The Swine Flu thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate your feelings. At least drunk drivers and thunderstorms can often be seen approaching, while this is an unseen & unknown threat. A real threat, but we just don't know yet what to make of it.
Good news: You have plenty of time to wait and see.

Bad news: You have 3 weeks to worry! :D
There will be much determined and very much advised between now and then. What is determined remains to be seen; what it suggested may well be simple ways to avoid contact, but we'll see.

Get back to your wedding plans and have a great one. :thumb:

Thank you, for some reason that makes me feel a little bit better. We plan on being underwater most of the time, so not having contact with people should be simple.

Less than three weeks to the wedding!

my apologies if i offended anyone. I stand corrected.

However, i was not referring to all respiratory illnesses and certainly wasn't making any diagnosis. I was making a general statement referring to your basic upper respiratory infection as i know them (as a head/chest cold) - which have been going around locally and there have been no reports of deaths from this that i'm aware of. I incorrectly assumed that this is what the poster was referring to.

No, i am not a doctor, never claimed to be and don't play one on tv...so saying that i am irresponsible is going a little far.

Thank you don for "getting" the intent of my post - and apologies again to anyone that may have been offended by my general remarks on the topic.

i do not think it was an offense to anyone, in fact she is letting everyone know that there is no worry in this ares, the deaths reported have been about people that were not treated rapidly, officially our state is sealed and applying check points with medical staff on airports bus stations and highways, it is in 3 or 4 states but IT IS thousands of miles close to our state, and the meaning to me that no one will die of a respiratory illness was enough for me to get it she did not have to be specific and all about it, the truth is if the syntoms of this virus influenza or pig swine a new type are known on time it is curable. There are no alerts or anything like that about traveling and enjoying our state, the whole peninsula of yucatan the tristate area and its borders are sealed to the illness, we have a number of 0 cases. Official government info says it will be contained, soon, this has been reported in usa and canada and france as well. So lets try to be objectve but no so as if comparing a professional scuba instructor to a doctor or anyone us instructors have to know a little about the human body not as a doctor, a lot of themes treated on this board are answered and many advices come from this board from this instructors specially from christi who i only know from this board......so lets focus, go diving, i am not because the port is closed here in cancun but it is open in coz and i bet she is diving.....
Hope this info helps

Last edited:
Miguel, Christi and all the other dive ops at Cancun and Coz we all are aware of the grave situation of panic from this as yet early stage of the virus. The situation thus far is not entirely been put out there for the news to explore and report if the history of coverups plays here. aka delays in action or non-commital responsibility by governments. As such Mexico has stepped up quickly to give power to those that need it in this regard. The three western hemisphere nations are on high alert to this situation. Do you think for a minute that anyone who dives on Coz is not concerned for the people that work in the vacation industry there. Of Course we are. We are sick about this inside. It is just as bad as a hurricane ripping through. You just cant see the culprit until it has hit.

To say 'Those who seek timely care do not die from respiratory illness' was irresponsilbe, period. That is why she edited the post, and that was good. The attempts to down play this issue by the dive ops on this thread are not good. No one knows where or how it is going to pop up. Does this mean dont travel to Coz, well right now I think if a traveller where to wear a mask on the jet and when in contact with people that have been around that area,dont shake hands, then your chance of contracting it are quite a bit less. But because we dont look cool with a mask on that is likely not to happen too much. So I hope the virus has a mind of its own and stays away. I am worried about the welfare of the people on the island. The right call is very difficult right now. I am worried about the world in this issue. Sars hit my life, I know what that feels like.

We deal with West Nile virus in mosquitoes here in Canada, it is a crap shoot every time you get bit. I still go outside, I still go in the bush. If I had a ticket to go to Coz right now I would go. Knowing me I probably wouldnt wear the mask either.

Lighten up, Francis. The confirmed cases in Texas are closer to me in NE Texas than the confirmed cases in Mexico are to Cozumel, and I aint wearing a mask. For that matter, neither is anyone else. If you're worried, lock yourself up in the house and hide, do whatever, just don't feed the hysteria trolls.....

Thank you, for some reason that makes me feel a little bit better. We plan on being underwater most of the time, so not having contact with people should be simple.

Less than three weeks to the wedding!
Hehe, glad to hear that. Maybe I'll figure out this fatherly advise thing yet. :D

I've noticed myself concerned about my daughter's family this weekend for no reason other than they were away from home. Grandson is on a school trip to Dallas, the others went camping, and I worry about them not acting safely at times. Gee, wonder who they get that from? :blush:

France, DP? I haven't seen that. Saw that New Zealand discovered some likely cases. I imagine that we'll see cases all over the world from recent travelers to Mexico City. But everything I see indicates that the leading powers are taking aggressive and positive actions to contain the infection and treat the ill, and the cases been identified all seem to respond well to treatment. Home quarantine with family sounds tough; hope they all have good electronic connections to the outside world.

Excerpting from: Drug and vaccine makers on standby over swine flu | Top News | Reuters
Roche Holding AG's Tamiflu, known generically as oseltamivir, and GlaxoSmithKline Plc's Relenza, or zanamivir, are both recommended drugs for seasonal flu and have been shown to work against viral samples of the new disease.

Tamiflu is expected to be in greatest demand should swine flu develop into a pandemic, as experts fear it may, since it is given as a tablet. Relenza must be inhaled.

Roche said it has a stockpile of 3 million packages of Tamiflu ready for use by the World Health Organisation (WHO), half held in the United States and half in Switzerland.

"So far the WHO has not requested we deploy this stockpile. Of course, as soon as the WHO requires that we deploy it we will do so," said Roche spokeswoman Claudia Schmitt.

Google Shopping has many choices on masks, gloves, sterilizing lotions, etc. The Personal Protection Kit looks overpriced, but I'm sure there will be windfall profits in some area. This was my favorite item, on a duckbill cap...

2qs6vc7.jpg

Lighten up, Francis. The confirmed cases in Texas are closer to me in NE Texas than the confirmed cases in Mexico are to Cozumel, and I aint wearing a mask. For that matter, neither is anyone else. If you're worried, lock yourself up in the house and hide, do whatever, just don't feed the hysteria trolls.....

I'm not sure if your addressing me or not. I assume you are as your comment addresses masks. My name is Kevin if you are. I sit at home right now with the flu. I doubt it is this particular strain. My guys that work for me are phoning wondering if we are going to work tommorrow. I just took 2 T3s to take the ache away. I have not been to the doctor. I have isolated myself in the basement as my grandchildren are upstairs being watched for the day. I sneeze once in awhile so I'm trying to keep the germs down here. I wish you where here right now with me I would love to gift you. I asked the guys has anyone been sick lately. No. I dont know anyone sick right now either. I shake hands a lot as I own a business and thats what you do alot. So you little boy reread my post I said and I quote as you probably wont reread it 'If I had a ticket for Coz I would use it.' Like I wrote pal, you never know where it will pop up, take the risk. Just like walking in the bush around Alberta, you may contract West Nile Virus. By the way I caught that 3 years ago. That was nasty let me tell you. All talk about this will heighten senses to it. Just dont down play it. You are probably the type that would look better with a mask on anyway. ahaha.

BC and Nova Scotia today have anounced confirmed cases. All Nova Scotia cases are group of high school kids on a trip to the Yucatan. Good news seems to be - in pretty much all instances - that cases outside Mexico are less severe.

Dandy, it was reported that the Tamiflu shot is ineffective with this strain. And also Tamiflu does not kill the virus it simply lessens the symtoms and the duration.

Dandy, it was reported that the Tamiflu shot is ineffective with this strain. And also Tamiflu does not kill the virus it simply lessens the symtoms and the duration.
Conflicting reports are inevitable in times of stress, I suppose.

We have Fire Alert and Tornado Watch here now. Always something... :eek:

Sorry you can't go out for the special moon show at sundown tonight. I'm going to try to shoot it between trees.

Sorry you can't go out for the special moon show at sundown tonight. I'm going to try to shoot it between trees.

Ya that will be cool. Where are you going to post the shots?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom