The Cave Politics, Rumor Monger and Gossip Guild is alive and well. Let's end it!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone on ScubaBoard once told me that I need to post less and dive more. Despite the fact that I typically log more dives in a month than that fellow had logged in his lifetime, I tend to agree with him ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: Jax
new bumper stickers that say

DIVE MORE, POST MORE- Share your passion SCUBABOARD
I want one, Chris! :D :D :D

Someone on ScubaBoard once told me that I need to post less and dive more.
Bob, you're one of the best ambassadors we have. Your underwater pictures incite people to dive. Hell, even I want to go to the PNW where you can only dive if it's "just below freezing". :D I think it's up to each of us to decide whether we're going to be a positive influence in the industry or not. You've done a wonderful job being the former.

And you want to take the chance of diving with one of these idiots?

But if you are in the cave with them... regardless of if you are diving "WITH" them.... you are still diving with them. Ok that sounded very circular. I have been stuck waiting for an exiting team that decided to screw around AT THE ENTRANCE.... I have also been at the entrance trying to get out while some team was trying to enter the cave. All of this and only 30 dives to my name.

If I don't have warm fuzzies about some ones ability at ANY point I'll turn the dive... If I suddenly don't have warm fuzzies about MY ability, I'll turn the dive. I have turned dives before the line was even tied in because I just didn't feel it with the dive buddy of the day.... later did a great dive with him.

So yeah, I'll take the chance with one of those idiots... they are taking a chance with me.

I have been stuck waiting for an exiting team that decided to screw around AT THE ENTRANC
Often, these are classes. I usually wait a minute or two and then skulk by them on the sly. Most instructors are cognizant that they are unnecessarily impeding divers and try to move their classes out of the way. Unfortunately, some are clearly working on their management and situational awareness skills while a few seem to have run out of Efs to give.

It is all good until there is an issue, a problem and then you may have absolutely no idea how they were trained to respond, or even *if* they were properly trained to respond. Just showing you a cave cert card alone should not give you ANY confidence that they will respond properly.

You can turn the dive *if* the problem hasn't happened already.

There is not a lot of consistency between cave diver training "agencies" -- I am constantly surprised by the incompetence I see amongst cave divers who are trained by part time / newbie cave instructors. Particularly those "cave" instructors who fund a trip to cave country once or twice a year by charging tuition for a cave class here.

Just in the past week I have seen "cave divers" flopping around on the bottom stirring up silt, I have seen "cave divers" on DPVs that clearly have no clue how to properly and safely ride a DPV in a cave. I have seen "cave divers" installing lines that flap in the breeze and cave divers who have no clue as to who has the right of way in a cave....

And you want to take the chance of diving with one of these idiots?

I've dove with some of those idiots and occasionally I even look like one myself :p. I'm not so paranoid that I won't dive with new people though. Some of my best buddies started off as unknowns. But I like to think I can handle a modest mess of my own or a buddies making and survive. Backing off my personal limits, assessing my buddy before and during the early part of the dive, thumbing it early. There are plenty of strategies to still have fun with an unknown. Granted I don't just walk into the parking lot at Ginnie, JB or Peacock and start asking for buddies. I am willing to ask facebook peeps and such well in advance of a trip so we can chat and come up with some mutually interesting and mild.

Re - different instructors and diving with unknowns, I share my latest dive report:

Due to personal events, and then ripping my drysuit zipper last July, I have not dived caves over a year. I signed up to four days of training with Edd Sorenson of Cave Adventurers. I discovered I have developed some bad habits and will need to train on video to correct that muscle memory! I made mistakes, corrected them, and re-engaged each day with enthusiasm and optimism.

I really, really enjoyed this week, and especially the last day. I was not only not only going in to Hole-in-the-Wall,where I was spotting all the white critters and the crawzillas and cats, but it all seemed so peaceful and comfortable. Edd didn’t say it, but I think I remembered how to dive that day. He was pleased. I have hundreds of take-aways of good critiques, tips, and tricks; and appreciation for how much you can lose without appropriate practice in an appropriate environment. I am extremely grateful for Edd’s patience, mentoring, and teachings during this trip. He is a real teacher – not critical as much as simply stating facts and leaving you feeling like you will execute properly next time. I thoroughly enjoyed this week and I benefited greatly by it.

I am incredibly saddened by the counsel I received to not post my more-extensive dive journal on forums, as I have in the past. Everyone opined the “camp followers” of some instructors to jump in with both feet and make an ugly hate-fest of it all. I guess I must have expected it too; it is why I asked for opinions. This makes the cave community look shallow, clique-ish, and more interested in bashing others than in improving the community. The community looks morally bereft.

If I dive with anyone, I will be up-front with my lack of experience and ask for feedback. If my knees drop, I want to know.

I have dived with Rob and Edd, I like them both and enjoy their training; I will not play the comparison game, none of it is my business, and *I wasn't there!* I dislike the opinions and rumors and will not entertain them. I so wish that others could do the same.

Last edited:
Re - different instructors and diving with unknowns, I share my latest dive report:

Due to personal events, and then ripping my drysuit zipper last July, I have not dived caves over a year. I signed up to four days of training with Edd Sorenson of Cave Adventurers. I discovered I have developed some bad habits and will need to train on video to correct that muscle memory! I made mistakes, corrected them, and re-engaged each day with enthusiasm and optimism.

I really, really enjoyed this week, and especially the last day. I was not only not only going in to Hole-in-the-Wall,where I was spotting all the white critters and the crawzillas and cats, but it all seemed so peaceful and comfortable. Edd didn’t say it, but I think I remembered how to dive that day. He was pleased. I have hundreds of take-aways of good critiques, tips, and tricks; and appreciation for how much you can lose without appropriate practice in an appropriate environment. I am extremely grateful for Edd’s patience, mentoring, and teachings during this trip. He is a real teacher – not critical as much as simply stating facts and leaving you feeling like you will execute properly next time. I thoroughly enjoyed this week and I benefited greatly by it.

I am incredibly saddened by the counsel I received to not post my more-extensive dive journal on forums, as I have in the past. Everyone opined the “camp followers” of some instructors to jump in with both feet and make an ugly hate-fest of it all. I guess I must have expected it too; it is why I asked for opinions. This makes the cave community look shallow, clique-ish, and more interested in bashing others than in improving the community. The community looks morally bereft.

If I dive with anyone, I will be up-front with my lack of experience and ask for feedback. If my knees drop, I want to know.

I have dived with Rob and Edd; I will not play the comparison game, none of it is my business, and *I wasn't there!* I dislike the opinions and rumors and will not entertain them. I so wish that others could do the same.
Jax. I am so sorry to hear you will not post a detailed thread on your course. I would love another female take, not as critique but just as fellow survivers! I did post a short write up of my course and only got well wishes and hlpful advice. Really hope you change your mind.

BTW. Congrats on completing your class.

Jax. I am so sorry to hear you will not post a detailed thread on your course. I would love another female take, not as critique but just as fellow survivers! I did post a short write up of my course and only got well wishes and hlpful advice. Really hope you change your mind.

BTW. Congrats on completing your class.
Erm, completing is a misnomer.

I'll share it in a PM, if you like. I was extraordinarily dismayed at my performance. My skills execution and knowledge was good, but my form - IMO - sucked rather spectacularly! I need to get another cheap aluminum tripod and video myself to catch my lax form before it becomes a bad habit. :cry:

Sorry Jax. Edd is by for the most physically/technically demanding instructor I have ever had. I would love for you to share your experience with me if willing...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom