The Workout ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hah ... I just came across this post from few months ago. I'm still at it ... dropped 55 lbs so far (15 to go). My trainer's changed my workout routine three times since January, and I'm not even doing those exercises anymore. Doing things like landmine squats and mountain climbers now ... which I'm enjoying quite a lot. Last week I added running to the routine ... gonna work my way up to a 5K road race at the end of August.

Dropped from a size 40 to 34 pant size ... and ordered a new drysuit last week. My old one fits me like a choir robe. Who knew that getting in shape could be so expensive ... but I'm starting to like what I see when I look in a mirror ... :)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wow, man that's AWESOME!

FWIW, I seem to find that no matter how much I work out, I do not lose weight from that alone --- I have to limit my food intake (quantity and quality). That, for me, is quite the on-going struggle. And I need to limit the food more each year. Ugh.

- Bill

Yup ... what you eat is about 80% of it ... the workouts are less about burning calories than they are about turning fat into muscle ... which improves your metabolism and makes it less easy to turn what you eat into fat. It definitely takes some effort and determination. Every time I travel, and have to come off my nutrition plan and eat "normal" food, I gain weight. Fortunately, once I'm back on plan it comes off again fairly easily.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yup ... what you eat is about 80% of it ... the workouts are less about burning calories than they are about turning fat into muscle ... which improves your metabolism and makes it less easy to turn what you eat into fat. It definitely takes some effort and determination. Every time I travel, and have to come off my nutrition plan and eat "normal" food, I gain weight. Fortunately, once I'm back on plan it comes off again fairly easily.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This just shows you that what we now think of as "normal" doesn't actually work well at all.

This just shows you that what we now think of as "normal" doesn't actually work well at all.

I was being slightly sarcastic (hence the quotation marks around "normal") ... I've adjusted normal to be what I eat at home now, rather than when I travel.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was being slightly sarcastic (hence the quotation marks around "normal") ... I've adjusted normal to be what I eat at home now, rather than when I travel.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You're ahead of the curve. Most people are still trying to figure out how they can lose weight, then stop doing that so they can get back to the "normal" that put the weight on in the first place. I'm actually in the middle of a book project on that very topic.

I'm really glad to hear you're doing so well, Bob. Any photos of the new you? :)

Last edited:
... taken today, in fact, on my morning hike. That's Mt. Rainier in the background ...

IMG_3146.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Stepped on the scale this morning ... 199.8

... last time this body saw the south side of 200 lbs, Ronald Reagan was president ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom