The reefs in Bonaire are not dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tursiops

Marine Scientist and Master Instructor (retired)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
This is a modified form of a post I made in another thread.....here to give it some visibility.

Yes, there are some dead corals in Bonaire....but only a few of the many in Bonaire; most corals in Bonaire have not been touched by SCTLD. Bonaire is in the Caribbean; there is SCTLD. Bonaire is in the Caribbean; there is bleaching. Most of the corals recover from the bleaching. Apparently none recover from SCTLD. But SCTLD does NOT kill all the corals, only some of the species.

Here is NOAA's list of SCTLD-affected species; I've added the common names:

Affected Species​

Highly Susceptible​

Colpophyllia natans (Boulder Brain) CNAT
Dendrogyra cylindrus (Pillar) DCYL
Dichocoenia stokesii (Elliptical Star)
Diploria labyrinthiformis (Brain)
Eusmilia fastigiata (Smooth Flower) EFAS
Meandrina meandrites (Maze) MMEA
Pseudodiploria strigosa (Symmetrical Brain) PSTR
Pseudodiploria clivosa (Knobby Brain)

Intermediately Susceptible​

Orbicella annularis (Mountainous Star) OANN
Orbicella faveolata
(Lobed Star) OFAV
Orbicella franksi (Boulder Star) OFAV
Montastraea cavernosa
(Great Star) MCAV
Solenastrea bournoni (Smooth Star)
Stephanocoenia intersepta (Blushing Star)
Siderastrea siderea (Massive Starlet)

Presumed Susceptible​

Agaricia agaricites (Lettuce)
Agaricia spp. (Saucer)
Mycetophyllia spp. (Cactus)
Madracis arenterna (Yellow Pencil)
Favia fragum (Golfball)
Helioseris cucullata (Sunray Lettuce)
Mussa angulosa (Spiny Flower)
Scolymia spp. (Artichoke, Disk, Mushroom)
Isophyllia spp. (Cactus)

Low Susceptibility/ Resistant​

Porites astreoides (Mustard Hill)
Porites porites (Clubtip Finger)
Porites divaricata (Thin Finger)
Porites furcata (Branched Finger)
Acropora palmata (Elkhorn)
Acropora cervicornis (staghorn)
Oculina spp. (Ivory)
Cladocora arbuscula (Tube)

The three species bold-faced in the list, along with Madracis mirabilis (Yellow Finger) and Undaria agaricites (Lettuce) (now called Agaricia agaricites) comprise 75% of the coral cover in Bonaire, from a 2018 report.

Note also that the NOAA list is for the Florida Reef Tract...not for Bonaire. According to an email I received from STINAPA late last year, the affected corals are: " ...it starts with the MMEA, followed by the EFAS, PSTR, CNAT and MCAV (these seem to hold on a bit longer), and then the DCYL as well as the ORBI (mostly OFRA and OFAV, not as much OANN), potentially AGAR as well." She is using the scientific shorthand for the latin coral names; I've transcribed those into the list above as well. You can readily see that Bonaire's corals are less affected than those in the Florida Reef Tract,

In short, Bonaire's corals are less affected than those in Florida, the most prevalent corals in Bonaire are not all affected.
At best, historically, Bonaire has about 50% coral cover, on average for the surveyed sites based on this report.
It is less now, but nowhere near "dead."

The reef is not dead. The sky is not falling.

Well NOW who do I believe?

Thanks, tursiops. One minor note--Undaria agricites is the old name for Agaricia agaricites, which NOAA lists as "presumed susceptible." The 2024 Frontiers article includes an image of presumed SCTLD on A. agaricites, so the jury may be out on that species (however, the authors categorize its susceptibility as "low." Fingers crossed.

If M. mirabilis survives unscathed, it should be renamed from "yellow finger" to "middle finger."

Thanks, tursiops. One minor note--Undaria agricites is the old name for Agaricia agaricites, which NOAA lists as "presumed susceptible." The 2024 Frontiers article includes an image of presumed SCTLD on A. agaricites, so the jury may be out on that species (however, the authors categorize its susceptibility as "low." Fingers crossed.

If M. mirabilis survives unscathed, it should be renamed from "yellow finger" to "middle finger."
Thanks for the update. That Dutch report from 2018 used the old name; AAGA would be better. I updated the OP.
I doubt Middle Finger will catch on for MMIR but I do appreciate the sentiment! Some of the sites on Klein are just covered with it (like Ebo's Special); it would really be a shame to lose it.

Ok folks, while the sky is not falling, the effects of SCTLD are horrendous. We have lived on the island for the last 6+ years and have watched the effects since the disease first was reported. The corals killed will never recover and will, over time, cover with algae.

Bleaching is a different beast, and depending on the coral and the length of time, can kill coral, however in the past does not. 2023 bleaching didn’t start until late in the year. Now, in March 2024, water temps are still above 80°F and there were very few places below this in over a year…. Corals need cooler temps to recover.

Care for the water, the reefs, and the planet …. It takes us all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom