Temporary PADI C-card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The dive shoup should be able to look it up no problemo, but it wouldn't be my go to plan.

I would insist on the temp card, can't imagine any (good) reason why they shouldn't give you one. I would also get in touch with the instructor and get your training dives signed off as some backup proof should you ever need it.

It's true any PADI shop should be able to look you up if you're in the system. But I think of that more as a backup for a lost/forgotten card, not a reason to punt on a physical card.

I agree! They should have given you something temporary?!?! Every time I took a class from basic OW to Wreck, I was handed something temporary after I finished. (The wreck course I took was the first that I received something printed off, every other class I received a hand written card)

You may want to double check with the shop/instructor before you leave!

Were you guys at Bainbridge last weekend? There were a LOT of classes there when I was out on Sunday??

This is from my Instructor's Manual (disclaimer: the one on this computer is not 100% up-to-date)

"Within seven days of a student finishing all course requirements:
1. Submit a PIC (envelope or online), or the appropraite application to your PADI office.
2. Issue either a temporary or permanent certification card to the student."

Based on this, if you don't get the temporary card or permanent card within seven days, the shop/instructor is violation of the standards.

I have never heard of anyone getting the permanent card in seven days.

Hi! I'd be grateful if anyone has a thought:

We finished a PADI Open Water class last weekend in a PA quarry and are off to HI next week to dive. I was told by the shop owner that every dive shop in HI will be able to look up our padi certifications so it won't be a problem that we don't have cards and we won't need (and can't be provided with) temporary certification cards. Before we decided to get certified through this shop we asked both the owner and instructor about temp cards and they said they provide them. Now, it appears, they don't? Something must have changed. I was asked to call back tomorrow (again) when the instructor will be in and talk to him. We weren't asked to bring logbooks to the last dive, so they weren't signed by the instructor.

Are there such things as PADI temporary certification cards? Is it true that all dive shops in Hawaii will be able to look up our certifications online and that physical c-cards aren't necessary? This is confusing.

Thanks for insights!

The part about them not being able to issue you a temp card has me wondering if the Instructor who certified you was actually a member of PADI. :devious:

Also, the Instructor MUST sign off on those dives in your log book, otherwise they "didn't happen" and you aren't certified.

Call PADI if the Instructor does not give you satisfaction.

Thanks so much everyone! Scubaboard is terrific! After a couple calls, I just got an email from the one very talented and sincere instructor at that shop. She sent me pdf files of our temporary c-cards and told me the signed logbook is in the mail, so it should easily arrive before we leave.

I guess I could vent a bit, but why... There are a few dive shops in our area.

Now, to search scubaboard to find out where to dive on the Big Island and Oahu and with whom! Thanks, again!

Enjoy Hawaii! Glad you were able to get your card issue resolved. One less thing to worry about. My son and I were certified last weekend, and we received or temp cards from our shop the next day. Maybe your shop staff were just lazy?

Enjoy!!!!!

We filled out logbooks during the surface interval after every ow dive. We also recieved our temporary card at the end of the 4th dive after we finished filling out and signing the last of the paperwork. My instuctor explained to us that it was part of the standards and procedures to have the logbook filled out and signed.

We filled out logbooks during the surface interval after every ow dive. We also recieved our temporary card at the end of the 4th dive after we finished filling out and signing the last of the paperwork. My instuctor explained to us that it was part of the standards and procedures to have the logbook filled out and signed.

This is true.

Back
Top Bottom