Thoughts on LP Inflator hose / not in use..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caveeagle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just seeking input or thoughts on keeping a LP inflator hose attached to a redundant first stage when not in use?
Primarily using BM doubles, and have a couple thoughts:
1) I don't want to remove the right side LP inflator hose when diving wet
2) ..and like having it there to check IP before each dive.
3) I think changing out hoses constantly proposes its own set of risk/wear on gear
4) I know it creates additional failure points, but no worse than using a dry suit
5) Can (or should) you cap off the QDC when the hose is not in use? I have not seen a cap for this, but it would not be hard to make. Would that be better or worse, than just leaving it uncapped.

*I know this might fall into the "stupid questions" file.. :)

leave it open. Capping it can create problems on its own. In sidemount I just tuck it into the hose retainer when diving wet. For doubles since it is drysuit length, it gets tucked in the waist strap on the right, and in singles on the left side. Too lazy to take it on and off. I do check IP pretty religiously, but usually before a day or trip of diving, not before every dive, but that's just me.

The end or coupling is wet when it is hooked up and wet when not, so should be fine. I have been carrying a spare inflator hose on my reg for years - so i can use an Air 2 or a normal inflator.. the bigger issue is the failure potential -

eh, the inflators are upstream valves, so they'll fail closed at high IP, you have the same o-ring that you would on the port plug, so you add the hose and the crimp connectors, but you have to weigh in of how much wet vs dry diving do you do, and what are the other advantages of having a spare inflator. My stage and deco bottles all have inflator hoses on them for IP checking as well as emergency inflation duty in a cave. I.e. my right bottle fails, I can still inflate my drysuit, or vice versa on the wing. I don't dive singles hardly ever, and certainly wouldn't in a drysuit, but the benefits outweigh the cons. The long inflator hose does stay on my first stage for singles in case of lift bag use as I prefer inflators to trying to inflate with an octo, but that's just personal preference

I have never really heard of anyone having an issue with this, but never really heard it was "safe" either. I get the additional point of failure, but is that really any worse than diving dry?

I guess, having the QDC behind you out of sight, could be bad, if it starts leaking and you don't notice it, where as you are more likely to see it when connected to a BC / or DS inflator.

I have an additional LP Hose, just in order to inflate my closed Halcyon SMB. A great thing and nothing to worry about :)

Regular tech guy in me says "not a big deal" but don't cap the end, tuck it away tight. If it's no overhead or long deco, then meh.

DIR tech guy in me says " bring what you need and is prudent, don't be lazy, don't justify laziness with excuses"

So, A or B...you choose.

Back
Top Bottom