The best and worse times to dive Australia??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cougar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are looking at a possible trip to Figi and Oz perhaps in January, February or early March. I recall reading somewhere that jellyfish are a problem at the Great Barrier Reef in April. What are the best times for diving that part of the world...and what are the times I should absolutely avoid??

Also, a friend recommended doing a few days livaboard on The Nimrod Explorer...however..I am traveling with my non-diver husband. I am a very competent diver and would like to see some very cool stuff. Please share your experience and knowledge. Thanks in advance

Hi Lynn,

I suspect that you're actually looking into a trip to "Fiji" and Oz ; )

Of course NE Oz (where the GBR is located) has 4 seasons, but to make it simple the "wet" runs about Dec-Mar with temps in the mid to upper 80s, massive amounts of rain and high humidity. Water temps in Dec-Feb can reach the mid-80s.

The "dry" runs about May-Oct with temps in the upper 70s, clearer skies and much, much less rain. Water temps in Jun-Aug can fall to the mid-70s.

Jan-Apr is tropical cyclone season.

As for the stinging jellyfish (box jellies), they almost exclusively are coastal dwellers and only very rarely seen on the reef. Season is Nov-Apr. Most beaches post warning signs and place swimming enclosures when the stingers are about in numbers.

Helpful?

Happy holidays.

DocVikingo

and remember, if the jellies dont get you... our snakes, spiders, conefish, octopus, sharks and drop-bears will!!!:rofl3:

sorry - i just love our deadlies

hope you have a great trip!

"Drop bears are commonly said to be unusually large, vicious, carnivorous koalas that inhabit treetops and attack their prey by dropping onto their heads from above."

"...having forks in the hair or Vegemite or toothpaste spread behind the ears will deter the creatures"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dropbear

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom