Tip for OW classes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't comment much on the tipping of the DM, as my OW class was a 1:1 with the instructor due to his inability to find other interested students in October in Maine. I will say, however, that even though I paid him for his time, I felt the class was so worthwhile and he did such a great job that I ended up tipping him in the form of a thank you gift (diving related, of course!) for everything he did. Not saying this is the way to go, either, but I felt it was a necessary gesture in my case.

My views on this are known. Hope to DM soon myself, but still feel:
--Shop, not Instructor should pay DMs--not talking about tips
--It was nice for the DM that the Instructor mentioned the 20%, but that's like a restaurent including the gratuity.
It could be a little offensive to ask the student for another $60. Maybe a suggestion of a tip for good work would be more appropriate. As stated, tipping varies in countries, but a tip should be something the student thinks of or decides on.
--In classes I've taken or DMCd I have never seen a tip at our shop.

I think it is not proper to tip in a class environment - you paid for the class. Any and all expenses have to be discussed upfront before they ask you to pay for the class.
During fun dives, tipping is up to you.

--Shop, not Instructor should pay DMs--not talking about tips

Does the shop require DM's (as Certified Assistants, not talking about DMCs) to work with an Instructor during their classes? If so, I agree the shop should pay both.

However, if an Instructor asks the DM to help, that shouldn't be the shop's issue, but rather the Instructor's issue.

As an instructor I guess I dont understand this. When I teach classes (medical stuff) I have a price for the class which covers all my cost including "helpers". My job (that I was hired for) is to give them the best information and hands on training to help them pass the class. Tips are not for doing ones job. Tips are for people who go above and beyond expectations. I would never dream of accepting tips for my classes but I have got cards and that is very much appreciated. Also the fact of knowing students pass there classes is the reward.

Now if I was going way out of my way and putting in lots of extra time outside of class or similar I would consider taking compensation for that since that is not part of the actual class.

BTW: PADI OW averages $300 around here.

Last edited:
$300 for OW certification?

That's rather cheap, and no where near proper compensation for the time and energy that the instructor and DM have invested.
It is too good to be truth!!
The instructor should know what to charge in the beginning!! I believe he has to "honour" his original quote even if he is losing money. He learnt his lesson and charge more next time.
$60.00 as tip for the dm in this case is absurd.

Well she tipped so no hurt feelings to you working DMs. But, surprise fees after a person has started a class does nothing but make that person feel like they were taken advantage of. We will be taking our business elsewhere from here on out. The fee almost doubled by the end of the course.

I never quite understand the US 'tip culture', where tips are seen as obligatory and can form part of staff's predicted earnings. I see a tip as something given voluntarily, if the service is above and beyond the what you expect (and have paid for).

I wish I could "demand" 20%... or any anything... from my customers, it'd have a major impact on my income and subsequent quality of life. I rarely/occasionally get a tip circa 5-10%, but most customers prefer to buy a few beers or a meal. Personally, I'm just glad to get that feedback that they've enjoyed the course and value the effort I put into it.

Does the shop require DM's (as Certified Assistants, not talking about DMCs) to work with an Instructor during their classes? If so, I agree the shop should pay both.

However, if an Instructor asks the DM to help, that shouldn't be the shop's issue, but rather the Instructor's issue.

Agree completely. If the ratios dictate there must be a cert. assistant the shop should pay the DM. If not, and the shop doesn't pay, the Instructor should pay his DM. It would say a lot for instructor, who would pay out of his/her own pocket to improve the class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom