Three divers lose their lives at Chac Mool in Riviera Maya. 2 Brazillian, 1 Spaniard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The guide's qualifications aren't very clear to me. I was holding out hope that he was experienced enough to know his way around in there.

Ismael was a cave certified diver. I don't know why he and the two tourists ended up outside the cavern area. Understanding that would probably shine a light on the cause of this tragedy.

Later in the article, a quotation attributed only to an 'expert with 36 years' experience diving in the cenotes' speculates that one of the visiting divers entered a cave area despite warning signs and the other two went looking for the first.
Rather lose speculation I think.

Loose speculation?

Rather lose speculation I think.

Loose speculation?
Perhaps. However, please remember this isn't my speculation, but that of a local "expert." It's possible, as many of the cave S&R divers in Florida can attest, that this "expert" has some insider information that he's not willing to divulge before the official statement is released, and note as well that he has not given the reporter permission to attribute the source. I thought it was worth translating the gist at least.

..... but as expected, someone else will.

Not sure how I feel about the picture.

On the one hand it is a horrible picture and does not do much to preserve the dignity of the deceased. On the other hand a picture like that has the potential to shock a "bold" diver who might have been considering a cave penetration without adequate training in to understanding the folly of that decision.

The news out of this region has been very sad of late - its enough already!!!

Here is the text from the link above:

Divers drown at Playa del Carmen cenote

Spaniard, Brazilian couple die in tragic accident described as "criminal negligence"
*Update below*
Playa del Carmen, Q.R. --
The Yucatán Peninsula is world-famous for its cenotes (see-note-ees), which are water-filled sinkholes or pits. They're a part of the natural landscape here, and they're a major tourist attraction given the extreme heat and humidity which is present during much of the year. Both visitors and locals swim and scuba dive in the cenotes. Some are connected by subterranean tunnels.

Civil Protection services in the community of Solidaridad, part of the Riviera Maya resort of Playa del Carmen, report that three foreign nationals drowned yesterday while exploring the Chac Mool cenote, a site popular with scuba divers. The identities of the victims have not yet been released, but they're said to be a Spanish guide and his clients, a Brazilian husband and wife team. The three became separated from other divers, who sought help.
According to sources, the diving party entered the water about 4:00 p.m. carrying less than an hour's supply of oxygen. When the cenote closed at 5:00 p.m. the three still had not surfaced, but authorities were not notified for almost seven hours. The bodies of the victims were discovered by a search team after midnight. Although the guide was said to be a highly experienced master diver and worked for a local shop which caters to tourists, there is evidence the victims may have ignored warning signs and entered zones clearly marked as dangerous. One source reported the guide's safety line might have been cut, preventing the victims from finding their way back to the surface. It is unclear why the dive shop or cenote caretakers didn't call for emergency assistance sooner. The divers had been dead for at least six hours when their bodies were recovered, according to police.

Both the dive shop and the cenote management remain under investigation by the state prosecutor's office.

The video below was shot by a visitor to Chac Mool several years ago and illustrates the interior of the cenote, which is said to be about 25 feet deep where the victims were found.

Update Apr. 21: The dead today have been identified as Ismael García Manzanares, 34, a Spanish citizen and the guide, and a Brazilian couple, José Brugnaro Neto, 34, and Renata Alvez Quireno Costa de Brugnaro, 36, who were recently married. A local Q.R. newspaper calls their deaths "criminal negligence."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom