Three divers lose their lives at Chac Mool in Riviera Maya. 2 Brazillian, 1 Spaniard

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by whereisthesea, Apr 20, 2012.

1. whereisthesea

whereisthesea Angel Fish

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Fallecen 3 buzos extranjeros en la Riviera Maya :: TVNotas !Irresistible!

Fallecen 3 buzos extranjeros en la Riviera Maya

20 de Abril del 2012 Por: Redacción/EFE. Foto: Especial

Los turistas ingresaron la tarde del jueves al cenote Chac Mool, sin embargo, ya nunca salieron.

[​IMG]

La búsqueda de los buzos inició al ver que había tardado más de lo debido.

El guía español Ismael García Manzanares y 2 brasileños perdieron la vida cuando buceaban en un cenote de la Riviera Maya, en el Caribe mexicano, confirmó hoy el cónsul español Javier Marañón.

El diplomático explicó que los cuerpos de García Manzanares y de los 2 brasileños, aún sin identificar, fueron rescatados cerca de la 01:30 horas locales de hoy, de acuerdo con una llamada telefónica que recibió a esa hora de las autoridades locales.

"Ya nos comunicamos con la familia y la madre (del guía de buceo) ya viene en camino", apuntó el cónsul español en el balneario mexicano de Cancún.

De acuerdo con los primeros informes, los 3 buzos entraron la tarde del jueves al cenote Chac Mool, en la Riviera Maya, pero al ver que no salían transcurrido el tiempo máximo del que disponían de oxígeno en los tanques comenzó un operativo de rescate.

La búsqueda concluyó esta madrugada con la recuperación de 3 cuerpos y hasta el momento se desconoce el motivo del fallecimiento.

3 foreigners divers die in the Riviera Maya

April 20, 2012 By: Editorial / EFE. Photo: Special

Tourists entered Thursday afternoon at Cenote Chac Mool, however, and never left.

The search for the divers began to see what had taken longer than it should.

The Spanish guide Ismael García Manzanares and 2 were killed when Brazilian dived into a cenote in the Riviera Maya on the Mexican Caribbean, today confirmed the Spanish consul Javier Maranon.

The diplomat said that the bodies of García Manzanares and the 2 Brazilians, still unidentified, were rescued near the 01:30 hours local time today, according to a telephone call received at that time of the local authorities.

"Now we communicate with family and mother (the dive guide) is already underway," said the Spanish consul in the Mexican resort of Cancun.

According to early reports, the three divers entered Thursday afternoon at Cenote Chac Mool, the Mayan Riviera, but when he did not go after the maximum time available to oxygen tanks began a rescue operation.

The search ended this morning with the recovery of three bodies and for the moment It is unknown the cause of the deaths.

2. TSandM

TSandM Missed and loved by many.

# of Dives:
    Oh, dear, I wonder what on earth could have happened. There isn't that much cave in Chac Mool, and most of it is big power passage without a lot of branches.

3. lamont

lamont Moderator Staff Member

# of Dives:
    yeah, that's odd...

any chance these were cavern/OW divers that got onto the cave line accidentally or something like that?

4. gitterdun

gitterdun Single Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Very sad... Thoughts and prayers to friends and families.

5. cruiser

cruiser Scuba Instructor

6. MRadke

MRadke Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    There is a least one spot with a skull and crossbones, do not proceed further sign. If they went there, all bets are off.

openmindOW likes this.
  7. lamont

# of Dives:
    On CDF alanf reports:

8. luckydays

luckydays Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I did this dive last summer and did not find it challenging at all but I was in awe of the surroundings so I did not notice a skull and crossbones or any other dangerous conditions. There is a line to follow and I suppose if the place got silted up and if the divers were unable to find the line again, they could get lost. For three people to not make it out of that site though, I am wont to believe that something was wrong with the air.

9. Michael Anthony

Michael Anthony Angel Fish

This is very sad news. Ismael took me on my very first cavern dive, last year. He did an excellent job, it was a super safe experience; and I'm a very conservative diver. I remember a skull and cross bones sign on our dive; and I'll never forget Ismael waiting and watching me carefully to make sure I followed him away from that point. Again, Ismael did a first class job with nothing I could fault in any way. Again, this is very very sad news.

Socorro Chub likes this.
  10. CheddarChick

CheddarChick Loggerhead Turtle

Wow....I have never been cenote diving..I wonder if because it seems so easy, like a tourist attraction, people aren't as cautious. My prayers for the victems families.

11. divinglife

divinglife Scuba Instructor

# of Dives:
    The local diving community was shocked and extremely saddened to hear this news this morning. From what I've heard from part of the rescue team was that they were indeed on a "Cave" line and it is believed they were on that line by mistake. This is causing major ripples in the cave diving community as accidents with guided "Cavern" dives are not common at all!! I believe they are calling for a general meeting for local cavern guides on Monday to decide what action needs to be taken to prevent this type of accident from happening at all. Prayers go out to the divers and families involved.

openmindOW likes this.
  12. gypsyjim

gypsyjim I have an alibi ScubaBoard Supporter

So terribly sad.
    Bad enough to read of any diver lost, but three at once is devastating news. Prayers for the families and friends.

13. Scott L

Scott L Giant Squid

# of Dives:
    I am not a cave diver, but the final whereabouts of the divers should be of interest. Unless bad gas is in play, the guide most probably succumbed attempting to save the other divers...

14. carlitosway

carlitosway Angel Fish

# of Dives:
    I can say this is a bad news.as a cave diver I can say this:acourding to the time they enter at the cenote the daylight was minimum; the group may get disorientated to recognized the exit. my second teory: is not a skull and crossbones near to the cavernline!!!!!

---------- Post added April 20th, 2012 at 05:39 PM ----------

r.i.p.

15. buton

buton Barracuda

I don't know the cenote, but from videos of YouTube, the cavern part seems small then there's cave. On some videos you can see divers with the rental gear going into the cave part of the "cavern". I think when you go into cave you have a lot of back up gear this doesn't show on many YouTube videos..

Sad for the guys and the families... My condolences..

16. ianr33

ianr33 Orca

This was on Cavediver:

<<Steve Gerrard posted this on facebook :

On Thursday, April 19th, 2012 a cavern tour dive guide from the Akumal Dive Shop - Ismael García Manzanares took two customers &#8211; a male and female couple from the Country of Brazil into the upstream cavern zone at approximately 4:00 P.M. They swam beyond the cavern line area to the upstream gold line cave diving line to tour the first &#8220;pretty&#8221; room that exists 100 feet + beyond the safe cavern zone. Apparently, they became disoriented and swam further into the cave area and ran out of air, though the female had 500 psi remaining. The bodies were located and recovered by a cave diving Instructor of the Protec dive store facility located in Playa Del Carmen. The Akumal Dive Shop is a member of APSA.

Though there was a heart attack victim during a cavern tour dive in Cenote Taj Mahal a year ago, this accident represents the first fatalities to occur directly from human error in the Riviera Maya under the APSA cenote diving program since it began in the late 1990&#8217;s. APSA is the Riviera Maya&#8217;s Association of Dive and Water Sports Operators&#8230; Asociasion de Prestadores de Servicios Acuaticos A.C. Playa del Carmen, México. >>

17. Mark Derail

Mark Derail Photographer

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    I asked a Mexican contact I have there if he has more info. Sad news indeed.

If bad air, again, when will the authorities start doing something about it?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  18. Michael Anthony

Michael Anthony Angel Fish

Lets not start speculating about bad air. I know you say "If", but lets not go down that slippery slope. If there is some evidence then we should know. If not, then I don't think it helps to speculate.

suprane, Gdog, Bratface and 3 others like this.
  19. gypsyjim

gypsyjim I have an alibi ScubaBoard Supporter

Amen, although your words are probably just being wasted.

20. lamont

# of Dives:
    the info steve gerrard gave suggests a picture where bad gas is not involved...