The $1200 Sidemount Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm just trialling some set-up options with one at the moment. Once it's optimum, I'll put my configuration on the blog.

I will be interested in the blog and set-up for sure.

Hopefully I'll get time this week to take down as single bladder, then add a 2nd in dual bladder config.
If it works out, I'll be doing some extended range tech diving on it early next week.

everyone I know that dives side mount near me in Great Lakes area all dive rigs using steel tanks and usually in a dry suit.

Yes, because a dry suit requires "a million kilograms" of lead, and putting that on a belt is really not fun. Hence, steel cylinders are really popular in cold water side mount diving. Of course, if you encounter really narrow restrictions where you need to remove cylinders, then you must carry all the lead on the belt (=not fun).

would a rig like this work well in say a 7mm suit with aluminum 80s?

If the wing (10kg of lift) can bring you back to the surface, then it works. This means that you must use less than 10kg of lead+steel (measured in water). I do not know Al80s but I believe they are pretty neutral(?). How much lead do you need?

Just curious, everyone I know that dives side mount near me in Great Lakes area all dive rigs using steel tanks and usually in a dry suit. However, would a rig like this work well in say a 7mm suit with aluminum 80s? I am wondering because it seems like it would be much lighter and easier to use from a boat and would still travel well if needed.

It's an individual calculation.

You need to weight to compensate for suit buoyancy at the surface/shallows. At depth, your suit compresses, losing buoyancy, so your wing needs to take the strain and float that weight.

The more buoyancy from a wetsuit, the greater the weight required. That buoyancy is determined by wetsuit thickness (3mm - 5mm - 7mm) and size (sml - med - lge - xl - xxl).... and to a lesser degree, the type of neoprene material used in manufacture.... and the age/wear on the wetsuit (most lose significant buoyancy as they age...the neoprene remains compressed after ascent).

The Deco Sidemount provides 10L (10.3kg in salt-water) of buoyancy. If your wetsuit lost more than that much lift on descent, you wouldn't be able to achieve neutral buoyancy.

AL80 cylinders swing from approx 2lbs negative to 2.5lbs positive (3000psi to 500psi). Even x2... that's not a huge shift. However, your weighting still needs to compensate for ~5lbs of positive cylinder buoyancy at the end of the dive. Add that weight to your calculation also.

I don't doubt that some individuals can use a 10L wing with 2xAL80 in a 7mm wetsuit... but it depends on a few specific factors. Some divers wouldn't be able to make it work..... larger divers (larger wetsuits) and those who haven't finely-tuned their correct weighting.

Here are a few photos of my wife/buddy in her new DECO harness and wing. The upper plate was moved down after these photos and more adjustments as well. We dove right after the pictures she had perfect buoyancy with 2 lbs, trim not so good letting her hips and legs fall, and her frog kick (well it needs a lot of work).

DECO SM small 5.jpg DECO SM2small.jpg DECO SM3small.jpg DECO SM4small.jpg DECO SM1small.jpg

Don't tell her I posted these she will kill me. Anyway we are still making adjustments looks like her tank is not forward enough on the left for sure.. Guess I will drop that clamp another inch. By the way the AL80 were at about 2000# and she ended with 1400# in both after an hour.

Here are a few photos of my wife/buddy in her new DECO harness and wing. The upper plate was moved down after these photos and more adjustments as well. We dove right after the pictures she had perfect buoyancy with 2 lbs, trim not so good letting her hips and legs fall, and her frog kick (well it needs a lot of work).

View attachment 382718 View attachment 382712 View attachment 382713 View attachment 382714 View attachment 382715

Don't tell her I posted these she will kill me. Anyway we are still making adjustments looks like her tank is not forward enough on the left for sure.. Guess I will drop that clamp another inch. By the way the AL80 were at about 2000# and she ended with 1400# in both after an hour.

add some front drings or sliding drings for when the al80s get butt light

@runsongas I totally agree and we are adding front set d-rings before next dive. We had to get that buckle closer to center of the belt first so there would be room for the front d-rings (her waist is so small). We tried sliding d-rings in PDC but not real crazy about them. May try the Sump version later, but for now adding front d-rings.

I wouldn't blame her for her trim, there shouldn't be any effort involved. Like the other person said, some lower d-rings would do wonders. Or, your cam band may need to be rotated so that the counter-twist from the bungee brings the butts of the tanks down. Great that she's trying...I may or may not ever see my wife try again after an equipment malfunction with a much more expensive sidemount wing. Also, if you have the option, I find some people get the frog kick better with a more rigid fin, at least at first.

Back
Top Bottom