The problem with vintage diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's also no reason why you can't dive completely vintage in cold water. I'm just saying that in my somewhat limited experience, it's not as easy as diving with modern gear. Venting a Hydroglove type suit can be difficult and as often as not it lets some water in as the air escapes.

Even after about 15 dives, when I switched back to my Mobby's Armorshell it was shocking how easy it was to fill and vent in comparison.

There are some things I really like about the Hydroglove suits. The flexibility and price are unbeatable. The lack of a zipper is a big plus in my book too. You can get a whole new suit for less than the price of replacing that one item. The latex is also a lot tougher than it looks. For filling and venting however, modern suits are better hands down.

Cummon guys it hurts when you call the stuff I trained on vintage.
And it dam sure worked for diving in cold waters, cause that is about all the N Atalantic off ME and MA had.

Herman, are not you hosting some sort of vintage on Bonaire trip this year sometime?

Yep, Sand Dog VIII @ Buddy Dive, April 16-23. I still have space but will be dropping unspoken for spots Feb 5.

Last edited:
There is a West coast vintage get together in the works. Check out the Vintage Scuba Supply website for the details. I'd like to go, but I already have too many irons in the fire.
Are you talking about this one?
Vintage Scuba Diving Community Forum - 2011 North Coast Party & vintage get together

That's my party, let me explain though.
It's a dive and campout, but this is the first year I've had any vintage element to it, so it's not a purely vintage meet. Most of the people there are just regular scuba divers and freedivers. I figured what the hell and invited any vintage divers that want to make the trek because I'm sick of being the only one.
It's also camping which some people don't care for and it's also wild coastline and the diving isn't for the faint of heart. There's a lot of spearfishing and abalone diving and good 'ol boys hanging out drinking beer.

Besides Albion I wanted to get something going that is strictly a vintage rally in a destination location with all the good diving and great topside attractions.
That's why I thought Monterey would be nice.

Are you talking about this one?
Vintage Scuba Diving Community Forum - 2011 North Coast Party & vintage get together

That's my party, let me explain though.
It's a dive and campout, but this is the first year I've had any vintage element to it, so it's not a purely vintage meet. Most of the people there are just regular scuba divers and freedivers. I figured what the hell and invited any vintage divers that want to make the trek because I'm sick of being the only one.
It's also camping which some people don't care for and it's also wild coastline and the diving isn't for the faint of heart. There's a lot of spearfishing and abalone diving and good 'ol boys hanging out drinking beer.

Besides Albion I wanted to get something going that is strictly a vintage rally in a destination location with all the good diving and great topside attractions.
That's why I thought Monterey would be nice.

That's the one. It may not be a vintage meet, but it could well be the start of one. You have to start somewhere. I do like Monterey, or at least the Monterey of 1980/81. I'm sure it's changed since then and usually memory is kind.
My sister was stationed at Point Sur at the time and one of the enlisted guys needed a dive buddy for his 30 day leave. I went out there and wound up staying about two months. Had a blast. We dove near the Navy base at point Sur, Point Lobos(?) Monterey Bay among other places. The Aquarium had not been built yet. I'd like to see that.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom