The realities of adult diapers with dry suits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I've seen the topic danced around, but have not found any straight answers yet. Can anyone here actually speak first-hand of adult diaper use with a dry suit?

I just ordered a dry suit and thought a pee valve would be unnecessary for the time being. Then, a few days later, I did a 92-minute dive with 1,400 PSI left in my 100cf. Being in a wetsuit, it was no problem to eliminate in the water. I ended the dive because the wetsuit wasn't providing the thermal protection that I needed, however; this obviously won't be the case with the drysuit. If I were to use the remaining air before my reserve starts, the dive would be closer to 2.5 hours. Even though the urge to eliminate is not as strong in a dry suit, it seems that 2.5-3 hours is too long to wait.

So, a pee valve is certainly an option. I'm aware that adding one is not difficult to do myself. Nevertheless, I'm wondering if adult diapers are that terrible of an option. I wouldn't have the discomfort of the condom catheter when I don't need to eliminate (if at all), and presumably, would only have some minor annoyance towards the end of the dive if I did.

Note that the vast majority of my dives are in the 45-70 minute range, which is manageable.

Anyone comfortable enough with themselves to admit to wearing diapers? :wink:

Or, if there is already a thread where this is answered, please point me in the right direction. People don't seem to phrase their topic headings very well, so searching has not been easy.

Thanks!

I dive a dry suit in the colder months and when the thermo or dive profile conditions warrant. I have no p-valve as a persl. choice.....a number of my dives are in the manageble time range and there is no need for one. I have used them in the past and found them uncomfortable and they do poss some minor health issues. For me in staged deco diving I prefer to use HD Depends ('old school' if you want)....easy to slip on and off....I am secure in wetting them.....I at times wet in my wet suits....no biggy. Gals have no choise as us fellows do....so I assume they to wear a Depends type product as need be in their longer dry suit dives. :wink:

I heart my p-valve, but I did ask a co-worker for some diapers (she has kids!) to test out in case I had to use a rental suit or something. They are still in my garage- a project for a rainy day. :D

Before I did my Rec Triox class, I talked to a couple of female tech divers who do use diapers. They said they work okay, but they ALWAYS leak. Luckily, I didn't need them -- salt did the trick for me for the class.

Before I did my Rec Triox class, I talked to a couple of female tech divers who do use diapers. They said they work okay, but they ALWAYS leak. Luckily, I didn't need them -- salt did the trick for me for the class.

Can you clarify what you mean by salt doing the trick? Did you intentionally overdue your sodium intake?

Speaking of the leaking: I think I'm going to buy a few different kinds of items this weekend, try them on, and pour warm liquid in them. First, to see if the sensation is just too creepy, and secondly, to see what they do if I move around with the liquid in them (walking, jumping jacks, etc).

The maximum absorbency diaper by Depends looks like a freaking tank, so that might be worth picking up. It'll probably be way too uncomfortable to swim in though.

In any event, if I end up doing this I'll try and post my results (if I'm not too embarrassed!). :) In the meantime, hopefully some more peeps with experience will offer their opinions.

I just ate something real salty before getting in the water. Drops your urine output but maintains your volume status. Worked a treat.

They feel perverted , but when my drysuit was leaking badly they absorbed a ton of water.

Nothing perverted about bodily functions. Half the men I spoke with about valve vs. no valve stated that the pee-valve either leaked or the condom came unattached or fell off and none of these sounded like much fun. I opted for no valve and have routinely wore a depends, the best days I don't need it but then on other days, well, it beats cutting the dive short. Hang time is when the urge will get you and you simply cannot cut that short. Get the most absorbing one you can, if you don't, your undergarments will have to do a job they were not designed for. Lastly, don't schedule much social activity after the dive unless you can find and use a shower. These are probably the things that most of us just don't talk about, go figure! Good Luck and oh yeah, if you take a diaretic: wait till P.M..

I just got a drysuit w/ a pee valve & as mentioned above managed to pee all over myself. After a little research I figured out where I went wrong. Going out fri. for round 2:D

Don't think I could bring myself to pee in a diaper tho.

Don't think I could bring myself to pee in a diaper tho.

Funny thing is WE all start out life peeing in diapers....and for many of us we will go-out peeing in diapers--lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom