Three divers die in a cave accident, Punta Iacco, Palinuro Italy Aug. 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It says the rescue divers found Silvio in the ladder. Where is the ladder? Is the 16m cunicolo traverse the same as the ladder, where the 2 Mauro were found?

Last edited:
Palinuro, recovered the body of the third sub
Silvio Anzola, who died on August 19 along with Mauro Cammardella and Mauro Tancredi, was spotted Wednesday

Email
press
August 25, 2016
Palinuro, recovered the body of the third sub
Silvio Anzola
E 'was recovered by firefighters Silvio Anzola body, the sub was trapped on August 19 in a burrow in the seabed of Palinuro, near Salerno. With him there were still Cammardella Mauro and Mauro Trancredi, whose bodies have been recovered in recent days. Wednesday in Palinuro were held funeral Cammardella and Tancredi.

The Anzola body was taken aboard a Coast Guard patrol boat where there is also the Vallo della Lucania pm en route to the pier where Palinuro waiting family and friends. The body of the Milanese tourists died in the sea will be transferred to the hospital San Luca di Vallo della Lucania at the disposal of the judicial authorities to be autopsied, as was the case for his teammates in the fatal dive.

The recovery of Anzola has required during discovery took place on Wednesday, says Agi the commander of the port of Salerno, Gaetano Angora, "a careful analysis of the cave where he had been trapped. There was an official plan of the cave and then the assessment work was very challenging. "
Tragedy of Palinuro, the map of the "Cave of the ladder"
{}
The body was 45 meters deep in a tunnel of the "Cave of the ladder." Meanwhile, investigations continue to reconstruct the dynamics of

tragic plunge last Friday in which they killed the three sub. The autopsy of Cammardella and Tancredi has confirmed the death by drowning, but to clarify is the cause of what happened. For this we will have to await the outcome of the technical analysis of the equipment and the wrist computer for divers with the Prosecutor, now supplemented by what the Anzola wrist.
TagsArgomenti: palinurosubProtagonisti:
© All rights reserved August 25, 2016

I am just a recreational diver, some days I have better dives than others. I think the focus of this topic should be the loss of the divers, not what we have or haven't done. I'm sorry if I dragged us off topic.
-jim

I think the focus of this topic should be the loss of the divers, not what we have or haven't done.
That's for the "Passings" forum. Accidents and Incidents is for exactly the type of discussion we're seeing here. From the Special rules for A&I:
The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through the examination and discussion of accidents and incidents; to find lessons we can apply to our own diving.

I just received news from 'people' that know 'people' that one of the divers was actually cave certified and has dived in some serious cave diving with 'people'.
This then makes this accident much more inexplicable. All I can say is faulty decision making.

For those willing to better understand limits and the cost of going beyond, scubatech philippines just republished a good article by R.D. Milhollin named the Sheck Exley's Razor
Sheck Exley's Razor - The Nature of Limits

Also I did write a small piece on divers' decision making and risk management on Tech Diving Mag issue 24 pg. 15, mutating my aeronautical knowledge on those two topics to the diving field. It has served me well, hope it might help someone else.
http://www.techdivingmag.com/download024.asp

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom