The "Blue Wild Spearfishing Seminar" July 20th, Dania Beach, FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chad Carney

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Here are two updates from Sheri Daye about this unique seminar:
http://www.longfins.org/seminarexpo.html

Quick update on "The Blue Wild" Spearfishing Seminar and Expo...we're having great response! We have 30 exhibitors so far, including Austin's, Scubasworld, Florida Freedivers, and Ocean Safari....all dive shops that cater to hunters. We have Jay Riffe, Ditmar Biller, Mark Laboccetta with Omer, Spetton, Armor Products, Headhunter, Freedive For Life, CaribeUSA, Zeagle, Hawaii Skin Diver, King Sailfish Mounts, Pelagic Gear, Spearfishing Magazine, Spearboard, and many more. In addition to Daryl Wong, Kirk Krack, and Art Pinder, we will also have Dr. Neal Pollock from DAN (Divers Alert Network) and Manny Puig (Sharkman) participating in the Expo.

We've had some great items donated towards the charity, and some will be given away, raffled and/or auctioned. Here is a partial list: AB Biller speargun, Hammerhead Muzzles, 10 signed copies of Terry Maas “Bluewater Hunter” books, 2 Carey Chen lithographs, Fins (Edge or Matrix), Omer/Manny Puig polespear, Hogfish Painting by Michael Braun, special edition Wong speargun, C4 Mustang Fins, C4 Monoscocca speargun, voucher for Yazbeck wetsuit, Sportube, 4 day Trip to Baja ($1,000 value), Fish Gyotaku by Ken Okutake, Capt Nemo Fins, voucher for Elios custom wetsuit, 6 Powerheads by Tito, 75’ blue float line, 2 Carlos Eyles signed books, Leaderfin Fins, Doc’s ProPlugs, custom made wetsuit by Spiros at Diveskin, Fish Print by Naoki, Fish Painting by artist Ron Croci, 4 subscriptions to "deep” magazine, DUI Gear bag, T-shirts from The BadTuna Company, Guy Harvey limited edition print, Guy Harvey T-shirts and products, Deep See EZ Lock titanium knives, D3 Suunto watch/computer, Aimrite railgun, Aimrite Float, Oceans In Action DVDs and T-shirts, 5 subscriptions to Spearfishing Magazine, Survival Optics Sunglasses, Blue Lizard sunscreen, signed "Spearfishing and Underwater Hunting Handbook", fish mounts, Guy Harvey button down shirt, free 2 tank dive for two on Island Magic, Pelagic Gear clothing, and more to come!

For $65, you get coffee service in the morning, lectures by first rate speakers, a high quality catered lunch, a spearfishing DVD to the first 100 ($30 value), discount coupons to Divers Direct, a raffle ticket, and entry to IGFA Museum. We are 1/2 sold out already, and we don't expect to have tickets left at the door. So, if you know that you want to attend, please don't wait until that last minute, because you may be disappointed. To those who are coming, we look forward to seeing you there!

Getting more "stuff" all the time! For the give-away and raffle, in the past week, I've gotten: Carbontek CT Glass blades, Marc Valentin speargun, Rabitech Stealth speargun, sling made and signed by Art Pinder, and a Yokooji speargun. Again, this is to benefit a charity, The Boca Raton Society for the Disabled, also known as Twin Palms...www.twinpalmscenter.com. I am really moved by the generosity of the spearfishing community! We might be called killers at times, but we've got warm hearts!!!

I'm about max'ed out with the vendors too, but I keep squeezing more in. I love the diversity. It's not just spearfishing equipment, but also fish mounts, marine clothing, lots of artwork, DVD's...even the FWC signed up today. They want to be able to answer spearfishing questions, but they are also thinking it might be a good place to recruit! So if you're looking for a job...

I just got the T-shirt sample today. Looks great. That's a picture of Art Pinder that appeared in a magazine in 1958. He slinged a giant cubera snapper and was looking into an underwater camera...very leading edge technology back then. I just watched a VERY old video....wow, was that interesting. Some parts would be politically incorrect today, but we will show the other parts.

The Miami Herald and Sun-Sentinel are about to publish information on this Seminar in the Outdoors section of the newspapers. Again, if you know that you want to go, please sign up beforehand because there is limited seating in the auditorium. If something comes up and you can't attend, I will refund your money. I am trying to avoid a mad rush at the door and people being left out that really want to go. To sign up...http://www.longfins.org/seminarexpo.html

Sheri Daye

For some reason my photo of the shirt design will not attach????
It's in my avatar, and on this link http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=30435&page=2&pp=15

I hope to see you there!

Chad

It was a great expo!! Thanks to all who made it possible.

Dr. Daryl Wong (the gunmaker) spoke about spearfishing in general.

Kirk Krack talked about freediving and training, one of his compadres was in the audience(finned down to 366 ft and back). He covered a lot about shallow water blackout and showed clips of divers blacking out AFTER they were on the surface and had a few breaths.

Dr Neal Pollock from Duke's hypebaric center talked about DAN accident statistics on free diving

Art Pinder who started spearfishing in the 40's gave an amusing talk.

New stuff in the pipeline:

An inflation device for freedivers that inflates if they exceed their preprogrammed depth or time. It has a couple of scenarios built in for shallow water blackout.

Zeagle is coming out with a freediver BC. It has a small air cylinder mounted to a tubular BC and built into a weight belt.

There were lots of really good prizes in the raffle provided by the sponsors and lots of exhibitors for hands on checking out of equipment.

It was held at IGFA headquarters (free admission to the museum), they're located right next to Bass Pro and Divers Direct. Bass Pro offered a one day 15% off coupon (bought a dive flag) and Divers Direct offered a one day 20% discount. I thought about it, went home, thought about it some more and finally went back to the store. I thought about it some more and compared different models for an hour in the store and finally bought a Riffe speargun. I've been wanting one for about a year, that one day 20% discount made up my mind.

If you're interested in spear fishing I recommend you attend the next one.

DennisS,

Congratulations on your speargun purchase.

Sheri Daye put on a great event, with around 300 people! (She also won the women's division in the Nationals Freediving Championship the day before.)

It was great to finally meet Daryl Wong, the craftsman that made my 3 custom spearguns.

Kirk Krack of Performance Freediving and Neal Pollock PHD of DAN, were very informative on dive training and safety. Kirk is always witty and shared video of blackouts and sambas.

Chip Bissell, a principal in the Freedive Safety Vest project gave an update that sounded like things have been stepped up.

And my buddy Art Pinder, spearfishing pioneer and legend, always cracks me up!

Tony Grogan gave out free copies of the new Spearfishing Magazine, Summer issue.

We got a lot of good feed back and suggestions, for Zeagle's new freediving "Ascent" BC Belt, from many of the Nationals competitors and other spearfishing and freediving enthhusiasts and professionals in attendance!

Almost everybody won prizes from spearguns, art works, knives, etc.

I hope Sheri and her many friends will do it again next year!

Chad

Back
Top Bottom