The weirdest things I ever ate were...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cancun mark:
???? what is it before they bury it????

Basically, Kimchi is chinese cabbage, adorned with spices, then allowed to ferment, traditionally by burying it. I think I'll pass.

gfisher4792:
Basically, Kimchi is chinese cabbage, adorned with spices, then allowed to ferment, traditionally by burying it. I think I'll pass.

It isn't too bad, a little spicy.

Paul

reefraff:
Kim chee
The only thing wrong with this stuff is that they dig it up after burying it. Next time, I’ll use it instead of wasabi to hide the taste of…

You can make it without burying it ... my wife makes it quite often and it's quite tasty.

3dent:
Be careful with that rofl. If I thought you really were rolling on the floor laughing over my simple mistranslation, I might think you were very condescending.
Nope I was laughing at Fins' post about being sick.

Green_Manelishi:
As a proud Scotsman, even the Haggis is not something to be eaten.
Just remember kids, friends don't let friends eat haggis.

Not sure how you spell it, but the rough translation is "cho tofu" ... stinky tofu.

Ate some in Taiwan. It's actually pretty good if you can get past the smell ... which could best be described as "fermented locker room" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am not even in the same league with some of you people.

I have eaten whale a couple times in Norway. It was absolutely scrumptious the way Marit cooked it. (they swear that it is not an endangered species) It was weird to go buy a chunk of whale meat that was shaped just like a brick. I would loved to have some again.

Also ate Reindeer in Norway. Fabulous the way Ellen cooked it!

I had Frog's Legs at Club Med in Crested Butte. Not that unusual, but it always makes me think of a cartoon from Playboy many year ago.

Alligator in Florida last year. It was not that great, and a bit pricey.

I always said that I would never eat snails, but I did on a cruise ship a few years ago.

I also swore that I would never eat Lutefisk, but Ellen brought me some she had prepared once in Norway, and I was too polite to refuse. First bite was okay, second bite was less okay, by the third taste I was losing composure so I had to stop. Nasty stuff.

The cod roe was tasteless, but the texture was not pleasant so I ate very little of that.

In Crested Butte I ordered the "Rocky Mountain Surf & Turf" which was Elk and Trout. Not weird, but different, and good.

My sister turned me on to Peanut Better and Dill Pickle sandwiches which I still eat. However, my brother added bananas and mayonaise also, and I refused to try that.

Ate some "yodad" (unknown spelling) which was a salami made from mountain goat once. Very good.

I guess I have lived a rather sheltered life. Many of the things other people have mentioned here would utterly gross me out. I don't even like it when they bring out the duck's head at a chinese restaurant. To each his own.

Wristshot

What's the difference between a hamster and a gerbil?

There's more white meat on a hamster.

i'm also a lightweight... weird foods for me have been limited to:

1. my own cooking in college

2. tongue of water buffalo (musky and sweet.. quite nice)

3. snails

4. alligator

5. turtle

6. a raw chicken leg i tried to eat a party once, thinking it was cooked (in my own defense, i was totally wasted at the time)

1) a turtle egg. Even when cooked, the white part is runny and the yellow part gritty. Before you all throw the un-eco charges at me, but this was about 30 years ago, and part of an exchange student experience Malaysia. I could hear my mother saying, "You will eat what is offered, and be polite."

2) durian. Personally, I like it, but a lot of people don't. If you don't know this fruit, do a search on the board. It has been discussed.

3) a tripe taco from a street vendor in Hermosillo, Mexico. I lived.

4) sea cucumber. At a Chinese banquet in Washington, DC. I didn't know what it was at the time, but now that I do know, I'm sick. This, too, is a texture issue.

5) frogs' legs and snails. I don't have a problem with these.

I'm still thinking, but there are probably more...

FLL Diver, I, too, still hate limas, but I've heard the French version is superior, and I remain open to that...

Here in Singapore we get lots of Durian, sea cucumber, pig stomach and chickens feet etc. All of which are not plesant to me, but delicious to the Chinese. I think we can agree on this.

What I can't agree with is the comments on haggis, I love the stuff and I'm not even Scottish!!! I think you must have all had off ones or something, it's like a spicy meat loaf.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom