Thursday 3rd August, 2006 - Weighin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, its me again...Colby's belt comment made me think of something last night which I want to share with you. I accidently stumbled onto a solution for having to punch holes in belts.

When I was looking through old clothes looking for something to wear I discovered a belt that had gotten packed away when I moved apartments last Jan. Its a woven or braided or laced belt (different makers call them different things), here are a couple of examples: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BI7QM6/sr=1-62/qid=1154738271/ref=sr_1_62/002-3873231-9456023?ie=UTF8&s=apparel, http://www.josbank.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=7014&pcount=&Product_Id=98586.

Since there are no holes in the belt, you can continue to use it as you lose weight and never have to punch unsightly holes in the leather. As you lose weight you do wind up with a lot of belt to be tucked in the belt loops, but its more versatile than a belt with fixed holes. My belt must have 8 inches (20cm) or so hanging off the end when I put it on now.

Cheers,
Drew

:wave-smil to all of us!

well done Buddha! we all know how it feels to get on those scales and see what we are aiming for so CONGRATS!!

Ok, first can I join?

Here is a little history ok big history.

I am 6'1" and 282 Lbs now I was doing the Atkins diet long time ago but leveled out and lost interest. I was 334 pounds so I did make a some loss, My goal is 200 pounds.

I work shift work and every three months I switch so I go from 4 PM - 12 AM to 12 AM
- 8 AM which I am on now. We bought a treadmill about three months ago and for the fist month used it hard. Now both me and my wife never look at it.

My wife gives up when she does not see any progress and never looks back, she is not majorly over weight like myself, so no biggie for her. We have four daughters that we have to cook for and eating seperately from them makes it hard.

I have read your stories since 7/27 and you guys are all great. I wish I could of found this thread two months ago but no better time than now

The belt thing is what got me, Colby, You are doing great keep up the good work. You all are doing great and I hope that I can do the same.

g'day FW and WELCOME!!

we love new joiners and will be looking for you every thursday to tell us how youre doing!

you have already done such fantastic work already so i hope you can get soemthing from us to spur you onto more success!

i started loosing weight back in May when i joined SureSlim and finally seem to have found the thing for me to get it happen. lots of fresh veggies and small portions of protien, 3 meals per day and 5hrs breaks between them - my hubby on the other hand is a power lifter with a trainer so he has 5 small meals a day with lots of protein so there are many ways of making positive changes to your life!

4 daughters!! oh my, you must never get a bathroom to yourself im guessing :D

so please feel welcomed and start making a change today, either get back on that treadmill or go for a swim or even walk around the house 3 times! you have come so far already - just a little bit more to reach your goal - you can do it!!

cheers

Thanks Almitywife.

No I do not get a bothroom, I come to work for one :D

I like your 3 meal 5 hours seperated. Since I am on the 12 AM - 8 AM it sucks figure out when to eat. I go home and am starving so I eat then go to bed or I eat at work and then go home to bed. I usually slepp about 4 to 5 hours then wake up and spend time with the family. Then get told your grumpy go back to sleep around 7 to get three more hours of sleep before work. I eat around 6 PM with the family. I like the vetetables but does it matter if they are fresh or canned? Thrid watch sucks on the body and MIND:confused:

shift duty sucks in general.... rotating shifts are exhausting!

my thing is organic fresh fruit and veggies... i work for a global garden/fertilizer comapny and i know whats in the chemicals so i have organic stuff home delivered every week and as we dont own a microwave everything i cook is fresh. my boss isnt too happy with me, let me tell you.

if you have to go with canned veggies - read the labels and ask yourself would it be better to choose in season fresh instead of all the sugars and chemicals in the cans and see if your store has a organic can veggie/fruit section as i know ours does.

what ive been doing for the past 3 months is also not to mix my protiens, so for each meal i have only one type of protein and i dont repeat the protien for the day. so for brekkie i might have 2 eggs and veggeis, lunch mozerella cheese and rye bread and salad and dinner chicken and veggies.

oh, and a apple a day for every breakfast!! it kick starts your system and is a bit of a natural caffine fix apparently. i never use to have brekkie but a apple each morning at the least gets me started

hubbys trainer also had him start writing out a food diary and he was surprised by how many times he nibbled on stuff or went to the snack machine and then he realized how many times he did it a week so i upped his fruit in his lunch box to get him thru the habit

cheers

FW, welcome aboard!

As Almity says there are a number of ways to get it done. I am on the 5-6 small meal a day plan with a good size breakfast to start the day and no big meals at the end of the day a couple of hours before bed. The big thing is to get you metabolism working all of the time. When you skip a meal, your body starts storing anything it can in terms of energy, slows down the metabolism, etc.

As Almity says, organic products really help. The more natural you can eat, steamed veggies or even raw, the easier it is for your body to digest it. Processed foods are the hardest, and stay away from the items that have processed sugars. They are empty calories that do nothing but get stored as fat. This really includes pop and ice cream (good job Jenny getting rid of that!)

This is a tremendous group that I love being a part of. We have taken control of our lives and health and spur each other on with our positive stories of success, and support when we slip a little bit. I look forward to hearing your progress each and every week!

Welcome Floridawannabe, I've been here less than a week and feel at home already. This is a great place support and empathy, nobody understands like we do.

I've been at it since the first week of May and have gone from 370lbs to 319lbs mainly by diet change and a little exercise (actually hurt my knee and needed surgery so that kept from exercise for a few weeks). My dietary routine (didn't want to use the word diet because I don't see it that way) is pretty similar to almitywife, although I think she actually keeps track of things more than I do. I have read a couple of books, have a rough understanding of what is good and bad and try to stay within those bounds.

You asked about canned veggies, and as others have mentioned, for various reasons its better to go with fresh, in-season veggies. I've even heard the benefits of this go back to our genes from our hunter/gather forebears, but regardless, fresh is definitely better. I am fortunate to live next to a market and picking up veggies after work is not a problem.

I have a similar story to your treadmill story, I made an effort (well not much of one, I didn't really change my eating at the time) about 3.5 years ago to lose weight. I bought a very nice rowing machine because I wanted a low impact work out. I used it 3 times, thought jeez, this is boring, and haven't used it since. I now go to the gym (which happens to be in my building) several times a week and do 45-60 mins on the treadmill.

For weight loss, the key is not high intensity, but time (at least according to my doctor). He tells me to do 1 hour at 50~60% of my maximal heartrate. This is not very difficult at all, in fact sometimes it seems too slow. I often work my heartrate up to a bit higher than this.

The important things is to do something, anything, as almitywife said, walk around house if that's what works.

Good luck and hope to hear great things from you.

Cheers,
Drew

I learned that cauliflower recipe from South Beach and it is very good. I gave it to my son without telling him what it was (because then he wouldn't have eaten it :D ) and he liked it a lot. Of course it's summer here in the US so I'm not making it now.
I had a really bad week at work and physically. I hurt my shoulder and couldn't work out. Had a lot of stress at work and didn't take care of myself. So I gained 1.5 lbs. But I'm back under control so that feels good.
BTW, I won't be online much during the day at work. New rule at work and the president caught me surfing, so I'm the poster girl for bad behavior.:mooner:
But I am going to do this challenge with you guys, but I'll post my gains (or losses) on Sunday because that's my regular weigh in day.

Fairybasslet, sorry to hear about you injury.

Check in when you can, we will all be here!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom