The weirdest things I ever ate were...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu:
Hmmm, not me.........My dad came home one night drunk off his A$$$$. My mother had placed a can of dog food on the kitchen counter for the dogs. When she woke up in the monring, the can was empty..........

:rofl: HAHAHAHA thats so wrong, but so funny!

this summer, a local Baltimore treat was....

Cicadas. You could have them barbecued, that way they taste like burnt french fries, but I (for a dare) snatched one out of the air and ate it. It was wierd, since it was flapping in my mouth. Didn't taste like much.... just, crunchy.

I have had dog in china.... raw octupus (not bad...) ibix, stone rabbit, raw eggs, raw cow, cacaroaches, kangaroo jerky, crocadile, alligator, vegemite (I didn't mind it that much.), and grass

I will try to think of more.

well, i should probably mention that all of these things are quite normal for me, but you could be surprised

cabrito (as mentioned above, cooked under the earth wrapped in banana leaves)
fish eye stew
mollejas (the ears, glands, tongue of beef)
morcilla ( coagulated blood wrapped in the intestine of the animal)
pufferfish, seaurchin, ( my step dad owns restaurants and has a sushi bar )
maguey worms ( the ones you usually find in mezcal )
cueritos (skin of bulls in the plaza de toros in all bullfighting events, and in CU, the azteca, or azul stadiums during any soccer matches)
ostrich eggs
tongue
haggis ( the scottish sandwich )
pig and chicken feet
raw deer
boiled snake

thats about it

Had roasted beaver at a wild game dinner at the local sportsmen's club, it was excellent! Not something I would eat a large portion of because the meat seemed kind of rich and a little oily, but nonetheless it was great.
My girlfriend cooked me a local favorite from back home "Cuy" which is roasted guinea pig. Was not keen on the idea but tried it anyway and really liked it. Tasted a lot like wild rabbit. Guess this is a very popular dish in Columbia and Ecuador.

I guess it may be wierd for some but I too have eaten beaver. We BBQ'd it whole and put it on the table. No one would eat it so we deboned it, put it back out and it vanished. Here in Mississippi, we regularly eat squirrel, coon, rabbit, deer, ducks, frog legs, catfish etc. Bull testicles thinly sliced and deep fried. Taste like the most tender country fried steak you've ever eaten. I had Rattlesnake once and liked it. Alligator is served in several restaurants close by. Escargot on cruise ships is one of my favorites. I'll try anything once.

I ate some firefly larvae (tasted nutty) while doing a survival course in the Amazon a few years ago. While in high school (back in '60's) I ate chocolate covered ants (tasted like a Chunky), grasshoppers, bubblebees, and a worm. The worm was forced on me by a bully who was going to beat the crap out of me if I didn't eat it. Funny, I don't remember what the worm tasted like. I ate horsemeat (not too bad....a little chewy and on the sweet side).

We used to get guinea pig on a stick, that they roasted on street side charcoal grills. This was always on the way back to the ship, late at night in callao peru. I went to a wedding on top of the local cat house and found that there were pens on top of all surrounding buildings.
Kangaroo
Snapping turtle
Sea Cucumber
Mantis shrimp
Puffin
Sabrefish
Sea Turtle, that was a long time ago, it's supposed to have pieces that taste like seven different meats. I found pieces that tasted like pork, chicken, beef, venison, I don't remember what the other three were.

Scrapple isn't weird, luckily I didn't read the label until I was in my twenties. Everything they sweep off the floor or empty from the offal bins ground up and mixed with meal. It ranks with vienna sausages and that weird corn beef hash that comes in a can and smells like dog food when you first open it. I still haven't decided whether I like libbys or hormel best.

The one thing I wanted to try, but couldn't, was the blind shrimp we caught, living on the black smokers, of the midatlantic ridge, probably a good thing when you consider the heavy metals in the plumes. One of those "seemed like a good idea at the time" moments

If that lizard doesn't quit crapping in my boat, I'll probably try iguana.

Foolish me. I never thunk to look in Food and Recipes for hilarious threads.

Luckily when I was growing up we had a dog to feed so not everything contained within the skin arrived at the table sooner or later.
I didn’t see any Moose Heart and Tongue yet, very good - if you stay out of the kitchen until they don’t look…well, as you can imagine (Moose have very large tongues BTW.) Caribou steak was nasty but made excellent sausage. Fortunately Bear (brown) was too much for even my father and had to down my allocated serving only once. Don’t experiment with Dahl Sheep yourself, get a good mentor.

None of these are really odd, I cannot compare to most of you, nor do I wish to. (Thank goodness there aren’t any attached photos *shudder*.):D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom