The Swine Flu thing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya that will be cool. Where are you going to post the shots?
Haha I doubt they'll be that good, but I guess I could post some thumbs in Non-Diving forum. Best wishes on getting over your flu. I don't know that a basement is an ideal place, but I understand your self quarantine.

lets see, Christy say's go to the doctor if you get sick, sounds like very responsible advice to me.. basically you mean don't sit around hoping you'll get better on your own.. I got the general idea of your meaning..Thanks Christy.

Don, what's up with the moon tonight? I doubt I could see anything anyway the cloud cover here is pretty thick.

d88:wink:

lets see, Christy say's go to the doctor if you get sick, sounds like very responsible advice to me.. basically you mean don't sit around hoping you'll get better on your own.. I got the general idea of your meaning..Thanks Christy.

Don, what's up with the moon tonight? I doubt I could see anything anyway the cloud cover here is pretty thick.

From NASA: April 24, 2009: If you're reading this at the end of the day on Sunday, April 26th—stop! You're supposed to be outside looking at the sunset.

On Sunday evening, the crescent Moon, Mercury and the Pleiades star cluster will gather for a three-way conjunction in the western sky. It's a must-see event.

Continued: NASA - Twilight Sky Show
[c]
29ohpbc.gif

[/c]

Wow the Chritsy love-Yes she said go to the doctor. Read post 3. Read her post, she said you dont die after being treated. She then edited it. That was the irresponsible statement, read all posts before looking foolish. It was good she changed it. Now leave it alone. She was trying to quell a fear. Nothing wrong with that if it's correct information.
It would be better to have real info placed here so that the hysteria could be lessened. Speculation breeds fear and doctor classed advice placed by non doctors is foolish. This also leads to fear. A real doctor put her 2cents worth here and it quieted the fear. Leave alone until the experts say what is up. Giving red necked advice like,' aint nuthin wrong here,' also breads fear. We have a problem and it may blow over. My flu I just went through lasted 3 days. I sit in my basement right now finally able to breathe right. So this one coming out of Mexico may not be all that bad. In Canada where it has been reported, the flu seems to be weaker. Who knows it could be a different virus. But all the victims have one common denominator-Mexico. Would I travel to Cozumel, right now YES!!!!

In Canada where it has been reported, the flu seems to be weaker. Who knows it could be a different virus. But all the victims have one common denominator-Mexico.
It's been reported to seem weaker in the US, too? I wonder if the health pros are stating that, or just the journalists based on the fact that no one has died yet outside of Mexico. I'm sure the health pros are well aware that Mexico City air itself is unhealthy which could be part of the reason for more deaths, along with the possibility that the victims were not seeking medical aid - but do the journalists know this?

April 26, 2009: The Palo Alto Medical Foundation (PAMF) is following the swine flu situation closely and will post updates to our Web site as we receive new information. Meanwhile, we have provided interim guidelines to our physicians on the detection and management of swine flu.

While the outbreak of flu-like illness in Mexico and the appearance of scattered cases of swine flu in the United States are of concern, it is important to note that:
  • Only 20 cases in the United States and 18 cases in Mexico have been confirmed as swine flu as of this writing;
  • Cases of swine flu in the United States have been mild and most patients are already recovering;
  • Much still needs to be learned about the outbreak of respiratory illness in Mexico.
In the meantime, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have recommended that we take the usual precautions for an ordinary flu season such as:
  • Frequent hand washing;
  • Covering your mouth when you cough;
  • Staying home when you are ill with a respiratory illness.
Also, we request that you contact your provider by telephone or e-mail instead of coming directly to clinic if all three of the following apply to you:
  • A fever (temperature of 100 degrees or greater);
  • AND respiratory symptoms (such as cough, sore throat or shortness of breath);
  • AND travel within the last 7 days to Mexico or a U.S. county that borders Mexico (such as San Diego County).

miguel, christi and all the other dive ops at cancun and coz we all are aware of the grave situation of panic from this as yet early stage of the virus. The situation thus far is not entirely been put out there for the news to explore and report if the history of coverups plays here. Aka delays in action or non-commital responsibility by governments. As such mexico has stepped up quickly to give power to those that need it in this regard. The three western hemisphere nations are on high alert to this situation. Do you think for a minute that anyone who dives on coz is not concerned for the people that work in the vacation industry there. Of course we are. We are sick about this inside. It is just as bad as a hurricane ripping through. You just cant see the culprit until it has hit.

To say 'those who seek timely care do not die from respiratory illness' was irresponsilbe, period. That is why she edited the post, and that was good. The attempts to down play this issue by the dive ops on this thread are not good. No one knows where or how it is going to pop up. Does this mean dont travel to coz, well right now i think if a traveller where to wear a mask on the jet and when in contact with people that have been around that area,dont shake hands, then your chance of contracting it are quite a bit less. But because we dont look cool with a mask on that is likely not to happen too much. So i hope the virus has a mind of its own and stays away. I am worried about the welfare of the people on the island. The right call is very difficult right now. I am worried about the world in this issue. Sars hit my life, i know what that feels like.

We deal with west nile virus in mosquitoes here in canada, it is a crap shoot every time you get bit. I still go outside, i still go in the bush. If i had a ticket to go to coz right now i would go. Knowing me i probably wouldnt wear the mask either.

by dive ops you are referring to and down playing the issue you are completely and totally wrong. My comment on this issue stated what government officials are saying about the matter in this state and this country, answering someone who plans to come soon, that is it, i did not state any other opinion but the official info so there are no massive hysterics. And maybe what i just saw of the cdc of usa and the press conference by Janet Napolitano is wrong but they still say that when detected and treated on time there is no threat EXCEPT IF IT INTERACTS WITH OTHER ILLNESSES, OR THE VIRUS IS ON AN ADVANCE STAGE,(I AM NO DOCTOR AND I BET THERE ARE EXPERT FORUMS WHERE YOU CAN POST AND FIND INFO DIRECTLY FROM PROS), they have identified the virus and do have a treatment against it, a friend in mexico city had his brother feel this syntoms he went to the hospital for treatment and is back home. Yes this is something to worry about and cases are appearing in a lot more places, but i just think being well informed is the best thing to do. I repeat the goverment of this state again at 6pm has stated 0000 cases in the tristate peninsula, this is a comment by the governor not by the dive ops trying to down play the issue, i would not recommend traveling to mexico city, but our state is sealed already not by dive ops but by the government and if a traveler comes in by air or land will be checked by medical staff not dive op staff. People here in cancun are worried but not freaking out, and yes we do not know where it will pop up but there are actions being taken and i dont know about other countries but here there are no hidden news on the matter.....but anyway everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and what is stated on this post again and i insist is information i have gathered, a family member is in high position with the federal gov (WHO IS ACTUALLY A DOCTOR,SURGEON EXPERT ON RESPIRATORY AND LUNG DISEASES)......so here it goes again up to today right now there are no threats in the tristate peninsula of yucatan and this is not meant to do anything but provide the gathered information.

Last edited:
Thanks pro for staying on top of things.
Like I said if you've got a ticket for me to come to the Mayan Riv as a guinea pig for travel to the peninsula I will gladly lend my body to science in this dire time. By the way can I bring my dive gear as I think I will need it.:D

..if a traveler comes in by air or land will be checked by medical staff not dive op staff.
Oh really? All incoming plane passengers are screened...?

Not cruise boat people? I can imagine the bottle neck at the dock, and I guess they are considered to be coming from a monitored environment, to an extent anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom