Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnny sea ranger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Last year I re-discovered an 8,000 year old aboriginal spiritual site. In 1965, the monolith was exploded by government workers seeking to stop a protest. In 1967 it was flooded by a dam reservoir. Last summer I relocated the remnants. It is located in the South Saskatchewan River near Elbow, Saskatchewan. Check out national interviews and uw video on my facebook page: Buffalo Rock Saskatchewan. In Cree it is known as mistas awasis asini..

I would be especially pleased to talk with any aboriginal divers in the USA or Canada.

One of the myths of the stone's creation begins with a Cree family crossing the prairies. They were in a hurry. They had a small baby fastened to the travois. The baby fell off and they did not notice it for hours. Then when they went looking for it, they could not find it. What happened was the head bull of a herd, and two younger bulls found it. The younger bulls said, "Let's kill it because men kill us." But the lead bull said, "No, we will keep it and raise it as a buffalo." This they did.

The buffalo child did not realize he was not like the other buffalo until he was a young man, when he gazed into a pool of water. Not long after he went to live with his own tribe -- humans. He lived with them several years. One day they were out hunting buffalo, and the buffalo child saw the lead bull, his adoptive father killed. He was very upset. The Creator saw the grieving young man and said, "If you want, roll over three times and you will be turned into a huge sleeping buffalo of stone. The young man thought about it and decided he preferred that to going on living in such sorrow.

Archeological research before the flooding showed several miles of teepee rings along the river. All the groups of the Cree gathered there each Spring when the leaves on the poplars were small.

The dive is 65 feet. Temp 54 Spring to 65 F Summer. Viz is zero when the silt is kicked up.

Back
Top Bottom