The Australian Grey Nurse Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donsilcock

Contributor
Reaction score
I have just completed a complete update of the Australian Grey Nurse Shark section on my site.

The Grey Nurse is a large and iconic Australian animal that suffered so badly during the 1960's from the perception it was a man-eater that on the east coast it was persecuted to the point where its very existence was in question. In 1984 it became the first shark in the world to be protected, but its slow and limited reproduction cycle has not allowed the east coast population to restore itself and it remains endangered.

There is a great Grey Nurse site in Sydney called Magic Point which is where I have personally had most of my interaction with this most interesting creature.

If you are interested in learning more about the Australian Grey Nurse Shark or just want to see more of what it looks like check out the links in this post or start here and follow the links at the bottom of each page.

Don

Aus_09_Aug_MP_1056-Edit_crop.jpg

Don

I am not sure if you know that ReefCheck Australia track Gray Nurse sharks and accept Survey responses and photos from 'community scientists'. Home page If you become a member then you will see the Gray Nurse pages.

https://www.facebook.com/GreyNurseSharkWatch/

For anyone if you are taking photos of Gray Nurse at you 'local' dive site (in Australia) then have a look at the survey procedure and log the details and upload some photos...

Here are a few GNS at Flat Rock earlier this year

pic.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom