Thailand in August - Andaman or Gulf? (or: Is Koh Tao really that bad?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LK,

August is very busy on and around the Gulf islands, KT, Phangan and Samui are buzzing, in contrast to the Andaman side, it's high season over here!

I was refering to Thai tourism in general, and official figures show that through the summer months it is in fact 'low season'. If KT is still as busy in August as it is in December to February for example, then as far as I am concerned that is as good a reason as any to not go there. So my split decision can now be changed to a clear recomendation for diving the Andaman sea even in August.
Thanks for clearing up that dilemma.
Also my forthcoming dive trip with two friends which is currently being planned for my return to Thailand later this month, as I have not been to KT for several years that was going to be my suggestion but I have now swayed towards Koh Lanta.
Again thanks for the usefull advice.

Hmm. I always thought "Thaiand's troubled South" referred to some cultural/religious conflict. Who knew it was East Coast vs. West Coast, Andaman vs. Gulf?

I have been diving Thailand for 10 years. It is true the Andaman side has better diving but KT gets a bad rap (mostly from people on the west coast). The similans is the best diving in the andaman and they are closed in August. KT will be a safer choice in August. As far as the Island is concerned it is big enough to find whatever you want, party time or seclusion or something in between.

I've only been here one night so far but I'm pleasantly surprised at how quiet it is. My roadside room (tiny ocean view) at the Save Bungalow was very tranquil last night. No blaring music. No roaring motorcycles. Granted, this part of the island is an overdeveloped mess. But, on the bright side, there are plenty of dining and drinking opportunities.

I've only been here one night so far but I'm pleasantly surprised at how quiet it is. My roadside room (tiny ocean view) at the Save Bungalow was very tranquil last night. No blaring music. No roaring motorcycles. Granted, this part of the island is an overdeveloped mess. But, on the bright side, there are plenty of dining and drinking opportunities.

Just wait until your neighbors discover that you can buy all sorts of fireworks on the island. I had 7 blissfully quiet nights of sleep and 1 night being jarred awake by explosions at 1am.

Koh Tao is excellent. Diving is very decent and extremely cheap, though not quite world class. Topside it's as good as it gets. I've spent 5 weeks there until now and will definitely go back for more.

I have been to KT 4 times always around August and its been pretty busy. Chumphon Pinnacle is the best dive IMO. The Island has a little bit of everything, Sairee Beach and Mae Haad are often very busy but if you go to the south of the Isalnd, Chalok Baan Kao, its much quieter. In the main the diving is pretty easy so for a new diver I thinks its an ideal place to gain some more experience. I have also dived in the Andamans, with a couple or live-abaords to the Similans, some diving around Koh Lanta, Phi Phi and Phuket, this was in March so was pretty busy. Overall I enjoyed the diving more in the West, but still enjoyed my time on KT. As others have said the Similans are currently closed and will be until Oct/Nov. Im sure you will enjoy KT. Good Luck.

It's too late for this to contribute to your question RM, hope you had a great time......

For anyone else just read the post from Quero he/she is spot on. For me personally, I went to Kho Tao one time with a group of friends, we did two dives and left. It tends to be very crowded with new divers in training and the diving is marginal at best.

Back
Top Bottom