The Great Depression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
When conditions are bad or we can't dive for any reason I get really depressed. I guess I need a life. When we're not diving we are usually writing, reading or talking about it. Today was our first time in the water in two weeks and it felt like months.
The ocean was flat, despite the swell models calling for three to five feet today. We had thirty feet visibility for our first dive at the Redondo Beach Barge. Large Mola Molas were being cleaned over the sand. Kevin Lee went inside the barge to look for the cabezon nest. I knew he wouldn't find the eggs because the cabbie was swimming around outside.
While I was photographing the tiny yellow fin fringehead Merry found last month she found a second one ten feet away.

RedondoBarge1_zps1266c6d2.jpg

RedondoBarge3_zps9919d344.jpg

I found a tiny Dendronotus frondosus nearby. When I saw it I hoped it was a new nudibranch for my collection but once I zoomed in my first photo I recognized it.

RedondoBarge9_zps0a557414.jpg

RedondoBarge10_zps890c1ea8.jpg

RedondoBarge5_zpsf43cf03c.jpg

RedondoBarge6_zpsaf812beb.jpg

Resting on my gloved finger

RedondoBarge15_zps83f7c7fe.jpg

Egg-bearing copepods on a flatworm

RedondoBarge16_zpsd4703ad8.jpg

Cadlina modesta

RedondoBarge17_zps59696e25.jpg

Hermissenda crassicornis

RedondoBarge13_zpsd4af98b1.jpg

Red Octopus with eggs. Notice the worm to the right.

RedondoBarge14_zps2952419b.jpg

We made out next dive on the crane near Haggerty's. Visibility was about twenty feet with no water movement at all. Our anchor rode remained limp throughout the ninety minute dive.

Haggertys1_zps709de93d.jpg

Mating pair of painted greenlings, doing what mating pairs do.

Haggertys3_zps11271935.jpg

Naked clam, Chlamydoconcha orcutti

Haggertys2_zpsf97d5c27.jpg

Peltodoris nobilis

Haggertys5_zps77c1e115.jpg

Haggertys4_zps2c27f390.jpg

Hydroids on kelp

I just can't wait to open any thread from either of you . . . the detail you get on tiny things is amazing, but even more, I appreciate the lovely lighting and use of depth of field to make the subjects "pop". Such artwork . . . You inspire me!

very nice

You should come out here, Phil & Merry. No problem diving the past two weeks. Vis has been great in the park (heading down there again in a few hours).

Tell Kevin I have been watching a cabezon guarding a nest with two batches of different colored eggs right in the park. Only problem is it is very shallow anbd the mild surge makes filming it difficult:

DDDB 600y cabezon and nest sm.jpg

I just can't wait to open any thread from either of you . . . the detail you get on tiny things is amazing, but even more, I appreciate the lovely lighting and use of depth of field to make the subjects "pop". Such artwork . . . You inspire me!
Wait until you see Merry's pics. She mopped up the floor with mine yesterday. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom