Thinking about taking up golf ball diving.

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by icedrac, Mar 16, 2010.

1. icedrac

icedrac Angel Fish

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Hello,
    I am looking to get in to golf ball retrieval. I talked to a guy here at the Dive Shack, my local dive shop. This seems like something i would like to get into. So any advice on doing so? Such as gear or companies to contact or even people to contact so i could do a few dives with. I am in mohave county. Thanks for the help.

2. icedrac

icedrac Angel Fish

Yeah the guy i talk to said it was a little harsh on the gear, but he has been doing it for a while.

3. carrielsal

carrielsal Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    There have been several threads I have seen in the last year on SB that discusses the pros and cons. Have you searched the forums?

4. RJP

RJP PADI Pro

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Look for the recent story about the guy who died doing it not long ago.

5. icedrac

icedrac Angel Fish

ok i will do that. Thank you. I am still interested in doing this though.

6. TMHeimer

TMHeimer Divemaster

I had 2 freinds that did this for years without problems, but who knows.

7. Divor

Divor Nassau Grouper

Watch out for those snapping turtles!

8. diverdoug1

diverdoug1 Photographer

# of Dives:
    I did it here in Florida, but most of it was on skin diving (some on SCUBA). Gators were a nuisance, but I guess that is not a problem in Arizona. I also hated running into Cottonmouths and big Snapping Turtles. I got bit by snakes 3 times, and bit by a Gator once. One time I figured out that I was making about $6 per hour after expenses (including a significant kick-back to the course). Very dirty / hard work (worse than cleaning boat hulls). STAY IN SCHOOL!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2010
  9. fstbttms

fstbttms Manta Ray

If you listen to the people who post here looking for suckers... I mean, divers, to work their golf ball retrieval gigs for them, the money is phenomenal. Six figures, by one account. :rofl3:

10. Abaco24

Abaco24 Single Diver

11. Garrobo

Garrobo Great White

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I mean like they are what? Three or four dollar each?

12. Brishar

Brishar Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Pros
    1. Love diving in zero visibility, might even qualify for new "touch diving" c-card.
    2. Alligators, water snakes and turtles are over-rated anyway.
    3. Almost nobody throws stuff like barbed wire in ponds any more.
    4. Chemical and bio waste runoffs are actually good for your complexion and will
    keep that "brand new shine" on your dive gear for ever!

Cons
    1. You won't ever have to worry about competing against me for this job.

It's your choice. :popcorn:

13. vladimir

vladimir Giant Squid

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I like the entrepreneurial spirit. Make your own schedule, work outdoors, get directly compensated for the fruits of your labor. Maybe one day have a string of golfball divers working for you. That's what made America great! Good luck.

14. diverdoug1

diverdoug1 Photographer

# of Dives:
    The main problem with golfball recovery diving is that it is frequently blackwater diving that is approached without adequate safety measures/equipment (because that would eat up the miniscule profit you make). At least if you sign up to be a muck jumper (sewage grate cleaner), they supply the suit.

15. icedrac

icedrac Angel Fish

Well it seems like there are a lot of pros and cons to this, though many of you seem to be very anti golf-ball diving.
    It is still something i am going to pursue, It is not like it is my main job. I just got out of college too. It is more like something to try to make some money on the side. One of the local divers around here says he uses a hookah setup to dive these ponds and such. any advice on that?

16. Nemrod

Nemrod Giant Squid

# of Dives:
    I would rather shoot staples into my forehead as "dive" for golf balls.

From someone who has done both. One by accident, the other on purpose, you guess which.

N

17. TechBlue

TechBlue Tech Diver

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    You are one dedicated MF :) I hope you didn't give the ball up :D Very good advice that looks like it will be ignored. But there again what do you get for a college degree nowadays?

18. carrielsal

carrielsal Divemaster

Wasn't the guy who died on a hookah without a surface tender?

19. Vlane

Vlane Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    I've seen a few of these posts pop up every now and then on here and the main concern with golf ball diving is typically water contaminants. A lot of golf courses use all kinds of fertilizers and those will run into the water traps, sometimes giving them a strange tint. There was one post I read where someone actually had a contract with a golf course to retrieve balls but they used some hefty gear, including a drysuit and full face mask. I'm not sure if the chemicals in the water will have a long term effect on your health but I still wouldn't consider golf ball diving without the proper gear.

20. dumpsterDiver

dumpsterDiver Scuba Instructor

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I did it for years with pretty much recreational dive gear, wetsuits etc. It was tough work, but I grossed 8 cents a ball and could find pretty many in a day, usually. It takes a while to train yourself to locate and effciently pick up balls in very poor or zero visibility.