The Swine Flu thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reuters is reporting that the CDC stated in a telephone call with reporters:

CDC says worried about swine flu outbreak | Health | Reuters

* Besser said the CDC is being "very aggressive" said it was time for people in the United States to think about what to do if this does turn out to be a pandemic.

* "What we expect to be seeing is that people start thinking about their own preparedness. It's a time where there is a teachable moment and people can take action about preparedness."

The CDC is definitely not downplaying this.

I do not want to encourage hysteria, and this story is not yet based on hard facts, but they're looking at New York now: Health Officials Investigate Illness at Queens Private School

Sadly, the story does not say where or when the students had been in Mexico.

I do not want to encourage hysteria, and this story is not yet based on hard facts, but they're looking at New York now: Health Officials Investigate Illness at Queens Private School

Sadly, the story does not say where or when the students had been in Mexico.

Reuters AlertNet - NY officials test students for swine flu -report

"It could be a strain we've seen before. It could be the regular flu," Dr. Don Weiss of the New York City Department of Health said. "It could be flu B that happens late in the year ... We really can't speculate at this point," Weiss added.

Swine flu, confirmed to kill 20 people in Mexico so far, is "flu A" (H1N1) .

And I heard that The WHO (World Hearth Organization)is convening an expert panel to consider whether to raise the pandemic alert level to level 4 or issue travel advisories on Saturday afternoon.

Yes, SARS was a big wake-up call in terms of lessons learned. It caused lots of work on better practices on both planning and communication..in Canada, at least. Like I've said, stay tuned. This is morphing quickly and things could be just fine or turn on a dime.

Yes, 100% agree. I think we learned a lot in SARS case. However, I read an article on Japanese news paper and am very disappointed that Mexico has learned nothing and Mexico is doing the same thing when SARS happend...
According to the Japanese news paper, Minister of Health in Mexico disclose that

The first patient was found on 13APR.
Mexico has been in alert since 16APR.
But not disclosed until 23APR, when type of virus was confirmed.
Alert will be continue 10 more days.
but Situation is under control(?)

I am very interested in what WHO makes decisions.

There is no vaccine for this strain right now. I suppose wearing a mask and not shaking hands would be prudent now while in contact with anyone traveling near Mexico. 70 are dead from this strain so far and at least 1000 sick. All schools and universaties are closed until further notice. All Canadian travel restriction notice will be delivered today.
Apperantly this strain is from human, bird and pig flu combined virus mutation of which there is no vaccine yet.

...this is probably yet another excellent reason to buy and use your own regs...like there aren't already reasons enough!

Ben and I are supposed to go on our Honeymoon to Isla Mujeres in three weeks. With this wait and see how the disease spreads concept I am at loss on how to proceed. We fly into Cancun before we head out to the Island.

...this is probably yet another excellent reason to buy and use your own regs...like there aren't already reasons enough!
Haha, I certainly own my own regs, but such as this is no reason. A cup of good mouth wash can sterilize a mouthpiece just fine. Funny how our minds can wander in such times.
Ben and I are supposed to go on our Honeymoon to Isla Mujeres in three weeks. With this wait and see how the disease spreads concept I am at loss on how to proceed. We fly into Cancun before we head out to the Island.
I appreciate your feelings. At least drunk drivers and thunderstorms can often be seen approaching, while this is an unseen & unknown threat. A real threat, but we just don't know yet what to make of it.
Good news: You have plenty of time to wait and see.

Bad news: You have 3 weeks to worry! :D
There will be much determined and very much advised between now and then. What is determined remains to be seen; what it suggested may well be simple ways to avoid contact, but we'll see.

Get back to your wedding plans and have a great one. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom