Thinking about taking up golf ball diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depending on local critters and course practices this can be nasty. I stick with free range golf balls found in sites where diving is pleasurable.

Pete

I would rather shoot staples into my forehead as "dive" for golf balls.

From someone who has done both. One by accident, the other on purpose, you guess which.

N
:rofl3:

I got bit by snakes 3 times, and bit by a Gator once.
Wow. You'd think one of those would have been enough to deter you from further golf-ball diving. :confused:

One time I figured out that I was making about $6 per hour after expenses
Oh, never mind--that explains it. $6 an hour! Worth it!
:D

Wow. You'd think one of those would have been enough to deter you from further golf-ball diving. :confused:

Oh, never mind--that explains it. $6 an hour! Worth it!
:D

At 8 cents a ball, I used to make around $50 per hour in the water, but there was a lot of other non diving, like driving, getting dressed, getting the cart, driving the cart, unloading balls, counting balls, bagging and labeling balls and then delivery of balls. If I was getting less than $30 per hour, in water, then i was moving to the next pond or going home.

My main expense was the fee I had to pay the golf course. The 6 dollars per hour (net profit)was enough to help pay for some expenses when I was a student, I also did some bar tending, and eventually started diving comercialy to pay for educational expenses. BTW, getting bit is part of the game you sign up for if you ball dive in Florida

Last edited:
I've seen a few of these posts pop up every now and then on here and the main concern with golf ball diving is typically water contaminants. A lot of golf courses use all kinds of fertilizers and those will run into the water traps, sometimes giving them a strange tint. There was one post I read where someone actually had a contract with a golf course to retrieve balls but they used some hefty gear, including a drysuit and full face mask. I'm not sure if the chemicals in the water will have a long term effect on your health but I still wouldn't consider golf ball diving without the proper gear.

ditto...

I did it for years with pretty much recreational dive gear, wetsuits etc. It was tough work, but I grossed 8 cents a ball and could find pretty many in a day, usually. It takes a while to train yourself to locate and effciently pick up balls in very poor or zero visibility.

And hence the nick?

At 8 cents a ball, I used to make around $50 per hour in the water, but there was a lot of other non diving, like driving, getting dressed, getting the cart, driving the cart, unloading balls, counting balls, bagging and labeling balls and then delivery of balls. If I was getting less than $30 per hour, in water, then i was moving to the next pond or going home.

So you were able to gather more than 10 balls per minute continuously while in the water? Are you sure there isn't a touch of creative math or at least some selective memory going on here? Or was it just a club full of REALLY bad but highly determined golfers? :rofl3:

Wow, so much more advice. :D If there is one thing i have learned since getting my OW cert it is any advice from other divers is worth taking into consideration. As far as the gear I got all my normal diving gear, 7mm wet suit, hood gloves, etc. I want to use the hookah system with a backup pony bottle, just in case. The diver i am talking to that does this doesn't use a dry suit or really anything out of the norm. As far as the chemicals in the water, the guy says to just shower off as soon as possible, and wash your gear quickly.
I want to use the money from this to invest in my gear for diving in so cleaner places. :wink:
The degree will pay off, after i get a few years of experiences.

But all of you, Thank you for your advice i will be sure take it in to consideration.

I have been looking into this too... It seems like it can be easy money! here the guy who does all the courses pays me 50-60 an hour no matter how many i get so its good money here.

I already have a drysuit with dry gloves and was looking into a FFM to protect me even more.

And hence the nick?

So you were able to gather more than 10 balls per minute continuously while in the water? Are you sure there isn't a touch of creative math or at least some selective memory going on here? Or was it just a club full of REALLY bad but highly determined golfers? :rofl3:

If you have never done the work, then I think it is inapprorpiate for you to question my productivity numbers. 10 bals per minute is not fast at all. It is honestly amazing how quick and efficient you can become at picking up something as simple as a golf ball. I would generally shoot for 3,000 bals per day, that is $240, but I am quite sure I had some days that approached 5,000 balls. You don't even put the balls into the catch bag until you have atleast 3 or 4 in your hands at one time.

I had a spreadsheet that tabulated my "catch for every single day of diving for years (since i used it to develop invoices). My hard drive crashed so I can't see the records anymore.

I did it in Florida and the conditions were not great. It is stenuous work and it is particularly tough on the shoulders with the constant arm sweeping motion that is required and it takes strength to walk wearing 20 to 35 lbs of lead and tank and lift bags of balls out of the water that weigh 50-70 lbs. It is not easy work. It is strenous, dangerous, battling ear infections is a constant concern.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom