The $1200 Sidemount Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow nice wing. I might actually replace my MSR bladder right now. It works but my lips get pretty cold and don't seal well.

I believe you are correct Andy my PayPal went to an Oxycheq account. I recently purchased the DECO wing and harness for my wife after seeing some ladies diving them in cenotes in Playa del Carmen. We are still working on getting it adjusted as close to perfect as possible, but she dives it right now as is and loves it.

Oh Man what a world to able live in where $1200 dollars is considered economical! Whenever I start feeling down about getting to the end of my diving adventures, I look at the cost of just starting out these days. I'm glad I started in 1968 diving would be just a dream for me today.

Last edited:
Oh Man what a world to able live in where $1200 dollars is considered economical! Whenever I start feeling down about getting to the end of my diving adventures, I look at the cost of just starting out these days. I'm glad I started in 1968 diving would be just a dream for me today.
Diving is less expensive now than when I started in 81. My OW class was $385, the reg I lusted for was a Mares NAVY that was $500, a BCD was $400.... all in 1981 dollars. Adjust for inflation and it is obvious that diving is a super bargain now.

Diving is less expensive now than when I started in 81. My OW class was $385, the reg I lusted for was a Mares NAVY that was $500, a BCD was $400.... all in 1981 dollars. Adjust for inflation and it is obvious that diving is a super bargain now.

All that is true, however in 1968 I was 14 and didn't have a mortgage, an oil tank to fill, property, state, federal taxes, home owners, car insurance to pay, 2 kids to put thru collage, buy my own clothes and theirs, put food on the table.

My class was $150.00 for 12 weeks and 3 OW dives. My top of line Scubapro MK 5 regulator was $150.00, the steel 72 and bacpac was $100.00, the UTD vest was $25.00. My parents helped me pay for it. The wet suit, mask, fins, snorkel, weight belt I bought on my own cutting lawns and working in my fathers gas station. The reg I still use to this day. Five years ago the 72 finally failed hydro. I paid $175.00 for 2 used steel 94cuft tanks to replace it.

$1200.00 is way beyond what I consider economical or affordable. I guess as divers go I'm in a minority.

You guys know that copper wire was invented by two divers fighting over a penny, right?

Just curious, everyone I know that dives side mount near me in Great Lakes area all dive rigs using steel tanks and usually in a dry suit. However, would a rig like this work well in say a 7mm suit with aluminum 80s? I am wondering because it seems like it would be much lighter and easier to use from a boat and would still travel well if needed.

Back
Top Bottom