their actions to match their psychological make-up.

I got the Tec 40 cert for three other reasons and they are:
  • The instructor is awesome. Rick at Dolphin in Sacramento is the real deal.
  • I love reading and learning about different facets of diving.
  • The course work is comprehensive. Everything I have learned so far about the techy community has been pieces of uncoordinated information. I now have a basic techy education that is linear and abstract.
markm

@GDI I went to the NACDs website to learn more about cavern/cave diving and half the site is unpopulated. I was told by someone claiming to be a NACD instructor (couldn't verify through the website) that the card printing machine was stolen by two different training directors and no cards would be printed in the foreseeable future.

Can you recommend an agency not surrounded by drama, corruption, and mutiny for quality cave training?

Back
Top Bottom